Social A new study bolsters evidence that severe obesity is increasing in young kids in the US

When me and my ex broke up my daughter got noticeably fatter. Even my dad was asking me what's going on. She was around 7 at the time. Thankfully once her Grandmother died (her mom and grandmother lived together) she wanted to come live with me and her weight came back down.
I’m waiting on her grandfather and aunt to kick the bucket so she stops getting under the table cash…

Worst part about being a part time parent is you basically can't control the damage other people are doing to your child. You just feel helpless.

Man I'm scared about having to send my kids to daycare or school for the first time in my life. I'd be devastated if I'd only have them part time myself.

I'm going to repeat what I said on the first page of this thread.

The study within the OP specifically stated these increases are being seen in pre-school ages kids.

There is something more afoot than just McDonald's and less exercise.

Are there any environmental factors for these numbers? Any autoimmune issue going on?

For some reason, something is going on within the physiology of 2-5 year olds where their body is telling them to hold onto and store energy.

Junkfood (sugar in everything) pollutants (air quality, hormones in milk and water, pesticides and microplastics everywhere) sedentary parents and epigenetics.

Why are they wasting money on 'studies' for this? Anyone with eyes can see it for themselves every single day in the west.

Worst part about being a part time parent is you basically can't control the damage other people are doing to your child. You just feel helpless.
And I got massively screwed with support payments too… so now I’m busting my ass at work so she can do fuck all and hide money from the court. While feeding my son complete junk and getting him fat…

And I got massively screwed with support payments too… so now I’m busting my ass at work so she can do fuck all and hide money from the court. While feeding my son complete junk and getting him fat…

Yep been there. Even when I tell my current wife how much child support is she's in shock at how much money I would have to pay her if we separated. My ex happily took my money of course.

Just to get child support payments to stop after my daughter moved in with me I had to bribe my ex with $1000 for her to sign the paper saying she would go to court. She no showed like I expected her to and I told her it was ok to do that and finally got the payments stopped. Showing the court that my daughter lived with me, school papers, all kinds of proof wasn't enough. Her mother kept no showing and the payments kept coming out. Thankfully they were being held by the OAG until the matter was resolved. When I found out there was 12k sitting in their account I called my ex and said give me your address and sign these papers. if we get these payments stopped I'll give you 1k cash. Finally she did it. OAG sent me the 12k in the mail and it was finally over.

Man I'm scared about having to send my kids to daycare or school for the first time in my life. I'd be devastated if I'd only have them part time myself.

Can't even describe how horrible it is. It happened at a time when me and my daughter were getting so close as well. Her school was asking me to join the PTA and help run their fitness program for kids. They always saw me at the school participating in her activities and helping where I could. I worked overnight so I would just get no sleep on days they were doing things with the kids.

Boxing 6 times a week and doing 3 slow paced cardio sessions on top of that I can eat like a pig and not gain any weight. Actually hard to gain weight and I’m in my thirties with a desk job. I’m also not an ectomorph BTW. If I don’t do that much cardio I can gain muscle quite well.
That’s great that it works for you. Everybody’s body is different so it can take a little work to figure out what you need for yourself.

That being said, what you are describing is not normal. I’ve got plenty of fat guys in my boxing program that I see daily. The only ones who ever lose any significant amount of weight are the ones who focus on their diet and nutrition.

That’s great that it works for you. Everybody’s body is different so it can take a little work to figure out what you need for yourself.

That being said, what you are describing is not normal. I’ve got plenty of fat guys in my boxing program that I see daily. The only ones who ever lose any significant amount of weight are the ones who focus on their diet and nutrition.

Depends a lot on your location as well. A shit diet in the Netherlands would probably be an above average diet in the US, while a shit diet in the US would contain like 20 different ingredients that are straight up illegal in most of the first world. It can't be overstated how abhorrent American fast food is.

The most processed crap foods are also the least expensive. McDonalds anyone? Yes, people need to make better decisions. More inexpensive options might help that.
Nah bro chicken, beans and rice in bulk is the cheapest and best. My kids are shredded and still enjoy some ice cream and chips for snacks.

The most processed crap foods are also the least expensive. McDonalds anyone? Yes, people need to make better decisions. More inexpensive options might help that.

This isn't really true at all. There's seems to be this myth that eating junk food is cheaper and it's just not true. Especially these days were the dollar menu is basically the $2 dollar menu now.

Depends a lot on your location as well. A shit diet in the Netherlands would probably be an above average diet in the US, while a shit diet in the US would contain like 20 different ingredients that are straight up illegal in most of the first world. It can't be overstated how abhorrent American fast food is.
Not just fast food, all our packaged food and ready to heat meals are awful. Unfortunately there has been some rollbacks on regulations in the recent past and it’s only getting worse

It really is cruelty though isn't it? I'm going to sound like a cantankerous old woman but video games etc don't help. There's a guy here laying on skateboard events for kids because we're a small town with very little for them to do and they're really popular which is great. I know it isn't football running around for 90 minutes but it's still an activity when they're not sat on their asses being fed Maccy Ds. I've been on the large scale before, but I was always fed a balanced healthy diet by my parents.

- It's is because its dentrimental to several futures choices that the kid will make. A kid doesnt needs to be good at sports, but to pratice them to develop the motor skills, that will help him down the line, if he choose a path that exiges a more physical work.

A kid can do dance, ballet, basket(as long he knows Shaq was the best), martial-arts, anu thing to keep him moving. A sedentary kid, whatnever he is skinny or fat, will have a hard time passing a fire-fighter test for example. Amy one can get shrededd and muscular, they seel that in boittles. But athletic ability is diferent.

Do you have kids?

As a parent it's sad to see the way some other parents treat their young kids. My daughter had a little buddy over a while ago and all he wanted to do was watch tv. Meanwhile she was trying to play with all kinds of toys and be social.

Their parents are just raising a complete pussy and the kid can't do anything about it. He's a boy but when a girl who is 1 years younger takes his toy he cries and runs off to mommy. When they bump heads on the trampoline he cries while she laughs it off. A bit off topic but I'll finish it off by mentioning that they give him all kinds of sweet food too.

- I described my children-hood friend brother like this. The kid was rised over-protected, cound't play with another kids. I think one decade ago, he asked me if doing pull-ups was hard or just technich, wanted to do a fire-fighter test, but even as a young adult, was over-protected, basically they ruined the kids chances of following several careers. Today he is close of his 40's.

As i said before, it could be me, if wasnt for my dad, grand-dad and uncles, my mom would have rised me like this.

Thank God for the Power-Rangers tv show and Mortal Kombat Conquest, and my dad putting me on Taekwondo.

- I described my children-hood friend brother like this. The kid was rised over-protected, cound't play with another kids. I think one decade ago, he asked me if doing pull-ups was hard or just technich, wanted to do a fire-fighter test, but even as a young adult, was over-protected, basically they ruined the kids chances of following several careers. Today he is close of his 40's.

As i said before, it could be me, if wasnt for my dad, grand-dad and uncles, my mom would have rised me like this.

Thank God for the Power-Rangers tv show and Mortal Kombat Conquest, and my dad putting me on Taekwondo.

Yeah it can definitely fuck up a child's life. When they get overprotected they don't learn to take care of themselves. Last week we were at some Christmas thing here (novenas) and that's when I noticed it so obvious. My daughter was in a small area with that overprotected boy and another girl her age. The boy was just standing next to his mother all the time and whenever somebody bumps into him too roughly or grabs one of his toys he looked over to his mother for help. Meanwhile the two girls both one year younger were roughly playing and having fun all over the place.

I think when it comes to food overprotecting can fuck up a kid as well. If parents go hardline "no sugar" on kids they'll probably end up eating way too much sugar later in life.

Yeah it can definitely fuck up a child's life. When they get overprotected they don't learn to take care of themselves. Last week we were at some Christmas thing here (novenas) and that's when I noticed it so obvious. My daughter was in a small area with that overprotected boy and another girl her age. The boy was just standing next to his mother all the time and whenever somebody bumps into him too roughly or grabs one of his toys he looked over to his mother for help. Meanwhile the two girls both one year younger were roughly playing and having fun all over the place.

I think when it comes to food overprotecting can fuck up a kid as well. If parents go hardline "no sugar" on kids they'll probably end up eating way too much sugar later in life.

- Boy was skinny-fat. They only feed him with junk, and a time when he was to fat, tryied to cut bread! LIke its was probably the most health thing in the boy diet!

Most of the healthy food I eat (fruits, veggies, nuts, lean meats/whey, brown rice) is way cheaper than the crap I see my unhealthy overweight co-workers eat. Its funny to see my co workers come in with a 6 dollar breakfast sandwich when my packet of organic oatmeal with a scoop of peanut butter literally cost me half a dollar.

The only scenario I could see in which unhealthy food is significantly cheaper is if someone literally just drinks 2-liter sodas and candy all day which isn't really what's happening.

Even in that scenario if the calorie to dollar ratio leans 40% in their favor it doesn't matter because they eat 2x the number of calories so there still spending more money to get less nutrition and feel like shit

The whole "junk food and fast food is way cheaper than healthy food" is a joke narrative. It's easier for someone to say that than to say "healthy food is boring, I'd rather just be addicted to salt, trans fat, and sugar"
Someone has to be blamed and the people who suffer from poor health due to poor diet have to be victims of something.

LOL that last part about the burgers is hilarious but sad at the same time. How hard is it to make your kids a sandwich and have them bring it to school with them in a lunchbox? Although I wouldn't be surprised if most of the "bread" in the USA has like 25% sugar in it.

I guess the obvious problem is that these parents eat unhealthy and don't realize it so they give the same shit to their kids. Just looking at an ingredient list of a random cereal box would almost give me a heart attack and some of these idiots probably think it's healthy lol.
Honestly the e numbers, preservatives, corn syrup here are beyond ridiculous. The bread here lasts for weeks before going off.

- It's is because its dentrimental to several futures choices that the kid will make. A kid doesnt needs to be good at sports, but to pratice them to develop the motor skills, that will help him down the line, if he choose a path that exiges a more physical work.

A kid can do dance, ballet, basket(as long he knows Shaq was the best), martial-arts, anu thing to keep him moving. A sedentary kid, whatnever he is skinny or fat, will have a hard time passing a fire-fighter test for example. Amy one can get shrededd and muscular, they seel that in boittles. But athletic ability is diferent.

Do you have kids?
I don't. But I'm thankful that on a single parent army income I was fed all my five a day, a couple of times a year my mum would do a fry up rather than sticking everything in the oven or under the grill. I was pretty sporty so was playing tennis every week night at a club after school and the rest of the time was horse riding or, playing music with friends, shopping or thrashing my dad at squash. All activities that didn't have my parents sit me in front of a TV all day.

Back