Economy Amazon's latest full size grocery store does away with cashiers

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
Jeff Bezos and company have been working on this full size grocery store since 2015. So for 5 years as well as information gathered at their Amazon Go small grocery stores.

Its moving towards cashier free stores were there is only stocking an receiving personal. A lot of people currently working at Whole Foods have been following this with interest.

This also is the reason why big box grocery stores have been experimenting with so much going without cashiers due to fear of Amazon.

This CNBC story will get a lot of down votes based on my asking people.

Good. I hate dealing with cashiers. I NEVER use a real cashier.

I always use self checkout whenever available.

this is really exciting tech. i remember the first time i saw it.

i wonder how its going to work with produce though where the customer has to weigh the products. i can see how it works with products that have a barcode. maybe they just do prepackaged produce or they have a solution around that? otherwise, whats to stop someone weighing up 2 apples and putting sticker on a bag of 2 apples and then throwing another 5 apples in the bag before he walks out?

i wonder how its going to work with produce though where the customer has to weigh the products. i can see how it works with products that have a barcode. maybe they just do prepackaged produce or they have a solution around that? otherwise, whats to stop someone weighing up 2 apples and putting sticker on a bag of 2 apples and then throwing another 5 apples in the bag before he walks out?

Just keep them out of the ghetto and you really wont have to worry. The amount of people in a middle class neighborhood willing to risk getting in trouble over 3 free apples is far and few between.

Lol good for him. He should be able to maximize his profits if he sees fit. Id prefer to have the freedom to do so if i were in a position. Hes not required to employ anybody .

Increasing the minimum wage is great for robots.

Honestly I'm surprised there isn't just an online VR store that ships to your door from a warehouse. You could make a lot of money from floating sponsored ads for products, paying for vr shelf space, etc

All of that is accounted for. You think they don't know people cheat at these aisles? At the local supermarket here, practically everyone steals produce- weighing in organic fruits but filling in the regular version at the computer for example.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/03/stealing-from-self-checkout/550940/
Self-checkout theft has become so widespread that a whole lingo has sprung up to describe its tactics. Ringing up a T-bone ($13.99/lb) with a code for a cheap ($0.49/lb) variety of produce is “the banana trick.” If a can of Illy espresso leaves the conveyor belt without being scanned, that’s called “the pass around.” “The switcheroo” is more labor-intensive: Peel the sticker off something inexpensive and place it over the bar code of something pricey. Just make sure both items are about the same weight, to avoid triggering that pesky “unexpected item” alert in the bagging area.

How common are self-scanning scams? If anonymous online questionnaires are any indication, very common. When Voucher Codes Pro, a company that offers coupons to internet shoppers, surveyed 2,634 people, nearly 20 percent admitted to having stolen at the self-checkout in the past

Despite this, it is still cheaper for them to do this than hire workers.

Honestly I'm surprised there isn't just an online VR store that ships to your door from a warehouse. You could make a lot of money from floating sponsored ads for products, paying for vr shelf space, etc
Amazon already does that in certain cities I believe.

This sounds cool too. I already use an online delivery service to deliver groceries for me.

What I think could be even cooler is other ways they can package and present groceries to sell.

For example, what if Amazon creates their own recipees or cookbook and then you just click a button and it orders the ingredients for the entire meal for you?

There is so much innovation and change that can be made with he way we buy groceries.

tenor.gif

I always use the cashier at my grocery store.

Increasing the minimum wage is great for robots.
You think companies aren't licking their chops for this no matter what minimum wage is? As soon as they can cut a salary they will, I don't know why you think making them pay workers a better wage is changing that one way or the other. It's not just minimum wage jobs the robot are coming for, remember when you could feed a family making cars?

The only time I use the automatic checkout is when I buy condoms, because apparently I'm a self conscious loser.

Back