Any sherdogger ever tried out Aikido?

I tried it out years ago, gave it about a month. I had no prior grappling experience and was into Muay Thai and Boxing at the time. Felt like trying something different. Pretty much everything they were doing would have got your ass kicked. Very "he does this (improbable over head karate chop attack) then you do this elaborate sequence of things and he does a rolling break fall" and "bad guy walks up and grabs your wrist(!?) so you do this series of movements that result in him falling over". I was watching the higher ranks also and didn't see anything that i thought would be an adequate defense against an actual punch in the face.

bearing in mind i only gave it a month so definitely there is a lot more to it than what i saw.

now that i have some bjj and judo experience i would be interested to go to another school and see if there's anything that may be good about it that i didn't see the first time.

Before the onslaught begins, tell me how Systema sucks and nothing useful could come from it either

Check out MMA vs Systema Real Sparring ,
MMA vs Systema 2 Harder Sparring even better
& Ultimate Systema & Combatives Highlights

I have used Aikido in more 'real' situations than anything. I have used kotegaeshi twice and sankyo once off a failed kotegaeshi. They are the two best techniques and work together, when one is resisted, they put themselves in the other. But Aikido is not going to work against a very violent attack. It works against bullying. Someone pushes you, grabs your tie or shirt. It can work off a clinch but Aikido doesn't teach clinching. You could throw a jab and when they protect kotegaeshi really easy. In Jap Jiu Jitsu they teach it off striking...much better!

This is what I always say: "Anything is better than nothing."

Hell, even playing and/or watching video games is better than doing nothing and THEN going to war.

Of course, money is always a factor.

If someone is actually paying trillions of dollars to learn these types of disciplines, then they should contemplate all of the decisions that they've made in their life for a long, LONG time.

This is what I always say: "Anything is better than nothing."

Hell, even playing and/or watching video games is better than doing nothing and THEN going to war.

Of course, money is always a factor.

If someone is actually paying trillions of dollars to learn these types of disciplines, then they should contemplate all of the decisions that they've made in their life for a long, LONG time.

"Anything is better than nothing" is a copout often used about these mcdojo martial arts, and it's not accurate: 1. You can get badly hurt deluding yourself about the effectiveness of an ineffective martial art 2. People in these martial arts often don't even get in good shape despite the time they commit so it's a waste of time physically 3. Students in these martial arts often find themselves exposed to fraudulent senseis with a false sense of grandeur, or at least weak senseis who cannot deliver any of the holistic promises of martial arts they advertise on the window

So yes, you may literally be better off doing nothing than engaging in an activity that is delusional or fraudulent at its core

Last edited:
PSA for Wolfiepoo: posting your systema videos doesn't do systema, you, or us any favors <3

"Anything is better than nothing" is a copout often used about these mcdojo martial arts, and it's not accurate: 1. You can get badly hurt deluding yourself about the effectiveness of an ineffective martial art 2. People in these martial arts often don't even get in good shape despite the time they commit so it's a waste of time physically 3. Students in these martial arts often find themselves exposed to fraudulent senseis with a false sense of grandeur, or at least weak senseis who cannot deliver any of the holistic promises of martial arts they advertise on the window

So yes, you may literally be better off doing nothing than engaging in an activity that is delusional or fraudulent at its core

I would agree with this. Hypothetically, imagine if you had 2 people that were the exact same, with no fighting experience. You randomly assign one of them to do aikido classes for 1.5 hours, 3 times per week. The other instead does a structured exercise program for an equal amount of time, involving cardio and resistance (1.5 hours, 3 times per week). Everything else in their preparation is identical. After 6 months, they have to fight each other. Which one do you think would do win? I would probably put my money on the one that's been getting in better shape. Granted, there are some aikido clubs that would turn out better fighters, but those are few and far between.

On the other hand, if people are doing aikido as more of a fun activity rather than a fighting art, and they have no false pretenses about their own ability, then that's fine. I'm not saying that they shouldn't do aikido for fun, just that they need to be realistic about it.

I think, for any combat/ self defense training regardless of name of the Art ; physical fitness programme must be created and done on daily basis.
For example exercises for flexibility, strength, power etc. Training programme includes also some days per week with harder additional training.

Then also training in combat/ sport art of course.

& There also is written already, what might be useful from this said Art.
-
About discussions what art is better if client wish ASAP develop at least some fighting skills with real ability, I'll say boxing. Basics initially is also cheap to learn and if one has 6 months training 6 hours per week in gym, I think, for defense against untrained dude who isn't larger might ( will )be effective.
Price/ effect/ timeframe to lean basics introduction = boxing.
-

Sandis
I believe decent boxing is the quickest way to locate reasonable training and to get someone fight capable. It works the core essentials of timing, distance and ability to deliver powerful strikes with the entire body on the heavy bag. You can box solo and with partners. Distance management is worked utilizing footwork, while lower leg stability, proprioception and vestibular work is done using a jump rope by most boxers. Mitt work and sparring develops timing allowing integration of range with power.

Wrestling imo holds an edge over boxing due to you generally need people to wrestle, so the live resisting partners is the edge. Though shadowing wrestling is common, it is not as common as shadow boxing by most practitioners.

Aikido as pushed in the later years by o sensei is an add on imo, not a base for a fighting art. Budo and Aiki jujitsu as practiced by some could be. The learning curve is longer but attainable imo given the right training.

What is the right training?
A system that provides repeatable feedback loops of varied resistance. Aikido lacks the varied resistance of the equation.
The way to progress in a system is to make small adjustments and observations using the scientific process. Cataloging adjustments under time, distance and range.
I've seen people capable and competent enough in the techniques to know standing jujitsu is possible. Is it indomitable? No. But nothing is. It is always the end user and their methodology ultimately, not the system.

if you're not practicing against a resisting opponent, you're LARPing. you don't *know* your technique works, you hope.

s shadow boxing
Shadow boxing is used like gymnastics etc because this is something like Kata, but fast and with different scenarios, highly adjustable to needs.
Used as tool to develop speed, coordination, proper stance, combos, also as exercise for muscle memory development, additional tool for cardio training etc.
This doesn't replaces drillings and sparrings, but is doable in any place without gym too.
jump rope by most boxers.
This Is used in KB training too, plus in other Arts that includes striking.

Grappling likes me, also I a bit hybrid guy not only TMA or " modern arts " guy.
There's any Art has some good aspects and so on, but if question is " something for self defense ASAP " then I think ….boxing. More time to learn basics : MT, KB.
Of course to add other arts will be valuable. With ….grappling.

Last edited:
A lot of akido demonstrations have the guy standing completely upright on his tiptoes, almost leaning back, while showing off his technique. That just pisses me off. Not only can you be knocked over with minimal effort, but it also looks incredibly smug. Yeah I hate akido.

Also, I don't know where this myth came from that every martial art is equal and it's just how you train. That's not true. Some martial arts just suck, like lots of things in life.

Of course aren't equal.
This is also reason, why tutelage for serious service applications is with mix of techniques from many arts.
Okey, some is with striking& grappling but choose to mix usually is easier available.

Wrestling doesn't teach defense from striking at all.
Does this means that wrestling isn't effective?
Wrestling IS effective and highly usable but you must add other techniques from other Art/Arts.

In a way, I agree with you.

Even paying $5 A MONTH for these types of "disciplines" might be paying too much money.

Last edited:
Of course aren't equal.
This is also reason, why tutelage for serious service applications is with mix of techniques from many arts.
Okey, some is with striking& grappling but choose to mix usually is easier available.

Wrestling doesn't teach defense from striking at all.
Does this means that wrestling isn't effective?
Wrestling IS effective and highly usable but you must add other techniques from other Art/Arts.

You could easily make the argument that wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai, jiu jitsu, are all equally effective, even if combining them is better than doing just one. Akido isn't equal to any of them though, that was my point. Adding it to your arsenal definitely wouldn't make you better (maybe apart from some of the wrist lock material), and it might actually make you worse.

I believe most TMA's have some redeemable qualities. I think Aikido has good concepts for wristlocks. I actually believe in using a wristlock takedown to counter a collar grip.
I rolled with Roy Harris years back and he did this wrist lock thing on me and pretty much could have fucked me up (He was playing nice as I was a white belt at the time).

I definitely can see the wrist lock stuff working in a self-defence/security type of situation against an untrained person.

Back