News AJ McKee MMAjunkie #1 FW

So Volkanovski is #1 because he won a robbery decision against Holloway? Please.

If Volkanovski and Mckee fought tomorrow, Mckee would likely be favored. Mckee is the best fighter in the world at 145 right now.

And by the same logic, the real 205lb rankings right now are Jiri #1, Nemkov #2.
He probably would beat Volk or Ortega but he needs to come to the UFC or have a cross promotion. Who else is there for McKee to fight in Bellator? I guess Pico could be an option if he builds up his record.

He probably would beat Volk or Ortega but he needs to come to the UFC or have a cross promotion. Who else is there for McKee to fight in Bellator? I guess Pico could be an option if he builds up his record.
While lots of fights make sense for him on paper, there isn't a clear opponent that would be worth paying him 7 figures for.

Pico has a legitimate shot at beating him though, and that potential fight would be very risky for him.

So Volkanovski is #1 because he won a robbery decision against Holloway? Please.

If Volkanovski and Mckee fought tomorrow, Mckee would likely be favored. Mckee is the best fighter in the world at 145 right now.

And by the same logic, the real 205lb rankings right now are Jiri #1, Nemkov #2.

Not sure I'd favour him over the Max that fought Calvin Kattar.

In his interview, AJ sounds confident that he will come to an agreement with Bellator and sounds very happy to continue to work with Bellator. He sounds very appreciative of Bellator and sounds very grateful to be able to work together and be the face of the promotion, but he also wants to be paid for what he brings. Apparently, Bellator, for once, is being smart and using all the leverage they can to keep AJ happy (ability to do boxing matches in Showtime, CBS cards, sponsorships, etc.). Everyone is talking about the superfights AJ can make in the UFC, but we are all forgetting that the UFC isn't particularly known for paying their fighter too much, particularly new comers. I seriously dont think the UFC will be paying AJ more than, Ortega, Volk, or Max are already making, and none of them clear 7-figures even with PPV points. In the end, money will be a deciding factor, I do wonder how much the UFC would be willing to offer AJ.

In his interview, AJ sounds confident that he will come to an agreement with Bellator and sounds very happy to continue to work with Bellator. He sounds very appreciative of Bellator and sounds very grateful to be able to work together and be the face of the promotion, but he also wants to be paid for what he brings. Apparently, Bellator, for once, is being smart and using all the leverage they can to keep AJ happy (ability to do boxing matches in Showtime, CBS cards, sponsorships, etc.). Everyone is talking about the superfights AJ can make in the UFC, but we are all forgetting that the UFC isn't particularly known for paying their fighter too much, particularly new comers. I seriously dont think the UFC will be paying AJ more than, Ortega, Volk, or Max are already making, and none of them clear 7-figures even with PPV points. In the end, money will be a deciding factor, I do wonder how much the UFC would be willing to offer AJ.
Idk about that actually. I recall a couple UFC lightweight veterans complained when Chandler joined from Bellator because he was making more than them despite them being in the company for a while and having a lot of success. I think it's pretty typical of free agency to have to overpay. He won't make 7 figures but he won't make that anywhere in modern MMA, except for as a one time offering in a GP setting.

Thats just stupid. Pitbull is his only ranked win. Showtime probably paid MMA Junkie to do that. You cant be the best until you beat the best, so if Mckee wants the legit number 1 spot, he's going to have to come to the UFC.
False

Caldwell and Curran were both ranked in the top 15 when he beat them

Idk about that actually. I recall a couple UFC lightweight veterans complained when Chandler joined from Bellator because he was making more than them despite them being in the company for a while and having a lot of success. I think it's pretty typical of free agency to have to overpay. He won't make 7 figures but he won't make that anywhere in modern MMA, except for as a one time offering in a GP setting.
Yes, you might be right in that regard. I'm extremely curious to see AJ's market value in the following months. I'm assuming he will be making a pretty penny plus some sponsorship money, specially if Bellator does a couple of CBS cards that sponsorship money should be pretty good.

He'll end up in UFC in like 5-6 years. not this contract, probably not even the next one but one after like Chandler. He'll be early 30's and still good but maybe not as good as he was. He'll get paid well but it will be about challenging himself against the best.

Theres no reason to leave now. Sure as a fan who wouldnt want to see him against Max and Volk but he can get paid well by Bellator, be the face of the org and get decent but not huge fights but thats good enough.

He'll end up in UFC in like 5-6 years. not this contract, probably not even the next one but one after like Chandler. He'll be early 30's and still good but maybe not as good as he was. He'll get paid well but it will be about challenging himself against the best.

Theres no reason to leave now. Sure as a fan who wouldnt want to see him against Max and Volk but he can get paid well by Bellator, be the face of the org and get decent but not huge fights but thats good enough.
Who knows what happens with Bellator in that time. Lots can change. Coker might get fired, that lawsuit that UFC is facing in regards to monopoly stuff might rule against them, etc.

Back