International 1400 Dolphins killed in 1 day

That wasn't what I was implying.
Do you think the year is 1840? The US imports about 30% of its vegetables and about half of its fruit. There are plenty of island nations that don't have sprawling farm land and wildlife.
I'm not making an argument for what is better, I'm just shutting down this argument that their only choice is whale and dolphin or they starve to death. They aren't some tribal island that is disconnected from the rest of the modern world. They are not just subsiding on dolphin sandwiches, dolphin casserole, and sauted dolphin blubber. But that's a separate argument altogether.

You're trying to read into more than what I am presently arguing.
We are talking about this particular day where they killed 1,500. If they didn't have enough people to hunt, how could they have enough people to process?
And I am curious if you found something that talked about their eating habits.
In something I read, it doesnt seem to be what you said. Granted, the information is dated. And when I checked the official site, they don't have this particular information there anymore.

https://seashepherd.org/2014/06/27/why-are-whales-and-dolphins-killed-in-the-faroe-islands/

https://www.whaling.fo/en/q-a/

I'm not seeing how they are avoiding damage from mercury if all they've been eating is whale and dolphin for the past few generations.
If there are dolphins and whales in the water, then there are also fish and other seafood.

You keep trying to tie this practice in to some form of tribal barbarism but cannot, outside of your suspicion of wastefulness, articulate why it's bad practice. We have hundreds of years of history telling us how these people live off of the land in what way it manifests itself in their cuisine. There is no mystery here. These people literally live off of whale meat.

Take this from the faroeislands website:
Due to the climate-based limitations to agriculture and technological limitations to fishing, the art of survival was a challenge to the first many generations of Faroese people. It was a struggle to obtain enough in terms of both quantity and quality of nutrients. As a result, the Faroese learned to utilize every bit of every fish caught, every mammal slaughtered, and every bird netted. In addition to putting every part of their catch to good use, they also tried to store as much as possible for hard times.
Here is an example of this:
FI-Heimablidni-1.jpg

aged whale meat, aged sheep leg (?), blubber and what seems to be fermented fish. You know when you go to a get together and you see a charcuterie board with aged meats and cheese? Well this is what the Faroese are offering.

The fact that they didn't have enough people to hunt probably coincides with the fact that it was a historically unprecedented amount of whales that washed ashore. Do you think they know exactly how many whales are going to present themselves every year? This isn't an exact science. They keep records of it every year so generally speaking they have a rough estimation but it isn't outside the realm of possibility that they didn't realize the vast quantities they were dealing with on this particular day.

Your primary argument = It's probably wasteful. No it probably isn't, these people literally consume the entirety of the animal and age the meat. The blubber is consumed as a snack and as a cooking oil at times. Fermented meat is also a big part of Faroese cuisine . It's not unsustainable, It's not some outdated tribalism either. It also is not unethical nor cruel. This is called hunting and a lot of urban folk unintelligibly take issue with it.

Also what you read was from the sea shepherd. These people are some of the biggest opponents of the grind and often present it the way you do. As some unintelligible outdated practice. Their primary arguments aren't even based on wastefullness like yours but rather that it doesn't need to happen in the first place. The cite the fact that it's a delicacy and not a necessity. So what? Are we to stop eating anything that is considered a delicacy because we don't have to anymore? They also talk about Mercury which in all faireness is the greatest argument they have. It is worrisome that it's as toxic as it is but is it really a good enough argument to get them to stop the practice?

Here's a video featuring the Faroese and the sea shepherds concerning the grind.

In short there really isn't much of an argument besides the mercury levels. Outside of that any appeal to tribalism or cruelty or unsustainability isn't based on anything other than some irrational perception of people hunting cute dolphins/whales.

Why — because they are cute? Sounds like this particular hunt was botched, but they aren't an endangered species. If you mean because they are intelligent, you should probably be spending that energy decrying the US slaughtering over 250,000 pigs with similar intelligence levels, every day of the year.

Nah, bacon wins

You keep trying to tie this practice in to some form of tribal barbarism but cannot, outside of your suspicion of wastefulness, articulate why it's bad practice. We have hundreds of years of history telling us how these people live off of the land in what way it manifests itself in their cuisine. There is no mystery here. These people literally live off of whale meat.

Take this from the faroeislands website:

Here is an example of this:
FI-Heimablidni-1.jpg

aged whale meat, aged sheep leg (?), blubber and what seems to be fermented fish. You know when you go to a get together and you see a charcuterie board with aged meats and cheese? Well this is what the Faroese are offering.

The fact that they didn't have enough people to hunt probably coincides with the fact that it was a historically unprecedented amount of whales that washed ashore. Do you think they know exactly how many whales are going to present themselves every year? This isn't an exact science. They keep records of it every year so generally speaking they have a rough estimation but it isn't outside the realm of possibility that they didn't realize the vast quantities they were dealing with on this particular day.

Your primary argument = It's probably wasteful. No it probably isn't, these people literally consume the entirety of the animal and age the meat. The blubber is consumed as a snack and as a cooking oil at times. Fermented meat is also a big part of Faroese cuisine . It's not unsustainable, It's not some outdated tribalism either. It also is not unethical nor cruel. This is called hunting and a lot of urban folk unintelligibly take issue with it.

Also what you read was from the sea shepherd. These people are some of the biggest opponents of the grind and often present it the way you do. As some unintelligible outdated practice. Their primary arguments aren't even based on wastefullness like yours but rather that it doesn't need to happen in the first place. The cite the fact that it's a delicacy and not a necessity. So what? Are we to stop eating anything that is considered a delicacy because we don't have to anymore? They also talk about Mercury which in all faireness is the greatest argument they have. It is worrisome that it's as toxic as it is but is it really a good enough argument to get them to stop the practice?

Here's a video featuring the Faroese and the sea shepherds concerning the grind.

In short there really isn't much of an argument besides the mercury levels. Outside of that any appeal to tribalism or cruelty or unsustainability isn't based on anything other than some irrational perception of people hunting cute dolphins/whales.

I'm not trying to bring it back to anything but what I've already said my issue is about.
There's a million ways that conversations on this topic can go, which is why I kept what my point was very narrow. We could go for pages about culture, ethics, hunting practices, history, etc. etc. For me, when it comes to this particular day, the waste is my issue.

The history and tradition is a largely irrelevant argument, imo. And it largely holds no bearings on what is happening in 2021.

They thought there was 200 dolphins, and there turned out to be 1,500. That's a pretty spectacular fuck up. I'm not expecting them to be clairvoyant, I would expect them to at the very least do what they do with more care and humanity. Apparently, the hunt wasn't even given the okay by their leader. I don't know anything about hunting whales and dolphins, but there's a pretty big gap between 200 and 1,500...and considering that some of the actual locals have criticized this incident as well, it would seem that they fucked up in a massive way. My guess would be that had they had the correct amount of people, this wouldn't of played out the way that it did.

Again, I said I am talking about the incident of that DAY. My argument on the waste is that if they did not have enough people to hunt and kill 1,500 dolphins, how would they have enough people to process all of it before it went bad?
An article that @tibba posted further up thread said that a lot of the meat would likely be wasted as well.

I am aware that the site that I linked is biased, which is why I only posted the information that they said was from the official Forae island website.
The food being pretty toxic with mercury is a big concern and reason to question how often they actually eat it in 2021..which goes back to my question on how much of it is wasted.

Other than that though, the Faroe Islands are beautiful.
I assume it's hard to emigrate there? I'd kill a dolphin with my bare hands if needed.

I'd never really heard of this place until this...

One of the articles that popped up when I searched it was that there's a shortage of women

You know what to do...

I'm not trying to bring it back to anything but what I've already said my issue is about.
There's a million ways that conversations on this topic can go, which is why I kept what my point was very narrow. We could go for pages about culture, ethics, hunting practices, history, etc. etc. For me, when it comes to this particular day, the waste is my issue.

The history and tradition is a largely irrelevant argument, imo. And it largely holds no bearings on what is happening in 2021.

They thought there was 200 dolphins, and there turned out to be 1,500. That's a pretty spectacular fuck up. I'm not expecting them to be clairvoyant, I would expect them to at the very least do what they do with more care and humanity. Apparently, the hunt wasn't even given the okay by their leader. I don't know anything about hunting whales and dolphins, but there's a pretty big gap between 200 and 1,500...and considering that some of the actual locals have criticized this incident as well, it would seem that they fucked up in a massive way. My guess would be that had they had the correct amount of people, this wouldn't of played out the way that it did.

Again, I said I am talking about the incident of that DAY. My argument on the waste is that if they did not have enough people to hunt and kill 1,500 dolphins, how would they have enough people to process all of it before it went bad?
An article that @tibba posted further up thread said that a lot of the meat would likely be wasted as well.

I am aware that the site that I linked is biased, which is why I only posted the information that they said was from the official Forae island website.
The food being pretty toxic with mercury is a big concern and reason to question how often they actually eat it in 2021..which goes back to my question on how much of it is wasted.

I have no issues with hunting... especially managed hunting.

But this incident reaks of the mass hunting us humans do like with buffalo or passenger pigeons. It just doesn't feel right.

And isn't there better food in the ocean to eat than dolphins?

And China has the world beat at exploiting the sea and wasting animals... It's not even close. Seriously... Shark Fins and Ivory?

Why — because they are cute? Sounds like this particular hunt was botched, but they aren't an endangered species. If you mean because they are intelligent, you should probably be spending that energy decrying the US slaughtering over 250,000 pigs with similar intelligence levels, every day of the year.
Really?

Like I said before they do take previous years into account and it goes by what they yield each time. They have no way of knowing, with precision, how many are going to be there.

If you want to isolate your argument to this one moment in time where they massively undershot the amount of man power required due to chance then that's fine but we can do without the "It's tribal.......it isn't 1840.......it's 2021...damned be the culture." Like none of this means anything and you just withdraw your argument to this isolated incident when called out on it.

It's not unsustainable. Period.
It's not cruel. Period.
It's not wasteful. Period.

You merely assume that they wasted everything. Your entire argument rests on that assumption which historically has never been the case. Either come to the realization that this was an outlier (it was quite literally a historic record) or continue going in circles about the perceived wastefulness.

Like I said before they do take previous years into account and it goes by what they yield each time. They have no way of knowing, with precision, how many are going to be there.

If you want to isolate your argument to this one moment in time where they massively undershot the amount of man power required due to chance then that's fine but we can do without the "It's tribal.......it isn't 1840.......it's 2021...damned be the culture." Like none of this means anything and you just withdraw your argument to this isolated incident when called out on it.

It's not unsustainable. Period.
It's not cruel. Period.
It's not wasteful. Period.

You merely assume that they wasted everything. Your entire argument rests on that assumption which historically has never been the case. Either come to the realization that this was an outlier (it was quite literally a historic record) or continue going in circles about the perceived wastefulness.

You keep ignoring, or not understanding what my argument is on waste, even though I have repeated it a number of times now.

It is cruel. I don't know how you think you get to unilaterally decide it isn't. But I watched the video, and there was nothing quick or humane about a lot of the deaths.

It would be unsustainable if that's what happened on a normal basis.

Again, I've said that my focus was on this day, not the entire history of this practice. We're going in circles because you keep trying to bring in the entire history of the culture and island.
Can you come to the realization that we are talking about this DAY, which is obviously an outlier, and that that is what I am criticizing?

I don't like the entire event/culture, but the outrage on this isn't just that they are killing dolphins and whales, it's how many they killed because of how careless they were.

Do you eat dolphin.

If you mean because they are intelligent, you should probably be spending that energy decrying the US slaughtering over 250,000 pigs with similar intelligence levels, every day of the year.

No pig ever saved a person from a shark attack though. I once got bit by a pig. He was trying to steal my apple. Pigs are not your friend.

pigs-pig-life.gif

That shit ain't right. You're heartless bastard if you think this is cool....

Bred specifically to be slaughtered, made into food and eaten.

Back