A classmate of mine was murdered on campus today

You cram kids into 10x10 rooms as strangers and think issues will not occur. Add in another language or culture and shit can go down.

What do we ban here? Teachers?

well in this day and age, especially with young college aged kids, these big institutions really emphasize how they care about their mental health and emotions and all that. seems like a lot of people think thats not the case. idk, i pay money to be taught not to have someone ask about my feelings. however i can see why others were upset. someone got murdered on campus a couple hours before class start and the schools response was basically meh. i dont think it would have been outlandish for them to cancel class yesterday. youre keyboard seems to be stuck on caps lock when you type "you."

I can see why others would be upset too......if this really effected them and they were forced to go to class......which they were not. In the vast majority of colleges, attendance is pretty much optional even under ordinary circumstances.

What I don't see is the efficacy of altering the schedule and halting the education of the large majority of students that would not be effected by this to the extent they would need to alter their day.

I think Perdue did it exactly right. Acknowledge it.....move on with life.....offer support to those that need it without molly coddling the majority that don't.

Damn RIP. I know the dorm life can get super crazy, but I guess he legit had that Korean temper.

That sucks. That's shit luck, being stuck with the one lunatic who will murder you over.... whatever.

So, TS, how old were you when you joined Sherdog? 10? 12?

Have I been bickering with 12 year olds this whole time?

<23>
<5>

No...not really that close.
Some of the schools I looked at around here have like a department of astronomy but only offer an undergrad degree in astrophysics. Some have like BS in astronomy and astrophysics or BS in physics and astronomy or something like that. On UC Berkeleys page, they seem to use the terms interchangeably. They talk about undergrad studies in astronomy but only offer one degree in astrophysics. Some students reference the department of astronomy as the department of astrophysics. I know in essence how they could be different, but I’m not seeing universities that are offering separate degrees in both astronomy and astrophysics. Do they have separate degree programs where you teach?

That shit is crazy....R.I.P sir.

It blows my mind that people actually have to share a ROOM at University in America.

I would've quit Uni in year 1 if that was the case, fuck that shit.

We had 'dorms' which was basically an estate of around 100 shared houses, 6 to a building, everyone with their own private single room but shared kitchen and bathroom facilities. That's the norm in the UK

American young adults are so infantilized. Can't even buy booze until 21 and sharing rooms like children.

It's a really bizaare culture.

You took astrophysics?
Me too. In fact my degree was in astronomy. Hardly remember anything about it and didn't do any observational astronomy. Just worked on data that other people captured.

the thing is my university has over 51,000 students. they pack those kids in like sardines. Im an older guy so i live off campus, thank the lord.
fuck ya they do, it's money. Youth has it's advantages and your nerves being able to handle that kind of bullshit is one of them. I couldn't deal with the lunacy I dealt with from roomates at that age today.

Some of the schools I looked at around here have like a department of astronomy but only offer an undergrad degree in astrophysics. Some have like BS in astronomy and astrophysics or BS in physics and astronomy or something like that. On UC Berkeleys page, they seem to use the terms interchangeably. They talk about undergrad studies in astronomy but only offer one degree in astrophysics. Some students reference the department of astronomy as the department of astrophysics. I know in essence how they could be different, but I’m not seeing universities that are offering separate degrees in both astronomy and astrophysics. Do they have separate degree programs where you teach?

I know of only graduate programs in each. Astrophysics is the basis of astronomy, but most astronomers are observational scientists or data analysists in a sense. Astronomers do a little astrophysics in their research as in stellar physics amd evolution, galactic evolution, etc... But, theoretical astrophysics is a broad field that is very mathematical... like general relativity, string theory, and quantum loops, for instance. Most astronomers do not do that at all.

Me too. In fact my degree was in astronomy. Hardly remember anything about it and didn't do any observational astronomy. Just worked on data that other people captured.

Nice, but that was your degree. Fairly sure the other poster was talking about an elective which is normally astronomy. Astrophysics is a whole other beast which would not do very well as an elective.

So young. So brave.

"Well, on a more positive note, lets start class"!

I had no clue Elons robots began teaching classes.

Yeah, when I was in college a guy was beaten to death with a bat in the dorms.
I believe it was also his roommate in that case.

It blows my mind that people actually have to share a ROOM at University in America.

I would've quit Uni in year 1 if that was the case, fuck that shit.

We had 'dorms' which was basically an estate of around 100 shared houses, 6 to a building, everyone with their own private single room but shared kitchen and bathroom facilities. That's the norm in the UK
Having a roommate is part of the college experience though.

My college math professor held class during 9/11, and I live in NY (not the city at the time, but a couple of hours out - meaning the likelihood of someone having family or friends nearby the incident wasn't exactly mathematically unlikely). Some professors are just too up their own asses.

As for the story at hand, crazy shit. Reminds me of the Canadian bus story. You never know what kind of psycho you're standing next to, ever.

Back