Would you give up your self identity and memories to have a second chance at life?

No.

My life is mine. The lessons I've received in this one, I deserved and needed to learn.

My life's no candy, but it's mine.
Hope I end this one with dignity and hopefully get a better one next time.
Agree. The people in my life are special to me, I’m not willing to give up my memories and experiences with them.
If there are future lives though, I doubt I’ve got the karma to get a better one next time. I’m fucked next time I think.

Most of the users here are from the western hemisphere. Why would they give up winning the geographic lottery?

The whole point of doing it again is not making the same mistakes. In this scenario you'll be making mistakes just like this time, just different ones.

You would be dead. Every person is the same thing with different self identity and no memories.

You describe what Buddhists believe in regards to reincarnation. Only your second chance could be on a random plane in hell.. or as cat.

Agree. The people in my life are special to me, I’m not willing to give up my memories and experiences with them.
If there are future lives though, I doubt I’ve got the karma to get a better one next time. I’m fucked next time I think.
Every single human who's ever existed has fucked something up in his/her life. Every single one.

'Cept, maybe, the mythical Jesus.
I can't be so sure about the historical Jesus.

You're still kicking, that means you still have a chance to turn things around.

giphy.gif

If I could hit the reset button, I would. I'm not unhappy with my life per se, I just feel like I could have done better if I had taken some more risks along the way.

Furthermore, I'm really interested in seeing how this century develops.

You describe what Buddhists believe in regards to reincarnation. Only your second chance could be on a random plane in hell.. or as cat.

bff5d074d399bdfec6071e9168398406.jpg

Pretend that in the future, we will be able to build simulations that give you a chance at a second life starting from being born as a baby. However, to be "reincarnated" you would have to give up your current sense of self and memories. Would you do it?

Trick question.

996442C0-9259-47A1-8FE8-E64836A57F86.gif

I've thought about this before, at my lowest moments.

If I retained nothing? No.

If I retained what I have now? Yes.

I look at most of my past and just see boring bollocks, with the exception of one or two things. Aside from a couple of trips, I screwed things up and I haven't really lived at all.

Mum wouldn't miss me or be any worse off if she never had me, though I do love her.

I love my girlfriend and to be honest, she's the only one that I'd really worry about, because she was in a shit situation before she met me, then lost everything when she met me, but was better off for it (she was stuck with an abusive disabled tenant that she couldn't get rid of, went bankrupt and lost her home and many possessions, but was able to get rid of him once it happened). Maybe I'd try to befriend her as a young man?

Honestly, if I retained my memories, I'd reset over and over again. If not? There is no point.

Fuck no. I worked hard to become the person I am today. Nobody is taking that away from me.

Not so much... at this point anyway.

Without your identity and memories it wouldn't be you.
everyone saying yes I dont think they understand what they are agreeing to.

if you say yes, you are suicidal. You are committing suicide for a stranger(even if its you, its not YOU right now. it would only be you in genetics)

I must say though, if such a button did exist to reset my life it would be really tempting regardless. I still don't think I would press it if it totally randomized my beginnings because of all that could go wrong (born as a slave in some 3rd world shithole etc), but I have lost almost all interest in my life and would welcome another shot at it if I could start over.

if I did that I would be dead in a way. altered carbon sort of captures the essence of consciousness well with the stacks in some ways those memories are more important to who we are than our bodies.

Do we live the same life we have, just not remembering any of it? Will i be me just from scratch again with the same family, born in Australia and everything just the same?

if so, nope.

Back