2021 motor racing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Marc Priestly this afternoon. He was a Formula One mechanic for McLaren when Lewis drove for them. He is currently involved in media related to Formula One and does a YouTube Q&A the day after a race. He said he doubts that Aston Martin will get anywhere with their appeal because the rule requires a port where the container can be connected so the fuel pump pumps the required one liter of fuel out of the tank. The Aston Martin team were given several opportunities to attempt to remove the required liter of fuel but could only recover .3 liters. Aston Martin gave the FIA the car because, according to their fuel calculations, there should have been 1.44 liters left in the tank. The rule doesn't say that there has to be a certain amount of fuel left, it says that the team has to be able to remove 1 liter for testing at any time.

Some have said since they don't refuel the cars during the race they should just test the fuel prior to the race. That wouldn't work because it is possible to put a system inside the tank to release additives into the fuel so they would only show up at the end of the race. Rather than try to inspect the tanks for such things, it is easier to just test the fuel at the end of a race.

the summer break sucks :(

Really wish there was a race this weekend.

Weird seb not getting hell for social justice like Lewis did though. We even had people saying they aren’t gonna watch f1 until Lewis was retired because of it.
Hammy went a bit off the rails with some of his antics. Wearing a T shirt on the podium that read "Arrest the officers who shot Briana Taylor" was not only inappropriate but misinformed, as
a grand jury and local district attorney determined. Only one officer was found at fault for firing into an adjacent apartment mistakenly. At the very least, high profile athletes should have their facts straight before grandstanding. To react on pure emotion and self righteous pandering actually negates their message and stance, making it irrelevant and forgettable.

I'm of the mind that high profile athletes have every right to speak out against what they deem injustice, but should do it on their own time. Not at the racetrack, not on the podium.
I don't remember any hollywood stars arriving on set for filming wearing clothing with slogans or receiving awards wearing anything other than formal wear.
It's about context IMO.

Last edited:
Will be watching Indycar at the new Nashville street circuit and MotoGP at the Red Bull Ring this weekend.

Also might keen an eye on the highlights from IMSA at Road America, NASCAR at Watkins Glen, DTM at Zolder and British GT at Snetterton.

Hammy went a bit off the rails with some of his antics. Wearing a T shirt on the podium that read "Arrest the officers who shot Briana Taylor" was not only inappropriate but misinformed, as
a grand jury and local district attorney determined. Only one officer was found at fault for firing into an adjacent apartment mistakenly. At the very least, high profile athletes should have their facts straight before grandstanding. To react on pure emotion and self righteous pandering actually negates their message and stance, making it irrelevant and forgettable.

I'm of the mind that high profile athletes have every right to speak out against what they deem injustice, but should do it on their own time. Not at the racetrack, not on the podium.
I don't remember any hollywood stars arriving on set for filming wearing clothing with slogans or receiving awards wearing anything other than formal wear.
It's about context IMO.

What other time would anybody even see or hear them? How much television time do race car drivers get other than at the track?

In Europe and in many other countries, I think they get much more exposure than in the US.
Regardless, they have to follow FIA regs and should be respectful of them.

In Europe and in many other countries, I think they get much more exposure than in the US.
Regardless, they have to follow FIA regs and should be respectful of them.
It’s a tough call imo. Some will say, that athletes have a platform and should use it. So it’s really damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
Just my opinion. I see both sides of it, that’s why the sports organizations have the regulations. Do you think Ali would have been as big a name now had he didn’t stand up for his stance on the war? Maybe, maybe bigger? Not sure, but his ban for three years is a big part of his story.

Colton Herta on pole in Nashville.

Cracker of a Moto3 race (as usual), Moto2 was a good showing as well.

MotoGP race red flagged after a big crash on the third lap. Dani Pedrosa dropped it at turn 3 and then it appears as if his bike has been collected by Lorenzo Savadori resulting in a fireball and that spread across the track. Pedrosa walked away while Savadori was carried away on a stretcher but shown to be awake and talking.

Race to be restarted but is still red flagged as I type.

Bagnaia and Martin lead from the front row while Quartararo and Miller dropped back. Mir got a good jump with this being the first race for Suzuki introducing their hole shot device and Marc Marquez made ground with some aggressive moves through the first through corners.

It's all for naught as we'll restart from the original grid positions once the cleanup is complete.

MotoGP was a good run after the restart. First win for rookie Jorge Martin, even more impressive given that he's already missed 4 races this year due to injury. Also first win for the Pramac Ducati team, taking it to the factory squad with Zarco second in points while Miller and Bagnaia struggle for consistency. Also super cool to see Dani Pedrosa end up 10th on a spare bike after being part of the red flag crash. In his first race after announcing his retirement, Valentino Rossi had an uneventful, almost invisible showing. Here's hoping he can pull off one final podium before the year is out.

The Indycar race at Nashville was a total shitshow, though that didn't stop it from being somewhat entertaining (though the surprise winner was in no small part helped by American racing championships handling safety car / cautions in a way that is backwards to the rest of the world).

Aston Martin's request for review was dismissed by the stewards.

After the hearing the FIA revealed that Aston Martin had discovered that a faulty fuel pump meant a "significant amount of fuel was inadvertently discharged from the fuel cell of Car 5" meaning FIA personnel could only extract 0.3 litres.

After first claiming that there was fuel left in the tank that couldn't be extracted, seems that Aston Martin changed their claim to there being a leak that caused not enough being left in the tank. They must be trying to use the fuel flow meter data to show that the engine didn't use all of the fuel so it must have leaked out. The stewards aren't buying it.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...tels-hungarian-gp.4T6nL3WlcKdsTRakx0ciNg.html

Aston Martin's request for review was dismissed by the stewards.

After first claiming that there was fuel left in the tank that couldn't be extracted, seems that Aston Martin changed their claim to there being a leak that caused not enough being left in the tank. They must be trying to use the fuel flow meter data to show that the engine didn't use all of the fuel so it must have leaked out. The stewards aren't buying it.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...tels-hungarian-gp.4T6nL3WlcKdsTRakx0ciNg.html
The more I think about it, this was a good penalty. Feel bad for Seb. But everyone would run less fuel if they could get away with it.

Rules are rules.

Also notable is that it gives Sainz another podium and Ferrari 2 podiums in the last 2 races, which now puts has them on equal points with McLaren in the constructors championship. Going to a be a fierce fight between those two teams in the second half of the season.

has anybody seen viñales mad trying to explode the bike on pursose?

I did see that. Crazy stuff. Yamaha withdrew his entry for this weekends race due to "reckless behaviour and endangering the bike". They didn't say exactly what that was, but it seems that this video might be it.

Vinales is one of those racers that can be as fast as anyone else, but appears to have massive attitude problems.

I did see that. Crazy stuff. Yamaha withdrew his entry for this weekends race due to "reckless behaviour and endangering the bike". They didn't say exactly what that was, but it seems that this video might be it.

Vinales is one of those racers that can be as fast as anyone else, but appears to have massive attitude problems.

Sometimes great talent comes with a poor attitude.

Sometimes great talent comes with a poor attitude.

Absolutely. I believe it takes a certain type of personality (or personality traits) to reach the very pinnacle of...just about anything (sport, business, music, acting - you name it). When things aren't going their way it can result in some big tantrums.

MotoGP delivers excitement as expected.

Incredible scenes as the rain comes with 5 laps to go, with the race leading pack pitting for a change to wet weather bikes while a number of others gamble by staying out on slicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back