A serious question to you all about me writing a weight training book.

Knock it off, you fucking bully! This is not true! Haven’t you tortured me enough you fucking asshole?
Mate, I pointed out you answer it. I didn't say a bad thing at all. You say that you are doing it for hip strength. It's flawed thinking because that's what your back squat is for in weightlifting. Anything clean position related (front squat) should be done in your weightlifting stance. You were just using the wrong assistance exercises for their purpose at the time.

Wtf is this thread. Well anything involving maximus can only be shit and ego stroking.

Why ? because I called you out also for talking crap online.

Your 10 mins of heavy bag 2-5 x a month doesn't constitute high level conditioning. You talked crap about powerlifters and then another poster outed you for putting your photos up on this forum. You fixated on me for some reason without realising at no point did I say you were overweight. To top it off after calling out powerlifters as unfit, you posted that racking weights and using the toilet was tiring and counted it in your cardio after bad mouthing powerlifters for being unfit. Multiple times you said you would kick the crap out of me and other posters.

I haven't said a single bad thing about @Baby Hanma lifts at all. I just called out a self confessed troll and then he showed me that he has a great squat and we all complimented it. The dude backed up his squat claims with a great technique video.

Look at the topic of the thread and contents of his threads. I have been pretty nice to be honest. The threads have been Naudi levels of ridiculousness.

Your 10 mins of heavy bag 2-5 x a month doesn't constitute high level conditioning. You talked crap about powerlifters and then another poster outed you for putting your photos up on this forum. You fixated on me for some reason without realising at no point did I say you were overweight. To top it off after calling out powerlifters as unfit, you posted that racking weights and using the toilet was tiring and counted it in your cardio after bad mouthing powerlifters for being unfit. Multiple times you said you would kick the crap out of me and other posters.

I haven't said a single bad thing about @Baby Hanma lifts at all. I just called out a self confessed troll and then he showed me that he has a great squat and we all complimented it. The dude backed up his squat claims with a great technique video.

Look at the topic of the thread and contents of his threads. I have been pretty nice to be honest. The threads have been Naudi levels of ridiculousness.

He literally said that walking to the toilet and re-racking weights counts as cardio?

Don‘t forget no straps. I’m literally about to buy one of those FatGripz barbell huggers for extreme grip training and never relying on straps for bent over rows.

Hepburn was an early proponent of using straps in training. I personally only bothered when I was doing oly lifting for high pulls way back when. I primarily used the hook grip (tape over the thumbs) and never felt I could outlift my grip strength. My heaviest deadlift was done with minimal chalk that I snuck into the gym because I wasn't allowed to have any in there.

I find clubells, kettlebells and using weighted pullups as a primary exercise worked were enough, espcially the weighted pullups. I would love a thick bar if I could be bothered spending the money on one.

Bla bla bla am not gonna read. Have a nice day :)

He literally said that walking to the toilet and re-racking weights counts as cardio?
He said it was tiring and extra cardio after calling out powerlifters for being overweight and unfit in your Rippetoe thread. Same thing, representing himself as being superior to powerlifters following a basic program, when the reality was he hits the random bag a few times a month and lifts randomly whilst calling most members in the thread fat and overweight before saying he would kick peoples heads in.

Just tell the truth online people.

Hepburn was an early proponent of using straps in training. I personally only bothered when I was doing oly lifting for high pulls way back when. I primarily used the hook grip (tape over the thumbs) and never felt I could outlift my grip strength. My heaviest deadlift was done with minimal chalk that I snuck into the gym because I wasn't allowed to have any in there.

I find clubells, kettlebells and using weighted pullups as a primary exercise worked were enough, espcially the weighted pullups. I would love a thick bar if I could be bothered spending the money on one.

Is it standard to use tape over thumbs with hook grip when doing the Olympic lifts or their variations? I don’t use hook grip on my pulls. At least not yet. I never made myself get used to them. They were painful and I never bothered.

I always resisted using straps, and honestly, I think I was a dumbass for that as well. I pretty much always use straps for rep work or a high volume of sets. I do not use straps in the 1-3 rep range if lower sets. Unless grip has been a limiting issue, save your hands.

Is it standard to use tape over thumbs with hook grip when doing the Olympic lifts or their variations? I don’t use hook grip on my pulls. At least not yet. I never made myself get used to them. They were painful and I never bothered.

I always did. It makes the hook grip bearable. It 100% increases your pull in the olympic lifts. My best lifts were a 90kg Clean and jerk and a 70kg Power snatch at a bodyweight of between 68kg -75kg.

Weightlifting and pounds is just weird. Kgs for that sport are superior. I never pursued it enough to go past those numbers to be honest after some back and wrist injuries that prevent me catching the snatch correctly. On the rare occasions I play around with squat cleans, pulling with a hook grip makes it feel easy to get into the correct position. I actively lift less with a normal grip and it's noticeable that my pull and catch position are weaker.

I always resisted using straps, and honestly, I think I was a dumbass for that as well. I pretty much always use straps for rep work or a high volume of sets. I do not use straps in the 1-3 rep range if lower sets. Unless grip has been a limiting issue, save your hands.
I think these days I would use them more, but I don't lift heavy enough to need to. I have never felt that grip was the reason I missed a lift, but I would definitely use them if weight on the bar or mass was my goal.

I got back home some hours ago with newly purchased straps just in case I wanna use them for my pulls or rows.

I‘m sorry but you gotta qualify this. Where or when did he say this?
Prior to the British Empire Games at which he lifted 370 press, 300 snatch, and 370 clean and jerk for 1,040 total, Doug placed great emphasis on heavy pulls to waist height and attempted to learn the squat clean and squat snatch. In the pulls he copied the Paul Anderson method of strapping his hands to the bar and worked up to the point of pulling 500 pounds waist high for a single. During one training session in which he warmed up and just worked to his limit in the squat snatch, Doug succeeded with 320 pounds. Although unofficial, this is one of the best snatch lifts ever made.

I recall seeing both him and Paul Anderson linked to the use of straps with metal hooks. Neither claim the lifts but there is mention of old time strongmen using straps for years. See below.

Prior to the British Empire Games at which he lifted 370 press, 300 snatch, and 370 clean and jerk for 1,040 total, Doug placed great emphasis on heavy pulls to waist height and attempted to learn the squat clean and squat snatch. In the pulls he copied the Paul Anderson method of strapping his hands to the bar and worked up to the point of pulling 500 pounds waist high for a single. During one training session in which he warmed up and just worked to his limit in the squat snatch, Doug succeeded with 320 pounds. Although unofficial, this is one of the best snatch lifts ever made.

I recall seeing both him and Paul Anderson linked to the use of straps with metal hooks. Neither claim the lifts but there is mention of old time strongmen using straps for years. See below.

He, however, was not vocal about using straps on training. You put that on him. He probably didn’t care. He never mentioned it in the special appendix of his book where he outlined his complete training system and training philosophy.

He, however, was not vocal about using straps on training. You put that on him. He probably didn’t care. He never mentioned it in the special appendix of his book where he outlined his complete training system and training philosophy.
I recall an article somewhere back in the day where it talks about him and Paul Anderson specifically recommending straps as a means to break through training plateau. He also has a Deadlift record with straps attributed to him (740lbs) listed as a strength accomplishment. He wasn't necessarily shouting about straps from the roof top, but using them would suggest he was supportive of their use. You usually lean into one camp with strap use.

Unless specifically training for grip or if you have a grip issues, I don't know why anyone would be opposed to straps. The last thing that I want on a set where I'm not working grip is for grip to be a limiting factor. Like I said, I didn't use straps for 10+ years. I never thought grip was a limiting factor on sets, but once you use straps, you see it probably held you back a little bit.

I use straps where my grip would be my limiting factor, but only then. So if I'm doing rack pulls, I'll start warming up without them and maybe use them for the top 1 or 2 sets. My thinking, and I may be dumb, is to get as much grip training as I can on that exercise, but not let my grip stop me from getting the most I can for my back/legs/etc on the working sets. I train BJJ so on one hand, I want to continue to build up my grip strength and on the other hand, depending on the day, my grip might be totally shot from rolling the night before.

I use straps where my grip would be my limiting factor, but only then. So if I'm doing rack pulls, I'll start warming up without them and maybe use them for the top 1 or 2 sets. My thinking, and I may be dumb, is to get as much grip training as I can on that exercise, but not let my grip stop me from getting the most I can for my back/legs/etc on the working sets. I train BJJ so on one hand, I want to continue to build up my grip strength and on the other hand, depending on the day, my grip might be totally shot from rolling the night before.

I think it is a limiting factor for many even when they don't realize it. Say you are going for a top set of 5 on deadlift. Do that weight one day without straps and then do it with straps another day. I've noticed my speed in between reps is quicker with straps as well. Don't get me wrong, I still do a lot of pulling without straps too though.

I don't think it's dumb at all. I simply think that, when training, you either go all the way with grip training on that session, or go all the way with back training with straps. Mixing the two goals in one training session is counterproductive in my opinion.

It's for the same reason that I never superset opposing muscle groups even though lots of bodybuilders think its a great idea.

Am I late to the party?
jason-momoa-folding-chair.gif

or should I not waste my time reading though this thread?
baby-turns-around.gif

Back