Opinion A mental health crisis?

Should be easy to refute then. I’ll wait.

Are you saying people who graduate med school are not doctors? Interesting.
"Professional organisations, such as the American Psychiatric Association echoed drug company rhetoric, suggesting in a patient leaflet produced in 2005 that ‘antidepressants may be prescribed to correct imbalances in the levels of chemicals in the brain’ (American Psychiatric Association, 2005). Consequently, a large proportion of the population came to believe that depression is caused by a ‘chemical imbalance’, with surveys conducted in the 2000s finding that 88% of respondents in Australia and 85% in the US endorsed this idea (France et al., 2007; Pilkington et al., 2013"

Any individual crackpot can say anything. I’m telling you I’ve never been taught or heard (outside laymen conversation) that depression is caused by a lack of serotonin. I’ve never met a single psychiatrist who holds this belief. This seems like a hypothesis from the 50s or 60s that the pharmaceutical industry latched onto to promote their drugs to the general public.

<Neil01>
"Professional organisations, such as the American Psychiatric Association echoed drug company rhetoric, suggesting in a patient leaflet produced in 2005 that ‘antidepressants may be prescribed to correct imbalances in the levels of chemicals in the brain’ (American Psychiatric Association, 2005). Consequently, a large proportion of the population came to believe that depression is caused by a ‘chemical imbalance’, with surveys conducted in the 2000s finding that 88% of respondents in Australia and 85% in the US endorsed this idea (France et al., 2007; Pilkington et al., 2013" now what?

Some people are just more mentally resilient than others. You can justify your actions by saying "if I kill a few hundred people now in order to save thousands of innocent lives such as my men and people back home, I am doing a good thing" and you can be at peace with wht you're doing. Doing so mentally prepares you better for the death and destruction you are partaking in.

Some of the most cold blooded and calculating Generals and Secretary of Defense used this utilitarian justification in their decision making. Robert S. MCnamara was a killing machine. He later regretted the decisions he made and the entire philosophy he adopted to make crucial decisions during the Cold War and Vietnam War. General Curtis "Bombs Away" Lemay tried to push JFK into a issuing a first strike order in Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis. He gave all sorts of numbers success vs. risk %, number of domestic lives saved vs. Cubans killed, ability to weaken Cuban defenses and allow an invasion to stop the Nuclear warhead silos from becoming operational; all of which sounded convincing. JFK resisted the pressure on the notion that killing so many Cuban people would constitute an immoral act, and that military action was not the avenue to pursue until all diplomatic attempts have failed. We now know that had he succumbed to Lemay's pressures, Krushchev had Russian submarines roaming American coastlines waiting to launch nukes in case of an American first strike on Cuba.

I don't trust any peson whose sole consideration for decision-making is a net cost-benefit ratio. That approach is imbued in eerily robotic and perfectly logical reasoning absent of any humanism. Elon Musk is this kind of person, for example. But so is the officer giving an order to kill thousands of people in a drone strike because it saves the lives of a few of his men and costs the American government less money thanks to its expediency. Humans are simply capable of rationalizing their violence as a necessary evil to achieve something good.

I actually listened to a podcast about LeMay recently. It seems he was the most cold blooded American in the history of Americans. But he was who the people wanted. I could easily think of a situation where some large majority supported a nuclear holocaust compared to an alternative where they lose out on water resources or some other precious thing. LeMay had his constituency.

I agree with you, which is why I think it’s essential for human survival to have European style social democratic principles as the fundamental underpinnings of a society. We regress too easily to murder and putrescence without active efforts to help our fellow man

Looks weak as fuck, as I expected. The evidence from this article,

all six of the textbooks provided some degree of support or endorsement for the hypothesis. The leading US textbook of psychiatry stated unequivocally that ‘the importance of NE [noradrenalin or norepinephrine] and 5-HT [serotonin] neurotransmission in the pathophysiology and treatment of mood disorders remains unquestioned.’ (Sadock et al., 2009) (P. 1670).
This is not an endorsement of a “chemical imbalance.” It’s simply stating a fact. By whatever biological mechanisms, antidepressants are effective in many patients with severe depression.

Looks weak as fuck, as I expected. The evidence from this article,

This is not an endorsement of a “chemical imbalance.” It’s simply stating a fact. By whatever biological mechanisms, antidepressants are effective in many patients with severe depression.
No no. Address the part I quoted pal. It was the entirety of your joke field. And it's well documented.

Any individual crackpot can say anything. I’m telling you I’ve never been taught or heard (outside laymen conversation) that depression is caused by a lack of serotonin. I’ve never met a single psychiatrist who holds this belief. This seems like a hypothesis from the 50s or 60s that the pharmaceutical industry latched onto to promote their drugs to the general public.

<Neil01>
Do you consider the president of the American Psychiatric Association to be a crackpot?

“In the last decade, neuroscience and psychiatric research has begun to unlock the brain’s secrets. We now know that mental illnesses – such as depression or schizophrenia – are not “moral weaknesses” or “imagined” but real diseases caused by abnormalities of brain structure and imbalances of chemicals in the brain.” Unlocking the Brain’s Secrets, by Richard Harding, MD.

“More serious depression, or depression that is quickly getting worse, should be treated with medication. Antidepressants are not “uppers” and they have no effect on normal mood. They restore brain chemistry to normal.” About Depression in Women, by Nada L. Stotland, MD.

List of presidents of the American Psychiatric Association

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidents_of_the_American_Psychiatric_Association

Last edited:
No no. Address the part I quoted pal. It was the entirety of your joke field. And it's well documented.
After spending 20 minutes sifting through anti psychiatry websites, I finally found this brochure you reference.

Abnormalities in two chemicals in the brain, serotonin and norepinephrine, might contribute to symptoms of depression, including anxiety, irritability and fatigue. Other brain networks undoubtedly are involved as well; scientists are actively seeking new knowledge in this area.

Sounds pretty noncommittal.

Interestingly, the brochure also says

One in a series of brochures designed to reduce stigma associated with mental illnesses by promoting informed factual discussion of the disorders and their psychiatric treatments. This brochure was developed for educational purposes and does not necessarily reflect opinion or policy of the American Psychiatric Association.

Who designed this brochure then?

I personally created educational brochures for patients that were distributed all across the state around 2018. It had info on there for the teaching hospital I was working at as well as NAMI, even though they were not involved in designing the brochure. Probably a similar situation.

I’m not going to waste any more time debunking dumb anti psychiatry crap, so don’t wasting your time posting more links to this shit.

After spending 20 minutes sifting through anti psychiatry websites, I finally found this brochure you reference.

Sounds pretty noncommittal.

Interestingly, the brochure also says

Who designed this brochure then?

I personally created educational brochures for patients that were distributed all across the state around 2018. It had info on there for the teaching hospital I was working at as well as NAMI, even though they were not involved in designing the brochure. Probably a similar situation.

I’m not going to waste any more time debunking dumb anti psychiatry crap, so don’t wasting your time posting more links to this shit.
We have posted direct quotes from your leading organization and you continue to ignore them and nit pick other bull shit. Keep pretending your field never lied about brain chemical imbalances. There are direct quotes every where for anyone who has a brain.

We have posted direct quotes from your leading organization and you continue to ignore them and nit pick other bull shit. Keep pretending your field never lied about brain chemical imbalances. There are direct quotes every where for anyone who has a brain.
So what is it then? Are mental health disorders caused by chaos dragons and lonely lobsters?

As I said, there may have been people who believed this 60-70 years ago. Pharmaceutical companies may have promoted this belief to the general public. There may be some old doctors who made incorrect or overly simplified statements about neurotransmitters in public comments. But I’ve never heard this, read this in any textbook, met anyone who holds this belief, and doubt if there ever was any unified opinion in the US psychiatry community that supported or promoted this belief.

So what is it then? Are mental health disorders caused by chaos dragons and lonely lobsters?
Obviously, he thinks if some 75yo+ doctor who has spent much of his career in administrative roles said something about serotonin in a magazine interview 25 years ago, somehow that discredits the field. I dunno.

I think that the WHO and WEF played an important part in the Corona lockdowns.

The Corona lockdowns was bad for mental health of the population.

So, it is weird that they pretend to care about mental health.

It's not, though, is it?

If an ungodly outbreak occurs where people are being smashed to smithereens by an ultra mega bubonic plague, you think the medical authorities should sit on their hands because of mental health?

Allow me to answer that for you: no.

No you don't.

At least you don't if you thought it through.

Lockdown seems to have been an overzealous reaction to Covid19, which never quite seemed to be as bad as first feared. But unfortunately, when you have to choose between poor outcomes, containing a vicious illness is still going to come first.

“Mental health” seems to be a catch-all excuse for people who want to maintain easy access to guns. Calling people mentally ill helps to retain the status quo and allow the killing the continue.

Then again, if you want to go do a mass shooting, aren’t you by definition “mentally ill” in some way? It’s sort of a poorly defined term that seems to encompass everything from mild depression to homicidal rage

- Yes. It's unnatural to exterminate beings of the same species. That's why animals stop, when they submit other of the same species in a combat for example. They also avoid inflicting permanent dammage.

Incidental. A large number of people take antidepressants. 25% of elderly ladies are on antidepressants. It’s not a significant risk factor for violence. You don’t shoot up a school because you have anxiety. There are other risk factors much worthier of attention.

- Could you write more about this? I find a fascinant subject.

I dunno man, human nature can cause people to turn pretty dark and evil without additional influence. Think of genocide and the people perpetrating it. Not everyone who partakes in it is mentally ill.

- People will do depicable things to another person, just because that other person has a shirt of another team. Or is on the other political spectrum. t's kind scary how evil humans can became.

its what pisses me off.

these people are obviously mentally upset, disturbed. but its not the absolute final reason for it all.

- I think in the end some just want a excuse to be violent. Of course this isn't a natural behavior.

Back