International 1400 Dolphins killed in 1 day

Why — because they are cute? Sounds like this particular hunt was botched, but they aren't an endangered species. If you mean because they are intelligent, you should probably be spending that energy decrying the US slaughtering over 250,000 pigs with similar intelligence levels, every day of the year.

Regulation is always a good thing so I don't think just mass taking of species without regulation is ok but on principle killing dolphins for food im ok with...

Why — because they are cute? Sounds like this particular hunt was botched, but they aren't an endangered species. If you mean because they are intelligent, you should probably be spending that energy decrying the US slaughtering over 250,000 pigs with similar intelligence levels, every day of the year.

Yeah but wild animals are not the same. Its why there are generally regulations in place. Domesticated animals are a different discussion. Obviously there has to be some regulation on wild animals.

This isn't just a problem of killing intelligent animals, or eating meat.

They aren't farming dolphins. There is no control here. Killing 1,500 of them in one day is careless and unsustainable.
They had too few people, and couldn't even "humanely" kill them. They can't even process and sell/eat all of those dolphins. They just piled up the bodies like trash.
Their reason for doing this is "culture", not for food.

This isn't just a problem of killing intelligent animals, or eating meat.

They aren't farming dolphins. There is no control here. Killing 1,500 of them in one day is careless and unsustainable.
They had too few people, and couldn't even "humanely" kill them. They can't even process and sell/eat all of those dolphins. They just piled up the bodies like trash.
Their reason for doing this is "culture", not for food.
The conservation status of the species is fine and appears to number in the hundreds of thousands. It is a managed fishery as well so Im sure the botched take of this superpod will get factored in to future quotas, although availability of large pods of white sided dolphin for grinds is not common anyway.

The hunt is always non commercial, and considering the community can absorb 600+ pilot whales a year, 5-10x times the total meat from this pod of dolphins, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to use the meat unless you've seen otherwise, I haven't in any of the media coverage (let's just say I'll take the sea Shepard volunteer's assumption they can't with a grain of salt).

That said, I reckon when all is said and done in the aftermath, they will regret not letting this pod go lols

Last edited:
The conservation status of the species is fine and appears to number in the hundreds of thousands. It is a managed fishery as well so Im sure the botched take of this superpod will get factored in to future quotas, although availability of large pods of white sided dolphin for grinds is not common anyway.

The hunt is always non commercial, and considering the community can absorb 600+ pilot whales a year, 5-10x times the total meat from this pod of dolphins, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to use the meat unless you've seen otherwise, I haven't in any of the media coverage.

Whether the animals are endangered or not isn't what I mostly care about.
It's doing the killings in the inhumane and wasteful manner that they do it, and then claim it's for reasons of culture.
They're an island of 50,000 people, and then they casually killed 1,500 dolphins in a single day. They aren't some impoverished nation that relies on dolphin meat to survive.
I don't see how they can process all the bodies and meat before it goes to waste, especially considering how 'botched' the whole thing was from the start.

Wild v farmed. Used vs wasted.

People would complain about 1600 cows being slaughtered " on accident " btw...

Wild v farmed. Used vs wasted.

People would complain about 1600 cows being slaughtered " on accident " btw...

What does wild vs farmed matter? Farmed animals still have whatever sentience wild ones do. It only should matter as far as it is unsustainable, which this is not unless the Faroes starts grinding one of these superpods every day.

And i have yet to see how these animals were wasted, the Faroes consume a lot more marine mammal meat than this pod.

The last bit about the cows is kind of my point, I'm not sure I saw the outrage on sherdog when the ventilation fans were shut off on a couple million pigs' and the heat cranked up so they could suffocate to death to save money early in the pandemic.

Whether the animals are endangered or not isn't what I mostly care about.
It's doing the killings in the inhumane and wasteful manner that they do it, and then claim it's for reasons of culture.
They're an island of 50,000 people, and then they casually killed 1,500 dolphins in a single day. They aren't some impoverished nation that relies on dolphin meat to survive.
I don't see how they can process all the bodies and meat before it goes to waste, especially considering how 'botched' the whole thing was from the start.

Your argument isn't really valid. These people process and distribute the meat to the citizens. They eat the meat and blubber, it actually IS sustainable, you are only suspicious that's it's some grand scale waste as they couldn't possibly process all of it therefore wrong.

America, Canada and western Europe are all highly developed countries yet practice mass slaughter for farming all the time and I promise you it's much worse than this. Despite this we don't turn around and say what you said about them not needing to be dependent on pork or beef because they are a massively wealthy country. It's just a weird argument to make.

The fact is there isn't anything really wrong about this at all. It's just our perceptions of it.

What does wild vs farmed matter? Farmed animals still have whatever sentience wild ones do. It only should matter as far as it is unsustainable, which this is not unless the Faroes starts grinding one of these superpods every day.

And i have yet to see how these animals were wasted, the Faroes consume a lot more marine mammal meat than this pod.

The last bit about the cows is kind of my point, I'm not sure I saw the outrage on sherdog when the ventilation fans were shut off on a couple million pigs' and the heat cranked up so they could suffocate to death to save money early in the pandemic.

There's a reason it wasn't done on porpoise ( couldn't help it ). Wild / farmed matters hugely because they are part of the eco system.. Because the removal of any superpod / herd / pride / pack of apex predators is going to have massive implications in the entire eco system.. I don't care if they're smart or cute whatever. There's a huge difference between wild and farmed scientifically with the ramifications too the eco system.

If you posted the article about the poor pigs there would have been outrage... why didn't you? Didn't care enough? was there footage? You do know how the internet works right? Blood n guts always sells.

This seems like a really good way to get doxxed and harassed by the internet.

There's a reason it wasn't done on porpoise ( couldn't help it ). Wild / farmed matters hugely because they are part of the eco system.. Because the removal of any superpod / herd / pride / pack of apex predators is going to have massive implications in the entire eco system.. I don't care if they're smart or cute whatever. There's a huge difference between wild and farmed scientifically with the ramifications too the eco system.
you can't just cite 'ecosystem', you actually have to demonstrate detriment. The population numbers in the hundreds of thousands in the Atlantic and it is wide ranging, the take of this pod won't have 'massive implications' for the ecosystem.

Btw this grind was done on purpose, while they said they originally thought the pod numbered 200, they drove it for 45 km during which it would have been readily apparent how many there were.

you can't just cite 'ecosystem', you actually have to demonstrate detriment. The population numbers in the hundreds of thousands in the Atlantic and it is wide ranging, the take of this pod won't have 'massive implications' for the ecosystem.

Btw this grind was done on purpose, while they said they originally thought the pod numbered 200, they drove it for 45 km during which it would have been readily apparent how many there were.

Oh OK. Let's just keep killing everything in mass numbers.... it'll always pan out well..

Back