A classmate of mine was murdered on campus today

It blows my mind that people actually have to share a ROOM at University in America.

I would've quit Uni in year 1 if that was the case, fuck that shit.

We had 'dorms' which was basically an estate of around 100 shared houses, 6 to a building, everyone with their own private single room but shared kitchen and bathroom facilities. That's the norm in the UK

It blows my mind that people actually have to share a ROOM at University in America.

We had 'dorms' which was basically an estate of around 100 shared houses, 6 to a building, everyone with their own private single room but shared kitchen and bathroom facilities. That's the norm in the UK

sounds crazy but I think there are reasons behind the whole dorm room thing. It's to get these kids away from home little by little and wean them off of mommy and daddy. It's hard as hell living in those situations, especially when you're that young and dumb. But I'm sure these kids grow from that just by learning that not everyone is the same. And they don't require it for the entire four years, some require a year, some two. I think the idea of it is generally good because I went to college in my thirties and I also worked in a university and I can tell you that most of these 18-20 year olds have no clue about anything. They aren't ready for shit, not even college responsibility really. Most of them are just being daycared while they are there and not really doing anything but racking up debt.

It's not perfect but I think of the alternatives and also how unprepared for the bullshit I had to deal with when I was 18. I worked in a steelmill, surrounded by losers in a hot, dirty miserable environment. That was far from a good place to be. I coulda used college back then but I didn't go. I was just as stupid and unprepared as many of the kids I saw. In terms of this murder, well, this kid obviously had murderous tendencies and the pressure of dorm life brought it out, or at least that's what it looks like on the surface.

sounds crazy but I think there are reasons behind the whole dorm room thing. It's to get these kids away from home little by little and wean them off of mommy and daddy. It's hard as hell living in those situations, especially when you're that young and dumb. But I'm sure these kids grow from that just by learning that not everyone is the same. And they don't require it for the entire four years, some require a year, some two. I think the idea of it is generally good because I went to college in my thirties and I also worked in a university and I can tell you that most of these 18-20 year olds have no clue about anything. They aren't ready for shit, not even college responsibility really. Most of them are just being daycared while they are there and not really doing anything but racking up debt.

It's not perfect but I think of the alternatives and also how unprepared for the bullshit I had to deal with when I was 18. I worked in a steelmill, surrounded by losers in a hot, dirty miserable environment. That was far from a good place to be. I coulda used college back then but I didn't go. I was just as stupid and unprepared as many of the kids I saw. In terms of this murder, well, this kid obviously had murderous tendencies and the pressure of dorm life brought it out, or at least that's what it looks like on the surface.

18 year old British kids are just as clueless, though! The only thing we're well versed in, compared to Americans of the same age, is drinking culture - we start going to bars / pubs when we're 14/15 over here, and are drinking in parks by 13 most of the time but that's the only aspect of 'college life' we've got life experience of when we go!

18 year old British kids are just as clueless, though! The only thing we're well versed in, compared to Americans of the same age, is drinking culture - we start going to bars / pubs when we're 14/15 over here, and are drinking in parks by 13 most of the time but that's the only aspect of 'college life' we've got life experience of when we go!

I imagine so, of course, there are all kinds but mostly, I just thought of how immature they all seemed. I'd see a beautiful woman in an adult body and when we had to converse because we were working together it was obvious just how immature they were. They need a midpoint between home and being out in the wild world and that was the more important, unspoken function of college. Depends on the school too, the public and private universities I was at were pretty different in the students that attended them. The public university kids were not quite as naive as the university..

I also noticed that the boys had bigger issues than the girls with having roomates, probably because men are just usually less cooperative and more aggressive. Also, having folks of different races thrown together was part of the problem. I knew a mexican guy who complained about his white roomates while at the same time, a mexican friend of his who was a girl, just loved her dormmates.

Personally, I just thought of how awed I was by "adult" life at 18 and scared shitless, after being around these kids at 37-39 or so, I thought of how silly it was to feel that way. I would have been right there in the mix.

Last edited:
I imagine so, of course, there are all kinds but mostly, I just thought of how immature they all seemed. I'd see a beautiful woman in an adult body and when we had to converse because we were working together it was obvious just how immature they were. They need a midpoint between home and being out in the wild world and that was the more important, unspoken function of college. Depends on the school too, the public and private universities I was at were pretty different in the students that attended them. The public university kids were not quite as naive as the university..

I also noticed that the boys had bigger issues than the girls with having roomates, probably because men are just usually less cooperative and more aggressive. Also, having folks of different races thrown together was part of the problem. I knew a mexican guy who complained about his white roomates while at the same time, a mexican friend of his who was a girl, just loved her dormmates.

Personally, I just thought of how awed I was by "adult" life at 18 and scared shitless, after being around these kids at 37-39 or so, I thought of how silly it was to feel that way. I would have been right there in the mix.

It's wanking. 100% wanking.

It's wanking. 100% wanking.

I think so too but it has it's uses. When asked by a young woman about college, I told her it all depends on what she studies but that for many people it's a total waste. Of course, you don't want a heart surgeon who learned off of youtube working on you but those fields that require all that brain probably aren't in the minority of the degrees.

I guess if I had a kid I'd feel better about them being baby sat than being 18 and in the situations I was in. Most of them were not good and even today, I try working alone as much as possible because of the shitty, dirty jobs with low pay and ignorant co-workers who will never see the inside of a college. Being pooled with even dumber asses was not good for me.

This almost happened to me in college too.

I had 3 roommates my sophomore year, two rooms connected with a bathroom in the center. I went to my 7AM class, came back to the room and started playing some Halo on the college LAN on XBOX for about 15 minutes. Apparently all the button pressing angered the sleeping ginger gorilla. Dude jumped out of bed furious, saying I have been pounding the controller buttons "for hours". We had a little scuffle, but it ended without a stabbing.

You took astrophysics?
Yes. The school had an awesome planetarium and that’s where all the girls were at. Well that and nursing, but I wasn’t going that far.

Last edited:
yeah people were upset. the school president sent an email at like 7 this morning (which i never check when i first wake up) so its not like they didnt know before classes started. the teacher was really chill about it too. makes you wonder if they told them to try not to make a big deal out of it so as to not cause panic? we had a couple suicides last year too and they never cancelled classes either which got people mad.

Why is it logical to cancel classes for 40,000 people because a person with a sphere of influence a tiny fraction of that killed themselves? If YOU were deeply effected, YOU don't go to class. YOU work it out with your instructor.

This almost happened to me in college too.

I had 3 roommates my sophomore year, two rooms connected with a bathroom in the center. I went to my 7AM class, came back to the room and started playing some Halo on the college LAN on XBOX for about 15 minutes. Apparently all the button pressing angered the sleeping ginger gorilla. Dude jumped out of bed furious, saying I have been pounding the controller buttons "for hours". We had a little scuffle, but it ended without a stabbing.

A bad roommate choice can have far reaching consequences even if there is no stabbing. Obviously your ginger roomie overreacted to your being a douche.

Yes. The school had an awesome planetarium and that’s where all the girls were at. Well that and nursing, but I wasn’t going that far.

Cool. You mean astronomy though?

Cool. You mean astronomy though?
Aren’t these like more or less the same these days? I understand technically how they are different, but don’t a lot of schools just have one degree?

Aren’t these like more or less the same these days? I understand technically how they are different, but don’t a lot of schools just have one degree?

No...not really that close.

Why is it logical to cancel classes for 40,000 people because a person with a sphere of influence a tiny fraction of that killed themselves? If YOU were deeply effected, YOU don't go to class. YOU work it out with your instructor.
well in this day and age, especially with young college aged kids, these big institutions really emphasize how they care about their mental health and emotions and all that. seems like a lot of people think thats not the case. idk, i pay money to be taught not to have someone ask about my feelings. however i can see why others were upset. someone got murdered on campus a couple hours before class start and the schools response was basically meh. i dont think it would have been outlandish for them to cancel class yesterday. youre keyboard seems to be stuck on caps lock when you type "you."

the thing is my university has over 51,000 students. they pack those kids in like sardines. Im an older guy so i live off campus, thank the lord.

Back