Any body ever dealt with someone with dementia?

On risk of being rude dementia basically turns person into zombie in time.Theres not much you can do except try to take care of them until they pass

Iv dealt with dementia having people 2 times and its never pretty

On risk of being rude dementia basically turns person into zombie in time.Theres not much you can do except try to take care of them until they pass

Iv dealt with dementia having people 2 times and its never pretty

Symptoms​

Dementia symptoms vary depending on the cause. Common symptoms include:

Cognitive changes​

• Memory loss, which is usually noticed by someone else.
  • Problems communicating or finding words.
  • Trouble with visual and spatial abilities, such as getting lost while driving.
  • Problems with reasoning or problem-solving.
  • Trouble performing complex tasks.
  • Trouble with planning and organizing.
  • Poor coordination and control of movements.
  • Confusion and disorientation.

Psychological changes​

• Personality changes.
  • Depression.
  • Anxiety.
  • Agitation.
  • Inappropriate behavior.
  • Being suspicious, known as paranoia.
  • Seeing things that aren't there, known as hallucinations.

my grandma had dementia and we had to put her in a home it was just to dangerous otherwise. luckily she never became mean but she did slowly forget everybody past a certain point. like she recognized me as part of he family but she was always thinking I was one of my uncle when they were young.
it was hard
I wish you luck

my grandma had dementia and we had to put her in a home it was just to dangerous otherwise. luckily she never became mean but she did slowly forget everybody past a certain point. like she recognized me as part of he family but she was always thinking I was one of my uncle when they were young.
it was hard
I wish you luck
maybe it's Alzheimer's

Memory​

Everyone has memory lapses at times, but the memory loss associated with Alzheimer's disease persists and gets worse. Over time, memory loss affects the ability to function at work or at home.

People with Alzheimer's disease may:

• Repeat statements and questions over and over.
  • Forget conversations, appointments or events.
  • Misplace items, often putting them in places that don't make sense.
  • Get lost in places they used to know well.
  • Eventually forget the names of family members and everyday objects.
  • Have trouble finding the right words for objects, expressing thoughts or taking part in conversations.

maybe it's Alzheimer's

Memory​

Everyone has memory lapses at times, but the memory loss associated with Alzheimer's disease persists and gets worse. Over time, memory loss affects the ability to function at work or at home.

People with Alzheimer's disease may:

• Repeat statements and questions over and over.
  • Forget conversations, appointments or events.
  • Misplace items, often putting them in places that don't make sense.
  • Get lost in places they used to know well.
  • Eventually forget the names of family members and everyday objects.
  • Have trouble finding the right words for objects, expressing thoughts or taking part in conversations.
my grandma was different
she had a stroke a couple weeks after my grandfather passed and fell on he concrete hitting her head.
she quickly lost her memory after that

she's been gone for almost 20 years now
rip abuela

Symptoms​

Dementia symptoms vary depending on the cause. Common symptoms include:

Cognitive changes​

• Memory loss, which is usually noticed by someone else.
  • Problems communicating or finding words.
  • Trouble with visual and spatial abilities, such as getting lost while driving.
  • Problems with reasoning or problem-solving.
  • Trouble performing complex tasks.
  • Trouble with planning and organizing.
  • Poor coordination and control of movements.
  • Confusion and disorientation.

Psychological changes​

• Personality changes.
  • Depression.
  • Anxiety.
  • Agitation.
  • Inappropriate behavior.
  • Being suspicious, known as paranoia.
  • Seeing things that aren't there, known as hallucinations.

Im.aware of symptoms

They became evident when grandma forgot who i was and later when she tried to stab grandfather

Yes, grandma went crazy when she developed dementia. The only thing that seemed to help some was taking her outside on walks around a park. Her memory still wasn't good but she was easier, happier to be around after a walk or roll in her case. As I would joke with her, we were going on a walk and roll as i pushed her in her wheel chair.

Yes, grandma went crazy when she developed dementia. The only thing that seemed to help some was taking her outside on walks around a park. Her memory still wasn't good but she was easier, happier to be around after a walk or roll in her case. As I would joke with her, we were going on a walk and roll as i pushed her in her wheel chair.

The Multifaceted Therapeutic Role of N-Acetylcysteine (NAC) in Disorders Characterized by Oxidative Stress​

Being suspicious, known as paranoia........

This can be very difficult to deal with, they become virtual prisoners, they usually end up with only a couple of people they will deal with and they probably don't trust them either.

Dealt with this with my wife’s uncle. He thought his wife was trying to kill him. Would routinely leave the house and just walk until the police took him home.

Eventually he lived with us for like 2 months. He would repeat himself and get stuck in loops. Always forgot where the bathroom was, couple times a night would open our bedroom door thinking it was the bathroom.

My wife had to go with him to fly back to the Philippines so he could be with his kids and it was the worst experience ever. He thought random passenger was trying to attack him at one point.

Feel bad for anyone that has to go through that.

Must be brutal to deal with. My grandparents went peacefully, but my dad is starting to get dementia……. Patience….

You'll have be extremely patient. Don't take it personal if the person spouts crazy shit. Get some outside help if it's possible. Don't get lost in the tornado.

I’m a medical Speech-language pathologist (MS, CCC-SLP).

I treat patients with dementia every day.

Shoot me a PM, and I can answer any questions you may have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back