2021 motor racing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw that Bobby Unser passed away. Rip. Legendary racing family. Don’t know how many Indy 500 wins between them all.

Such a big racing family dynasty and I don't think any of them are racing anymore. I think Al the third was the last one.

Mazepin spins out less than 4 minutes into the first Formula One practice session at Barcelona.

Red Bulls aren't running much in the first practice.

Last edited:
The Red Bulls weren't very fast in the second practice on longer runs. Verstappen was on a good fast run on fresh tire but he exceeded track limits and didn't get another fast run. Later he went off track through the grass and had some front wing damage.

Very curious Q2 as Hamilton went out for a second run on what appeared to be a set of used soft tires and improved his time so he will have to start on that set of used tires. The information is that they were a set of scuffed tires with one lap. He didn't need to improve his time to advance as he was third fastest.

Perez spun on the first run of Q3 slowing the times of Hamilton, Verstappen and Bottas.

No improvement in the second run in Q3 so Hamilton has his 100th pole followed by Verstappen, Bottas and Leclerc.

Very curious Q2 as Hamilton went out for a second run on what appeared to be a set of used soft tires and improved his time so he will have to start on that set of used tires. The information is that they were a set of scuffed tires with one lap. He didn't need to improve his time to advance as he was third fastest.

Perez spun on the first run of Q3 slowing the times of Hamilton, Verstappen and Bottas.
So I think merc have something with this scrub set they used. When I saw him go out, I expected him to slow his lap. But he didn’t. That set has three laps as opposed to two for the others. The idea is the one warm up lap and cool down on that set will make it more hardy during the race. Let’s see

So I think merc have something with this scrub set they used. When I saw him go out, I expected him to slow his lap. But he didn’t. That set has three laps as opposed to two for the others. The idea is the one warm up lap and cool down on that set will make it more hardy during the race. Let’s see

I don't know why they didn't run on the medium tires. I assume they will start on the soft tires and change to hard tires if they plan a one stop race. Mercedes seemed to be fast on the mediums in practice.

I don't know why they didn't run on the medium tires. I assume they will start on the soft tires and change to hard tires if they plan a one stop race. Mercedes seemed to be fast on the mediums in practice.
Yeah. Bottas was fastest in Q1 on meds and everyone ran softs. I think it will be the soft/hard race unless they have to go to plan B.

Yeah. Bottas was fastest in Q1 on meds and everyone ran softs. I think it will be the soft/hard race unless they have to go to plan B.

I thought they showed that some teams used both sets of hard tires in practice and didn't have any left. The Formula One tire data during qualifying can't always be trusted. Teams have to hand in two sets of tires after each practice and it seems like Formula One would have a correct record of which sets they turned in.

Max passes Lewis on the inside on turn 1. Lewis was forced wide and had to lift. That slowed Bottas down and allowed Leclerc to pass.

Lewis was catching Max and was within drs on lap 22-23 as Max pits. Redbull wasn't ready and Max had a 4.x second pit stop.

If Lewis had gone in the next lap there was a projected 1 second advantage to him but merc decided to stay out 5 more laps.

Haas/Mazepin held Lewis up under blue flags.

Lewis is currently catching Max at a rapid pace. He made up 3 seconds in a couple laps and is within 1 second.

Mercedes pulling the 2 stop out of the hat. We'll see if that was wise.

Mercedes pulling the 2 stop out of the hat. We'll see if that was wise.

It seemed like Lewis was really starting to pressure max and Max was complaining about grip.

Idk if it was the right call but Lewis is catching him by 1-2 seconds a lap.

Well see. If he catches him with decent tire life I'd have to think Max is a sitting duck.

Looks like Ham will catch Max and probably overtakes him (atlest will have couple corners to try).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back