Anyone currently doing a [Push|Pull|Legs] split?

Space Engineer**

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Guys,

I've been getting busier with work lately and having to travel each week for a couple days. It's really affecting my old gym split so I've switched to a push pull legs and it seems to be pretty naughty so far.

Anyone else on this split?

If you mean a Full Body program, then yes, I've been running one for the last three months.

The problem with that split is that bench press and squats are done only once a week.

The problem with that split is that bench press and squats are done only once a week.

I must be thinking of a different one, then. I do some form of Squat and Bench three time per week.

I must be thinking of a different one, then. I do some form of Squat and Bench three time per week.

It's split template where pushing exercises are done on one day (i.e. bench, dips etc.), pulling exercises on one day (DL, rows etc.) and leg exercises done on a different day.

If you do it 3 times a week you can squat twice a week. Squat could be thought as a pushing exercise. Then the layout would be; push, rest, pull, rest, legs...

If you do it like 6 times a week (push, pull, legs, rest, repeat) I suggest doing pulling day before pushing because then you have a day in between of deadlifts and squats.

Benching once a week is clearly not enough. 2-4x to get those swole pecs.

Anyways, a push/pull/squat split is one of the most classic splits for a strength training type of template. I do something like this:

Day One;
-Back Squat
-Front squat (assistance)
-box jumps or just nothing

Day Two;
-Bench
-Press
-Dips
-Some tricep work

Day Three;
-Deadlift
-BOR
-Chins/pull downs
-Curls (of course)

My Bench(and Squat for that matter)is so pitiful I need to do some variation of the Lifts at least twice a week to make any progress. And three times is better.

The only Lift I can make progress on training once a week is Deadlifts.

I would only do push/pull/legs if I wanted to train 6 days a week, and even then there are better alternatives.

I'm a bigger fan of upper/lower splits, but I did run some push/pull/legs splits. Depending on your goals, you can do a lot with it, whether you do 3 or 6 days a week. I was a fan of

Monday-Bench, Dips, OH Tri Ext
Tuesday- Bent Over Row, chin ups, Hammer Curls
Wednesday- Back Squats, RDL, Abs
Thursday- OHP, Incline DB Press, Rope Pressdown
Friday- W Pull Ups, Seated Row, BB Curl
Saturday- Deadlift, Front Squat, Abs

This only works if your only goal is to strength train though- it's too intense to really do any skill work, or anything other than minor conditioning with.

Silly. I thought Squat/Pull/press was weighed out years ago as an actual routine? Mix it up.

Some people can make good progress squatting and deadlifting once a week. The Ed Coan routines, for example. You'd have to make each workout (and each rep) really count though. Most people do seem to at least benefit from squatting more often, if not deadlifting, though.

Making progress benching only once a week is even more rare - I'm not saying it's impossible, or that nobody strong has ever done it, but I can't think of any good examples. (Unlike the above examples, the Ed Coan bench routine has you benching twice a week, with another day for overhead and shoulder work).

Why not try push/pull. You just do all your pressing and squat exercises on push day, and you deadlift and all your rows/pull ups on the other day. Rest 1 day in between. Push/pull/legs is ok, but there are better alternatives.

I dig this thread, cause i`m searching for routine that include just 2 day of strength weight training.
What will be better tho, Push/Pull in 2 days or 2x day Full-body workout ?

I've been running a 3 day bench/dead/squat program for a while now with great results. In four months I added 240lbs to my total for a 1440 at 260lbs. I don't see the need to increase frequency at the moment when I'm still getting weekly gains. The only thing I do multiple times a week is pulling movements. I do 50 reps of pulls on bench day and squat day as accessory work. My old powerlifting team only ran a once a week cycle for each lift too with good results. I dont see why increasing frequency would help any more unless you're stalling.

I dont see why increasing frequency would help any more unless you're stalling.

There are lots of reasons outside of progress stalling to do the lifts more than once per week.

Getting stronger is a product of moving the weight the more efficiently too. Increased frequency can be a great help in refining your technique.

The bench press, specifically, can easily be trained more than once per week because you recover from bench workouts more quickly.

Some of the Sheiko programs have you squatting 2x, benching 4x, and deadlifting 2x per week. You just need to be mindful of intensity and recovery.

I've been running a 3 day bench/dead/squat program for a while now with great results. In four months I added 240lbs to my total for a 1440 at 260lbs. I don't see the need to increase frequency at the moment when I'm still getting weekly gains. The only thing I do multiple times a week is pulling movements. I do 50 reps of pulls on bench day and squat day as accessory work. My old powerlifting team only ran a once a week cycle for each lift too with good results. I dont see why increasing frequency would help any more unless you're stalling.
Might be bro science but isnt protein synthesis only happening up to 36 hours after a workout? More frequency=more gains. Also any good program has you doing lifts more than once a week. Except 5 3 1.

I ran an upper lower routine only 3 days per week for ~6 months last year and made good progress (even on weeks where I missed a workout). Hitting each body part multiple times per week seemed to work wonders for me

Back