Social A new study bolsters evidence that severe obesity is increasing in young kids in the US

Remember how the news loved to report on 20 & 30 year olds who died from COVID in 2020/2021.

Everytime... extremely morbidly obese.

Why COVID-19 is more deadly in people with obesity—even if they're young

When the first wave of coronavirus hit the state of Vermont in the spring, patients from all corners of the state came to the intensive care unit at the University of Vermont Medical Center. There, critical care physician MaryEllen Antkowiak quickly saw a tragic pattern: Patients arrived at the hospital after a few days of flulike symptoms and fever. They tested positive for COVID-19. They grew increasingly short of breath. Many ended up on ventilators, and many died.

In addition to this course of disease, patients frequently shared one additional attribute: obesity. "These were otherwise healthy, hard-working people," Antkowiak says. "Their major risk factor for getting this sick was obesity."

Since the pandemic began, dozens of studies have reported that many of the sickest COVID-19 patients have been people with obesity. In recent weeks, that link has come into sharper focus as large new population studies have cemented the association and demonstrated that even people who are merely overweight are at higher risk.
Save you some time
They do die much more frequently
It’s more to do with the blood not moving as much, same with older people

Healthy foods are often more expensive. Here’s why​

Idil Karsit

Eating a healthier — or at least a more balanced diet — is not always as easy as it sounds, with food prices leading to large disparities between rich and poor communities in many countries.
1000_F_489173935_2pRSU9HJPUHsIoK1JGMfb8ytG1IRj6HU.jpg

One piece of British research in 2023, the Broken Plate report by The Food Foundation released in June, found that healthy food is usually twice as expensive as less healthy food, on a per calorie basis.

Campaigners say high prices have reduced many households’ ability to buy healthy or healthier food, pushing consumers toward less healthy, ultra-processed options.

With this cost divide, it’s worth focusing on nutrient-rich fresh fruit and vegetables, in particular — which are key to any balanced diet.

Fruit and vegetables​

Countries in the developed world are increasingly dependent on international imports as more consumers demand year-round access to tropical or out of season fruit and vegetables. This has led to a longer and more complicated global supply chain.
The U.S. is one of the biggest importers of fresh fruit and vegetables in the world, and it’s a big exporter too. But while U.S. production by volume has remained stable over the years, its imports have increased by 129% for fruit, and by 155% for vegetables, in the last 20 years.

images

According to a recent study by the U.K.’s University of Warwick, fixed costs in the supply chain alone have led to American consumers paying 40% more for fruit and vegetables over a 10-year period.

“The data very clearly says, there is this fixed high cost for fresh fruit and vegetable, which is not there for other products,” Thijs Van Rens, one of the authors of the Warwick study told CNBC. “This market is inefficient in setting the right prices.”

In contrast, Van Rens argued, ultra-processed food items — which aren’t perishable like fresh produce — are becoming cheaper. “Junk food is cheap because you can keep it forever. You can buy it in bulk, you can produce it in bulk, you can deliver it when it’s cheap to deliver it,” he said.

“There is a very tight link between the price of food and how healthy it is for you.”

Indeed, the amount of vegetables bought by British families has fallen to its lowest level in 50 years, the Food Foundation study found.

Rebecca Tobi, a senior business and investor manager at The Food Foundation, said there is a big gap in policy in terms of how lawmakers are making it easier for people to access healthier foods. “Choice is severely constrained when it comes to what people can buy,” she told CNBC.

60150_alt3.JPG

Labor shortages​

The agricultural workforce is in decline in most countries around the world, especially in Europe and the U.S., according to International Labour Organization (ILO).
Farming and agriculture is no longer a desirable career route for many people with its unsociable and long hours, the physical intensity of the labor, which is often in remote, rural locations for little pay.
As the domestic work force shrinks and ages, developed nations traditionally rely on non-domestic and seasonal workers. Thus, any shortage of workers affects the stability of the food supply chain overall.
A survey by the U.K.‘s National Farmers’ Union (NFU) found that fruit and vegetables worth £22 million ($28 million) were wasted in the first half of 2022 alone, directly because of workforce shortages.

60404.jpg

The union said 38,000 seasonal worker visas were available in 2022 while the industry needed 70,000 workers.

The British government hopes automation could reduce the demand for migrant workers. Countries with aging populations like Japan already invest in autonomous farming technologies.

But automation means more investment in equipment for developers which could result in new price increases for the produce.

U.S. farms are affected from a similar scarcity of labor, demonstrated by a steep increase in the number of agricultural worker visas (H-2A) that American farmers have requested in the last 20 years.

Unpredictable weather​

Further complicating supply chains for fruit and vegetables is the weather. China, India, Brazil, Turkey, and Mexico are among the largest fruit exporters of the world. And every single one of these countries has suffered from extreme weather events over the last five years.
In 2023, Mexico saw such high temperatures that the government is now carrying out cloud seeding to artificially increase rain. China saw both devastating floods and extreme heat in the same season, wiping out its crops and disrupting the food supply.

A new analysis by Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit found that climate change, combined with the impact of energy costs, have increased household bills by an average of £605 ($770) in the U.K. Strikingly, climate costs accounted for 60% this increase alone, the study said.

What does it all mean?​

Speaking more broadly, 3.14 billion people around the world — around 42% of the global population – couldn’t afford a healthy diet in 2021, according to the World Bank.
The U.S. saw a record 11.4% price hike in food prices during 2022 and a 3.4% increase on top of that in the last 12 months. An average consumer in the U.K. now pays 30% more on food compared to two years ago.

The decreasing availability of healthy food is unfolding as obesity rates skyrocket around the world.
The World Obesity Federation predicts that, without an intervention, roughly 51% of the global population could be obese or overweight in the next decade – with an economic impact measured at $4.3 trillion by 2035.

legodiner2_1024x1024.JPG

Van Rens said educating the public on healthy eating habits or labeling the food products would only work for “affluent consumers” who already possess some level of awareness on the health and environmental impact of their diets.

“Food companies reformulating products in a healthier way, or governments lowering the prices of fruit and vegetables through subsidies, that’s what most people would pay attention to,” he added.

images

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/27/healthy-foods-are-often-more-expensive-heres-why.html

Dude he can’t even play flag football cause he’s so out of shape.

He just needs a little ADHD. My step son will pretty much only eat trash and was underweight. Motherfucker counteracts the trash food by not being able to sit still for two goddamn seconds.

I've always just liked salty or spicy meat. Steaks, beef jerky, marinated chicken etc. Eggs, etc. Burgers, hot dogs. I drink coffee, black or teas often. Limted vegetables, but certainly I get some in there. I do get grains, but not too much. Id say around 50 carbs

I've never been fat, my bmi is 19% on the electo pulse sensor scale. Which I realize isn't perfect, but I'm happy with my fitness at 31, as I've been able to bulk a little better with time.

I think the problem is simple and cliche at this point. Many people cannot process all this suger and grains with the inactivity and not become fat. And its even worse if your destroy your metabolic systems as a teenager

Hi, professional trainer here: this is wrong. We tell people all the time, “you can’t outrun a bad diet”. Exercise is good for all sorts of reasons both physically and mentally, but of the two diet is way more important than exercise.
Boxing 6 times a week and doing 3 slow paced cardio sessions on top of that I can eat like a pig and not gain any weight. Actually hard to gain weight and I’m in my thirties with a desk job. I’m also not an ectomorph BTW. If I don’t do that much cardio I can gain muscle quite well.

Boxing 6 times a week and doing 3 slow paced cardio sessions on top of that I can eat like a pig and not gain any weight. Actually hard to gain weight and I’m in my thirties with a desk job. I’m also not an ectomorph BTW. If I don’t do that much cardio I can gain muscle quite well.

The fact that you talk about ectos makes me instantly assume you used to post on DBB back in the day lol, it was probably the most common insult around those parts.

What you say is true though when it comes to weight, not necessarily to health. If you do enough physical activity you can eat like thrash and not become fat, but you can definitely become unhealthy.

Healthy foods are often more expensive. Here’s why​

Idil Karsit

Eating a healthier — or at least a more balanced diet — is not always as easy as it sounds, with food prices leading to large disparities between rich and poor communities in many countries.
1000_F_489173935_2pRSU9HJPUHsIoK1JGMfb8ytG1IRj6HU.jpg

One piece of British research in 2023, the Broken Plate report by The Food Foundation released in June, found that healthy food is usually twice as expensive as less healthy food, on a per calorie basis.

Campaigners say high prices have reduced many households’ ability to buy healthy or healthier food, pushing consumers toward less healthy, ultra-processed options.

With this cost divide, it’s worth focusing on nutrient-rich fresh fruit and vegetables, in particular — which are key to any balanced diet.

Fruit and vegetables​

Countries in the developed world are increasingly dependent on international imports as more consumers demand year-round access to tropical or out of season fruit and vegetables. This has led to a longer and more complicated global supply chain.
The U.S. is one of the biggest importers of fresh fruit and vegetables in the world, and it’s a big exporter too. But while U.S. production by volume has remained stable over the years, its imports have increased by 129% for fruit, and by 155% for vegetables, in the last 20 years.

images

According to a recent study by the U.K.’s University of Warwick, fixed costs in the supply chain alone have led to American consumers paying 40% more for fruit and vegetables over a 10-year period.

“The data very clearly says, there is this fixed high cost for fresh fruit and vegetable, which is not there for other products,” Thijs Van Rens, one of the authors of the Warwick study told CNBC. “This market is inefficient in setting the right prices.”

In contrast, Van Rens argued, ultra-processed food items — which aren’t perishable like fresh produce — are becoming cheaper. “Junk food is cheap because you can keep it forever. You can buy it in bulk, you can produce it in bulk, you can deliver it when it’s cheap to deliver it,” he said.

“There is a very tight link between the price of food and how healthy it is for you.”

Indeed, the amount of vegetables bought by British families has fallen to its lowest level in 50 years, the Food Foundation study found.

Rebecca Tobi, a senior business and investor manager at The Food Foundation, said there is a big gap in policy in terms of how lawmakers are making it easier for people to access healthier foods. “Choice is severely constrained when it comes to what people can buy,” she told CNBC.

60150_alt3.JPG

Labor shortages​

The agricultural workforce is in decline in most countries around the world, especially in Europe and the U.S., according to International Labour Organization (ILO).
Farming and agriculture is no longer a desirable career route for many people with its unsociable and long hours, the physical intensity of the labor, which is often in remote, rural locations for little pay.
As the domestic work force shrinks and ages, developed nations traditionally rely on non-domestic and seasonal workers. Thus, any shortage of workers affects the stability of the food supply chain overall.
A survey by the U.K.‘s National Farmers’ Union (NFU) found that fruit and vegetables worth £22 million ($28 million) were wasted in the first half of 2022 alone, directly because of workforce shortages.

60404.jpg

The union said 38,000 seasonal worker visas were available in 2022 while the industry needed 70,000 workers.

The British government hopes automation could reduce the demand for migrant workers. Countries with aging populations like Japan already invest in autonomous farming technologies.

But automation means more investment in equipment for developers which could result in new price increases for the produce.

U.S. farms are affected from a similar scarcity of labor, demonstrated by a steep increase in the number of agricultural worker visas (H-2A) that American farmers have requested in the last 20 years.

Unpredictable weather​

Further complicating supply chains for fruit and vegetables is the weather. China, India, Brazil, Turkey, and Mexico are among the largest fruit exporters of the world. And every single one of these countries has suffered from extreme weather events over the last five years.
In 2023, Mexico saw such high temperatures that the government is now carrying out cloud seeding to artificially increase rain. China saw both devastating floods and extreme heat in the same season, wiping out its crops and disrupting the food supply.

A new analysis by Energy and Climate Intelligence Unit found that climate change, combined with the impact of energy costs, have increased household bills by an average of £605 ($770) in the U.K. Strikingly, climate costs accounted for 60% this increase alone, the study said.

What does it all mean?​

Speaking more broadly, 3.14 billion people around the world — around 42% of the global population – couldn’t afford a healthy diet in 2021, according to the World Bank.
The U.S. saw a record 11.4% price hike in food prices during 2022 and a 3.4% increase on top of that in the last 12 months. An average consumer in the U.K. now pays 30% more on food compared to two years ago.

The decreasing availability of healthy food is unfolding as obesity rates skyrocket around the world.
The World Obesity Federation predicts that, without an intervention, roughly 51% of the global population could be obese or overweight in the next decade – with an economic impact measured at $4.3 trillion by 2035.

legodiner2_1024x1024.JPG

Van Rens said educating the public on healthy eating habits or labeling the food products would only work for “affluent consumers” who already possess some level of awareness on the health and environmental impact of their diets.

“Food companies reformulating products in a healthier way, or governments lowering the prices of fruit and vegetables through subsidies, that’s what most people would pay attention to,” he added.

images

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/27/healthy-foods-are-often-more-expensive-heres-why.html
As if the majority of fat people are cooking their own meals lol. They just go to fast food places too much and buy instant stuff because it’s easier.

Also, the goal is for fat people to eat fewer calories, so why would it matter if healthy food is more expensive per calorie lol. Most those fatties could easily eat half and still be above their daily need.

People need to take some fucking responsibility for their fatness.

The fact that you talk about ectos makes me instantly assume you used to post on DBB back in the day lol, it was probably the most common insult around those parts.

What you say is true though when it comes to weight, not necessarily to health. If you do enough physical activity you can eat like thrash and not become fat, but you can definitely become unhealthy.
Heh no I never posted there but did read when I was still lifting weights a lot.

Agreed on the unhealthy part though. Bad food is still bad, but still better than being fat + unhealthy food.

This.

Obesity is a sign of capitalism!
Nah, it’s a sign of lazy and uneducated people.

I’m living in a capitalistic society and so do my friends. None of them is overweight except one who’s eating pudding all the time.

Nah, it’s a sign of lazy and uneducated people.

I’m living in a capitalistic society and so do my friends. None of them is overweight except one who’s eating pudding all the time.

I said a sign of, not necessarily a negative result from.

Obesity presents itself as an option in a system of potential excess (only known through capitalism so far?). And you're right, free will determines whether an individual partakes in the temptation or addiction. We know from a cursory glance in the history books that while humans generally know better, we do not act on it with convincing numbers!

I said a sign of, not necessarily a negative result from.

Obesity presents itself as an option in a system of potential excess (only known through capitalism so far?). And you're right, free will determines whether an individual partakes in the temptation or addiction. We know from a cursory glance in the history books that while humans generally know better, we do not act on it with convincing numbers!
I agree. While obesity wasn’t only present in capitalism throughout history.
It was a beauty ideal in middle ages and Arabian culture, the Chinese had their own fat thingy going iirc but yes. Now people are able to have excessive shit,high caloric “food” and lack activity to burn that.

I have my struggles too with different habits, substances etc. but smashing your face in the cheapest, most gross industrialised scam food?! Have some class in your stupidity and weakness atleast.

Last edited:
- To be fair. I think this started two or so decades ago. And now reached this level.

As i said a couple of posts before. Were i live, we have great soccers fields. Nobody uses. Those fields been around fora 15 years or more. When i was a kid, we had to break into the school to play. When the cops were called, they used to encorage us to play.

So the sedentary generation of 15years ago, now all have kids. When the kids get to fat, they send them to martial-arts. But two hours of "exercising", isn't going to compensate for all the time doing nothing.

- I know you're a smart woman. They will never act on this. Because obese kids now, like sick adults tomorrow. More money. The fitness industry will sell a lot of uselles powders too.

It really is cruelty though isn't it? I'm going to sound like a cantankerous old woman but video games etc don't help. There's a guy here laying on skateboard events for kids because we're a small town with very little for them to do and they're really popular which is great. I know it isn't football running around for 90 minutes but it's still an activity when they're not sat on their asses being fed Maccy Ds. I've been on the large scale before, but I was always fed a balanced healthy diet by my parents.

New study was just dieticians going to the mall and saying, "Damn look at all these chubby little fucks"

It really is cruelty though isn't it? I'm going to sound like a cantankerous old woman but video games etc don't help. There's a guy here laying on skateboard events for kids because we're a small town with very little for them to do and they're really popular which is great. I know it isn't football running around for 90 minutes but it's still an activity when they're not sat on their asses being fed Maccy Ds. I've been on the large scale before, but I was always fed a balanced healthy diet by my parents.

As a parent it's sad to see the way some other parents treat their young kids. My daughter had a little buddy over a while ago and all he wanted to do was watch tv. Meanwhile she was trying to play with all kinds of toys and be social.

Their parents are just raising a complete pussy and the kid can't do anything about it. He's a boy but when a girl who is 1 years younger takes his toy he cries and runs off to mommy. When they bump heads on the trampoline he cries while she laughs it off. A bit off topic but I'll finish it off by mentioning that they give him all kinds of sweet food too.

As if the majority of fat people are cooking their own meals lol. They just go to fast food places too much and buy instant stuff because it’s easier.

Also, the goal is for fat people to eat fewer calories, so why would it matter if healthy food is more expensive per calorie lol. Most those fatties could easily eat half and still be above their daily need.

People need to take some fucking responsibility for their fatness.

When I decide to cut weight/lean out I actually spend less money, probably like $50 a week. Instead of going out often I just cook a bunch of meat, seafood, rice and eat salad. Rice is dirt cheap, salad is cheap, meat is moderately priced. It’s not exciting but it’s cheap and healthy.

Versus if I feel like a fat pos I go to the food truck at my local brewery or pizza spot down the street and drop $25 on one meal lmao.

Just ask our mans Jonathan majors about chicken and rice, all natty baby. Just don’t ask him for relationship advice.

jonathan_majors_dietandworkout-1.png

As a parent it's sad to see the way some other parents treat their young kids. My daughter had a little buddy over a while ago and all he wanted to do was watch tv. Meanwhile she was trying to play with all kinds of toys and be social.

Their parents are just raising a complete pussy and the kid can't do anything about it. He's a boy but when a girl who is 1 years younger takes his toy he cries and runs off to mommy. When they bump heads on the trampoline he cries while she laughs it off. A bit off topic but I'll finish it off by mentioning that they give him all kinds of sweet food too.
Even more off topic, you're more likely to get picked on if you're an obese child, and kids can be really horrible at school. It's more expensive feeding them fast food so it really is just down to laziness. With recipes for simple clean quick food are all over the internet you can't even say you can't cook. Jamie Oliver did a show to try and get school dinners more healthy and nutritious and get the government to raise how much they would fund per child per meal. The parents were showing up at the gates with burgers for them! Make them a packed lunch ffs. You're a good parent raising a switched on kid.

When I decide to cut weight/lean out I actually spend less money, probably like $50 a week. Instead of going out often I just cook a bunch of meat, seafood, rice and eat salad. Rice is dirt cheap, salad is cheap, meat is moderately priced. It’s not exciting but it’s cheap and healthy.

Versus if I feel like a fat pos I go to the food truck at my local brewery or pizza spot down the street and drop $25 on one meal lmao.

Just ask our mans Jonathan majors about chicken and rice, all natty baby. Just don’t ask him for relationship advice.

jonathan_majors_dietandworkout-1.png
See when I was living in brewery land I would go Saturday or Sunday without fail and eat from whichever food truck they had, but it was once a week. Everything else was home cooked and everything is okay in moderation.

My son’s mother feeds him constant junk food. He’s like 99% in weight and his BMI is through the roof.

He’s straight addicted to sugary things. Since I only have him every other weekend my ability to fix it is basically null.

Schools and other parents have absolutely normalized candy, cupcakes, junk food etc, as a daily thing. Not a once in a while treat.

When me and my ex broke up my daughter got noticeably fatter. Even my dad was asking me what's going on. She was around 7 at the time. Thankfully once her Grandmother died (her mom and grandmother lived together) she wanted to come live with me and her weight came back down.

Even more off topic, you're more likely to get picked on if you're an obese child, and kids can be really horrible at school. It's more expensive feeding them fast food so it really is just down to laziness. With recipes for simple clean quick food are all over the internet you can't even say you can't cook. Jamie Oliver did a show to try and get school dinners more healthy and nutritious and get the government to raise how much they would fund per child per meal. The parents were showing up at the gates with burgers for them! Make them a packed lunch ffs. You're a good parent raising a switched on kid.

LOL that last part about the burgers is hilarious but sad at the same time. How hard is it to make your kids a sandwich and have them bring it to school with them in a lunchbox? Although I wouldn't be surprised if most of the "bread" in the USA has like 25% sugar in it.

I guess the obvious problem is that these parents eat unhealthy and don't realize it so they give the same shit to their kids. Just looking at an ingredient list of a random cereal box would almost give me a heart attack and some of these idiots probably think it's healthy lol.

Back