"You've never boxed!" is a stupid argument against criticism for boxers.

Major League Baseball front offices are full of people who never played the game and it's not by accident.

If only people who participated in a sport at a high level could talk about the sport (and discussing something will occasionally entail criticism) then sports would die.

I think someone else hit the nail on the head earlier. There's a difference between criticism and delusion. "I think he should've done X" is different than "I would've knocked him out/he's a bum/etc."

Like this.
For example basketball and soccer/ football are more discussed sports than boxing.
More $ overall in too.
/
I don't think that 90% from fans paying for tickets and ppvs etc....had even medium amateur level for local scene.

Restaurants too are getting critics while not likely even 0,01% from these critics ever were pro chiefs in some restaurant.

While client = paying customer.

Actors! ∆∆∆ Here, not likely even 0,0001% from ppl judging them had been actors.

Public is public.

I bet youre a lot of fun at parties. And politics aint like the other things because its not (supposed to be) entertainment
cooking isn't entertainment either.

boxing being entertainment has fuck all to do with whether or not we can provide critique without experiencing it firsthand.

I hate it when someone criticizes a boxer, and someone else replies with, "You've never boxed, so you have no right to criticize!". The idea that you need to have boxed to know whether someone is a good fighter or not is, quite frankly, stupid. You don't need to be a gourmet chef to know whether someone's cooking is good or bad.
your comparison makes more sense if you compare not being a gourmet chef and knowing something tastes bad to not being a boxer and knowing that a punch hurts.

Someone who didnt study cooking can also not evaluate the technical qualities of a gourmet chef

Cooking?
It depends also from clients therefore there are different meals and " kitchens ".
For example xx variations for restaurant.

In boxing for some fans likes styles aka to outpoint opponent and always move a lot.
For some % better likes guys immediately rushing to attempt KO opponent ...
Some % of fans hates trashtalks, some % loves to listen and read up such stuff.
Etc.

cooking isn't entertainment either.

boxing being entertainment has fuck all to do with whether or not we can provide critique without experiencing it firsthand.

Of course anyone can provide critique but not everyone's opinions are worth something. Yours, for example, is worth fuck all especially when it comes to boxing.

But music, film, literature, sports, etc. are all entertainment. There are literal critics in those fields whose job it is to review music. Most of the time though the best reviewers are the ones who have a greater understanding of what's happening. That's why people loved the color commentary from Malignaggi, BHop, Ward, Emmanuel Steward, etc. It's also why people LOATHED color commentary from people like Larry Merchant or Harold Lederman - two guys that literally never boxed but paraded around like experts...experts of what exactly??

What kind of real top level fighters were for example Karelin's coach or Cus D'Amato?
Cus IRL was able to spar when was younger not old + he had daTech Streetz under belt....just didn't had license for pro cos eyes problem and ofc he wasn't usable for much larger and younger than he Floyd or Mike to .....spar with.
Doesn't means that he wasn't able to deal with average joe in local pub easily...
Karelin's coach had helped xx fighters to be good despite he was considerably smaller than they were and for this reason wasn't usable to do sparring with them.

Of course anyone can provide critique but not everyone's opinions are worth something. Yours, for example, is worth fuck all especially when it comes to boxing.

But music, film, literature, sports, etc. are all entertainment. There are literal critics in those fields whose job it is to review music. Most of the time though the best reviewers are the ones who have a greater understanding of what's happening. That's why people loved the color commentary from Malignaggi, BHop, Ward, Emmanuel Steward, etc. It's also why people LOATHED color commentary from people like Larry Merchant or Harold Lederman - two guys that literally never boxed but paraded around like experts...experts of what exactly??
there are literal critics in every field whose job is to analyze the field. entertainment or not. what's your point?

so you've boxed professionally? can we see your fights?

"Have you ever boxed" is usually the thing that gets said when somebody has lost an argument or when someone doesn't agree with someone elses opinion...which is most threads ha.
Majority of the forum probably haven't had more that 10 ammy fights me included....although I wasn't far off but it does grind on me, you've just got to brush it off as irrelevant.

Let's be honest don't need to be a boxer to know Audley Harrison was shit.

Majority here are re-living our youth and just enjoy the sport and share knowledge and advice or have or have a few different interests...don't need to be a tradesmen to know someone's work is shit.

Doesn't matter if it's not entertainment, the point is that you've probably criticized someone else's performance in a job/activity you've never done. Certain people (like you) get real sensitive when fans don't like watching certain fighters or enjoy their performance. At the end of the day a fan has every right to feel that the fight sucked or wasn't enjoyable or feel that a particular fighter just isn't very good.
I was with you until the last statement.

you haven't your right to like what you like but saying a fghter sucks or criticizing skills when you dont know what you are watching technically opens the door to you being factually wrong
"I hate fighter x he put a me to sleep" ok that's an opinion a doucheyone but ok
"fighter x sucks he is a runner not a real fighter" that one young can be wrong

I was with you until the last statement.

you haven't your right to like what you like but saying a fghter sucks or criticizing skills when you dont know what you are watching technically opens the door to you being factually wrong
"I hate fighter x he put a me to sleep" ok that's an opinion a doucheyone but ok
"fighter x sucks he is a runner not a real fighter" that one young can be wrong
So you've never watched a movie and thought it sucked? You've never read a book and thought it was subpar? You've never criticized a sports team that has a bad record? It doesn't take a genius to realize when a fighter isn't very good. In fact, saying a movie is bad is way more subjective and less obvious than saying a fighter is bad. For the record I don't like it when the crowd boos a fight, especially when it's only round 1 or if it's a tactical bout. I think booing is incredibly crass and disrespectful. If you don't enjoy watching a particular fighter then go do something else for the time being and come back after the fight is done. I'm also not advocating people saying "he's a pussy, I could do better."

So you've never watched a movie and thought it sucked? You've never read a book and thought it was subpar? You've never criticized a sports team that has a bad record? It doesn't take a genius to realize when a fighter isn't very good. In fact, saying a movie is bad is way more subjective and less obvious than saying a fighter is bad. For the record I don't like it when the crowd boos a fight, especially when it's only round 1 or if it's a tactical bout. I think booing is incredibly crass and disrespectful. If you don't enjoy watching a particular fighter then go do something else for the time being and come back after the fight is done. I'm also not advocating people saying "he's a pussy, I could do better."
sorry my predictive text changed you have the right to you haven't the right
lol
like I said you can say stuff sucks
but when you are trying say people aren't fighters or are terrible cowardly etc.. when you have never laced em is a bad look and can be pretty off base when you hve no reference

True but its irritating when someone says “he’s a quitter”

Anyone thats boxed a round in their life would never say that

that depends sort of. Because there are boxer who legit do quit. though 99% of the time we use quitter a guy is being beaten to death gets knocked down and takes the count.

or there is victor ortiz who legit is a quitter.

that depends sort of. Because there are boxer who legit do quit. though 99% of the time we use quitter a guy is being beaten to death gets knocked down and takes the count.

If you’re referencing the post fight interview of a concussed man, i’m gonna have to disagree w calling Ortiz a quitter.

If he were active today he would have a great chance at playing the “mental health” card and you would be ostracized from here for calling someone with mental problems a quitter, anyway, I guess you can legit call someone like him a quitter, boxing is 90% mental and you shouldnt be in a championship fight if you cant get your shit together I think

sorry my predictive text changed you have the right to you haven't the right
lol
like I said you can say stuff sucks
but when you are trying say people aren't fighters or are terrible cowardly etc.. when you have never laced em is a bad look and can be pretty off base when you hve no reference
I never said "people aren't fighters" or "they're pussies." I even outlined that at the end of my statement.

I hate it when someone criticizes a boxer, and someone else replies with, "You've never boxed, so you have no right to criticize!". The idea that you need to have boxed to know whether someone is a good fighter or not is, quite frankly, stupid. You don't need to be a gourmet chef to know whether someone's cooking is good or bad.

The fact that you are even using a cooking analogy here says enough.

There are degrees to how much people can critisize if they never competed. Its funniest when you see complete slobs critisizing say a boxer for gassing out in say the mid rounds. Like bitch, you woulda gassed out walking to the damn ring, the fuck do you know about stamina, let alone how your stamina and endurance is effected when someone is consistently delivering body blows to you.

I understand its MMA, but Matt Serra pretty much summed it up in the above clip.

Last edited:
is the wasteland still here?
It’s called the “light weights” for some reason. Which imo is prejudice to the little people fighters.

Though the UFC section was once called the heavies.

I’ve never run a forum, and yet, This thread sucks.

Back