Would Prime Anderson Silva get owned by Sean Strickland?

At the end of the day you need to build your points around a dramatically weaker and slowed down version of Silva in his 40s.
I think Silva always would have struggled with a fighter like Weidman, Bisping and how Strickland fought against Izzy. He probably would have found a finish or round stealing knockdowns in his prime.
Lets see Israel in his 40s and judge his abilites upon that.
I have Silva still as the greatest MW, even if I'm not sure he wins a head to head match with Izzy, even though I can guarantee that match would be cancer to watch. Izzy probably isn't shot, but he's had almost as much wear and tear as Silva had by his late UFC career.
At the tail end of his career still fought him with extreme cautioun because they knew there was no myth about his abilities so better not trust too much on age and mileage slowing him down.
It was more of a myth. Bruson outfought him in the clinch, and Hall more or less accidentally knocked him out and was surprised when he did. Again, it's a credit to Silva that his myth was that prevelant at the end of his career. I'm not slighting the dude.

Silva would have always struggled with good pressure and combination punching built around a jab. The only difference is whether or not he would have found his hail mary or not.
Like he struggled with Rich Franklin and Vitor Belfort?

{<hhh]

Yeah, like an artist, he was painting a picture, not notching out rounds. He came to prove he was better by winning decisively. In his prime, other than a couple notable exceptions, he was putting a stamp on his finishes. I believe neither Bisping, Sean, Izzy, nor Poatan make it out alive. But these are only mental or imaginative exercises. We can never know.
Agree on Bisping, maybe Sean (I think a contentious decisino here. Poatan actually beats Silva I think, the leg kicks and pressure, combined with body punching is a bad matchup imo. Maybe Silva finds a miracle knockout, but Peirera is more than capable of knocking out prime Silva. The funny thing is, I think Poatan's left hook is a more technical punch than anything Silva would throw, even if that's neither here or there.

As I Said above, I think Izzy might win, but it would be a miserable dance off/staring contest. Ditto with Romero. But like you said, just opinions at this point.

Like he struggled with Rich Franklin and Vitor Belfort?

{<hhh]
Neither were good, technical pressure fighters who stayed over their feet and were willing to accept work rate and small wins to take rounds while minimizing risk. Completely different fighters than someone of Weidman or Bisping's mold.

Rich Franklin, Hendo, Forest Griffin would decimate Izzy with ease. Hell, even Cung Le would beat Izzy.

Silva had great punches and hand trapping so it’s just not the same fight at all.

Neither were good, technical pressure fighters who stayed over their feet and were willing to accept work rate and small wins to take rounds while minimizing risk. Completely different fighters than someone of Weidman or Bisping's mold.
Franklin and Belfort weren't of "Bisping's mold"?

Franklin was a respected champ with multiple title defenses, while Bisping is widely considered the weakest male champ of the modern era, or if not the weakest then second weakest right behind Matt Serra. His win over Rockhold is regarded by most as the biggest fluke in title fight history.

And Belfort? Really? The guy literally knocked the retina out of Ping's eyeball.

giphy.gif

The Anderson that fought against Maia/Lutter would lose.
The Anderson that fought against Vitor/Forrest/Hendo would win.
Really depends on which Anderson would show up. Strickland was built by God to make counter strikers uncomfortable. Worst Anderson vs best Izzy is much closer than people want to admit.
Anderson dominated Maia and lutter.they were terrified of silva

Franklin and Belfort weren't of "Bisping's mold"?

Franklin was a respected champ with multiple title defenses, while Bisping is widely considered the weakest male champ of the modern era, or if not the weakest then second weakest right behind Matt Serra. His win over Rockhold is regarded by most as the biggest fluke in title fight history.

And Belfort? Really? The guy literally knocked the retina out of Ping's eyeball.
You realize that all three had very distinct striking styles? Which is irrelevant to head to head matches between the three. The fact is that Bisping was the best at staying over his feet out of the three and the best jab and feinter of them. Hence he matched up better with Silva.

You use a lot of mmamath for such a longstanding fan of the sport.

Anderson made a career of fighting brawlers/aggressive kickboxers. Who’d he fight like Sean?

forrest griffin and bisping off the top of my head both had very similar styles. Prodding strikers with decent jabs but low power. Good cardio etc

Here it is guys. Izzy was never that good.
<31>

Hard to say. Prime Silva got subbed by 2 significantly worse fighters than Sean Strickland.

The most skilled striker of all time is without a shred of a doubt, Anderson Silva. No ands, ifs, or buts...

Anderson is the greatest striker of all time. The Goat Striker.

I wonder what some of your thoughts would be on who's the #2 and #3 striker of all time.

Back