Anderson Silva sabotaged his career

By not challenging for the 205 belt. Double champ status would have boosted his already strong claim to GOAT status and its not like he wasn't capable of doing it. He dispatched Forrest like no one ever had previously and would have been a threat to anyone in title contention at the time. I understand that Lyoto was his friend at the time and he didn't want to fight him but, it's not like he couldn't have got the belt before that and vacated or after Lyoto lost the belt. It's not like Machida went on to be a dominant champion, he lost his first defense to Shogun. And after that he had many chances to fight for the belt if he chose to but instead went on to fight Irving and Bonnar. This and the losing skid he went out on Post Weidman 2 are my only real criticisms of an otherwise amazing career.
What? Silva was never a big MW. He had a relatively high body fat. I don t understand this obsession with moving up weight class, as if that is a prerequisite for GOAT status.

it also wasnt as easy to get two divsion title shots back then, dana would say no a lot of the time, but he did have the chance to fight gsp at 170 and never wanted to try it

Other than continuing for too long and the dick pills, his career was picture perfect. He didn't need to capture the 205 belt and by the time Jon grabbed it he wouldn't have anyway.

I wouldn’t say picture perfect he tapped to cans

What are you even talking about? You're the one who said it was relevant that Silva used to fight at 170 as a reason he shouldn't be expected to fight at 205 and I pointed out that he wasn't challenging GSP at 170, so if GSP can be criticized for not fighting someone with a size advantage, so can Silva. Especially since he DID fight at 205 several times.

What you dont understand?

You are the one who draw an analogy GSP/Silva and Silva/Jones. Maybe because of ignorance

I gave you context on why people didnt find such analogy to be fair but you keep pretending. Because the weight differential in fight night is significantly bigger in Silva/Jones. So now its not ignorance in your part, its straight up dishonesty..

Had Jones competed at MW, and had he not be a huge LHW, probably Silva would be more critized for not challenging him at LHW. Do you understand or you will keep pretending?

BTW, Silva offered a catchweight and GSP still refused. It's what it is

I wouldn’t say picture perfect he tapped to cans
Name 3 fighters during Anderson's time that were as big as him and had completely unblemished records.

Add to it that Anderson didn't become well known until his UFC career where he went on a long undefeated run. Most of his superstardom didn't come until the very tail end of his championship run. No one cared about his previous losses.

How many guys career would you have preferred at that time?

People don't remember, but you really weren't allowed to do the double champ thing back then. It's more of a newer thing. There was a few LHW champs Silva could've beat.
the “champ champ” era is stupid and needs to go away permanently. it proves nothing, as the smaller fighter has a built-in excuse if he loses (a legitimate excuse btw—weight classes exist for a reason). it holds up both divisions. nobody defends both titles regularly. it’s like a bucket list item for trophy collectors, that’s it.

By not challenging for the 205 belt. Double champ status would have boosted his already strong claim to GOAT status and its not like he wasn't capable of doing it. He dispatched Forrest like no one ever had previously and would have been a threat to anyone in title contention at the time. I understand that Lyoto was his friend at the time and he didn't want to fight him but, it's not like he couldn't have got the belt before that and vacated or after Lyoto lost the belt. It's not like Machida went on to be a dominant champion, he lost his first defense to Shogun. And after that he had many chances to fight for the belt if he chose to but instead went on to fight Irving and Bonnar. This and the losing skid he went out on Post Weidman 2 are my only real criticisms of an otherwise amazing career.
he did fight for the LHW belt and lost.

he did fight for the LHW belt and lost.

If you refer to the Cormier fight, the belt wasnt on the line.
Anderson weighted-in at 198lbs btw, way below the LHW limit

Name 3 fighters during Anderson's time that were as big as him and had completely unblemished records.

Add to it that Anderson didn't become well known until his UFC career where he went on a long undefeated run. Most of his superstardom didn't come until the very tail end of his championship run. No one cared about his previous losses.

How many guys career would you have preferred at that time?
None

Could he have gone up and won the belt at LHW? I think so. He could have moved up in 2008 and fought for the belt instead of moving up to fight Irvin. At that time Forrest had just won the LHW belt, and we saw how that match went just about a year later. Silva could also have won it later that year when Rashad was champ I believe. Or after Machida lost it to Shogun, I think Silva would have beaten that Shogun.
But I don't think the UFC was keen on doing any champ vs champ other that Silva vs GSP during that period. I might be mistaken.

Regarding the sabotage when talking about Silva I would say the biggest issue is the PEDs.

What you dont understand?

You are the one who draw an analogy GSP/Silva and Silva/Jones. Maybe because of ignorance

I gave you context on why people didnt find such analogy to be fair but you keep pretending. Because the weight differential in fight night is significantly bigger in Silva/Jones. So now its not ignorance in your part, its straight up dishonesty..

Had Jones competed at MW, and had he not be a huge LHW, probably Silva would be more critized for not challenging him at LHW. Do you understand or you will keep pretending?

BTW, Silva offered a catchweight and GSP still refused. It's what it is

Have you considered that you might be insane? You legitimately sound like you can't follow a conversation that you, yourself, are leading, never mind your bizarre accusations of dishonesty and "changing the narrative". Silva fought several times at 205 and hadn't fought at 170 in a very long time, so to pretend he was closer to fitting into the 170 division than 205 is silly.

Anderson made it very clear he only wanted a superfight where he was the bigger fighter so, yeah, he deserves a bunch of the criticism that GSP received for not moving up.

You should build a time machine and go back and tell him TS.

Have you considered that you might be insane? You legitimately sound like you can't follow a conversation that you, yourself, are leading, never mind your bizarre accusations of dishonesty and "changing the narrative". Silva fought several times at 205 and hadn't fought at 170 in a very long time, so to pretend he was closer to fitting into the 170 division than 205 is silly.

Anderson made it very clear he only wanted a superfight where he was the bigger fighter so, yeah, he deserves a bunch of the criticism that GSP received for not moving up.

You are the one complaining for people, including Dana White, critizing GSP for the superfight not taking place.
I'm afraid the insane dude here is the one who pretend to go against the general consensus, while pushing a Jones/Silva analogy under insane levels of hipocrisy/ignorance. So get a grip and stop pretending

The weight differential, unlike in Jones/Silva, wasnt that big between GSP/Silva for Georges to so obstinely refuse the match, EVEN at catchweight.

The other reason that debunk your stupid/dishonest narrative was very well explained in this post:

Jones didn’t win the title until 2011 and it would be another year or so before he had cleared through the former champs. Silva lost his title in 2013 so realistically he only had about a year where he could have gone up and made that super fight happen, 2 if we really push it. And at that point it was the tail end of Silva’s career, he was on the wrong side of 30 by the time Jones was champ.

GSP on the other hand was champ for nearly the same amount of time as Silva with both of them winning their titles in 2006. GSP would lose his first defense in 2007 but then regain it that same year. And here the age factor was reversed with the lighter champion being the younger man.

Title Reigns:
GSP-2006-2007,2007-2012
Silva-2006-2013
Jones-2011-2015,2018-2019

I agree about GSP getting too much hate for not going up, people on here acting like he was somehow obligated to make the jump to mw is ridiculous but it still isn’t the same thing as saying Silva should have gone up to fight a guy he barely overlapped with as champ.

He sabotaged nothing

You are the one complaining for people, including Dana White, critizing GSP for the superfight not taking place.
I'm afraid the insane dude here is the one who pretend to go against the general consensus, while pushing a Jones/Silva analogy under insane levels of hipocrisy/ignorance. So get a grip and stop pretending

The weight differential, unlike in Jones/Silva, wasnt that big between GSP/Silva for Georges to so obstinely refuse the match, EVEN at catchweight.

The other reason that debunk your stupid/dishonest narrative was very well explained in this post:

Okay, I see you're not going to be any more coherent or less abrasive. Good luck with everything.

Okay, I see you're not going to be any more coherent or less abrasive. Good luck with everything.

I did my job. You got educated.

Hope you have some respect for yourself and cut that Jones/Silva analogy, buddy

I did my job. You got educated.

Hope you have some respect for yourself and cut that Jones/Silva analogy, buddy

Some people are just so shitty, it's exhausting being on the same internet. I mean, clearly you either don't know how to have a discussion or you're deliberately trying to push buttons. Both of those possibilities make me wonder how you function in the real world, but if you do legitimately have some type of cognitive problem I don't want want to make fun of it. Anyways, good luck with everything, we probably won't talk again because it is possible to have a discussion with almost everyone else here and I don't want to spend time or effort trying to make sense of the obnoxious outliers who could be damaged just as easily as they could be trolls.

Anderson Silva is the only fighter in MMA history with top 5 wins in 3 weight classes, still holds the majority if the most prestigious UFC records, and is the most accomplished fighter in the history of the sport. To suggest he didn't challenge himself is downright fucking stupid.

Dude, just stop.
Anderson Silva is a former WW champ who actually fought at WW (ROTR tournament) the very same year he became UFC MW champ in 2006.
A guy who weighted-in at 198lbs for a LHW bout with Cormier.
These are facts. What you have is textbook shertard eye tests.

Dissapointing, coming from a guy logged in a MMA forum for a decade, that labels himself as "historian" :eek:

He's 6 ft 2 with a 77 inch wingspan. He ain't called the spider for nothing.

Isn't there a 6 ft 4 fella at 145?

Back