Are Indian wrestlers legit?

No, definitely both. By far the two biggest skin fairness cream buyers in the world
Lol no in many areas of Pakistan like KPK, Kashmir, Balochistan, Punjab etc people are born with white skin. I won't lie and say say that mentality isn't partially there but us Paki's are not as white skin obessed to the extent as Indians or other colonial countries.

But this is not the appropriate sub forum for these discussuions so I'll end my spiel here.

So India either doesn't have many wrestlers, doesn't have good coaching or doesn't do things the right way? Quite possibly all of those? Considering this, and going back to OP's question, I think it'd be fair to say India doesn't rank very high in terms of ''wrestling legitness''.
I was replying to the assumption that having “20% of the worlds population should automatically mean they can compete with older more established powers”

As far as wrestling “legitimacy” India is solid. They’ve been producing a medalist or so every year to couple years since 08. Pretty much only on men and women’s freestyle. They also produce their own actual athletes. So Indian wrestling fans can be actually proud of their accomplishments.. they also seem to be improving.

There’s an Italian poster who brags about a Italy is “getting better” because they have one world champion who is Cuban.. and lives and trains in the US.

As far as doing things the right way.. that refers to having an entrenched institutional level of training, standards and coaching that is the culmination of the years of success a Russia, Iran, Azerbaijan, or US has. Including the mental side, teams/wrestlers with that institutional memory tend to win a lot of close matches with lesser teams because they know they’re supposed to win because that is what they do. You see from the local hs level to the senior level.

Mate, stop being so reasonable.

China must be terrible athletes - they have so many people, but don't even dominate Australian Rules Football.
Lol yeah. It’s the same reason ‘merica is mediocre at soccer. None of our best best athletes go into the development system for it. It’s 3rd tier at best. With nowhere near the participation level percentage wise of every other country. So while almost all of the top athletic talent of the 4 million in Croatia go into soccer to get the best filtered out. Out of the 4 million in Oregon soccer is the 3rd or 4th sport getting any athletes after football, basketball and baseball.

Yet you’ll get a certain type of American soccer fan who minimizes things like these and like soccer cause “it’s the only game Messi would be world class in”.

It’s actually quite interesting how the martial arts world perceives and understands the athletic world and what level those athletes are really on. And how much being an “athlete” matters after a certain point.and how much most martial artists hate that fact

Yet you’ll get a certain type of American soccer fan who minimizes things like these and like soccer cause “it’s the only game Messi would be world class in”.

It’s actually quite interesting how the martial arts world perceives and understands the athletic world and what level those athletes are really on. And how much being an “athlete” matters after a certain point.and how much most martial artists hate that fact
That's quite an odd argument for them to make??

Messi clearly had balance, pace, agility and an ability to run with a ball extremely quickly while changing direction rapidly that made him the best in a sport full of plenty of good athletes. He was hardly some couch-potato lording it over the football world :)

Gama had some insane diet, just reading that shit and the amount of dairy gives me the runs

Yeah, according to wikipedia he drank 10 liters of milk a day and six pounds of butter among other things. The dude must have had gas for days.

But notably, Gama was a muslim who moved to and lived in Pakistan after it was partitioned from India. I only note this because it appears that he ate meat and this may have been less common among the Hindu population. I'm no expert but I'm told by Indian colleagues that vegetarianism is very common among Hindus, although I suspect that may be due as much to economic circumstances as to religious convictions.

But regardless, India has a large vegetarian population and that surely would be a headwind to success in sports like wrestling, particularly the takedown aspect.

Last edited:
They do decent in wrestling. Inferior to the US, russia and iran though. I dont see them doing well in mma or combat sports in general. I read a recent study where indians had the lowest pain threshold. They lack the aggressiveness and martial spirit.

They do decent in wrestling. Inferior to the US, russia and iran though. I dont see them doing well in mma or combat sports in general. I read a recent study where indians had the lowest pain threshold. They lack the aggressiveness and martial spirit.
First time I'm hearing about measuring pain tolerance among ethnic groups. Seems like a difficult thing to measure but a study here shows African Americans have lower pain tolerance than whites.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11292281/

Found one here showing Indians ranked a bit lower than Chinese in a study on pain tolerance although statistically not significant among men, but Indian females apparently have lower pain tolerance than Chinese females. Females in general have lower pain tolerance than males.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20058568/

Then again this study showed no significant difference in pain threshold between white and Indian females.

https://www.hcplive.com/view/the-role-of-ethnicity-in-pain-tolerance-and-treatment

Don't know how legit any of these studies are or if they can be repeated.

Interesting area of research anyway I wouldn't have expected any significant difference I wonder how much is cultural.

Last edited:
Well, I mean, Japan and Korea are two of the biggest wrestling powerhouses in the history of Olympic wrestling. So that's almost an unfair question. India has a long history with wrestling and is one of the progenitors of freestyle wrestling as we see it today. In the modern era, they haven't had the greatest Olympic success, but a lot of that has to do with economic circumstances and the inability of a lot of wrestlers to get underwritten by the government the same way some countries do for their wrestlers. Sushi Kumar and his family had to work to support his wrestling, even as he was the reigning world champion. And even then, it's going to be a difficult path to getting selected for the national team, not just for wrestling, but based on political reasons as well.

So.... they haven't done much?

Mandatory
View attachment 834800
View attachment 834801

Lets not forget while 5"10 Khabib is hospitalized almost dying to cut to 155Ibs, 5"8 Gama is undefeated at age 50 still whooping much larger 230+ Ibs guys as the openweight World Catch Wrestling champion.

Khabib would be spanked over Gama's knee if they had a chance to compete.

Kabib will follow the traditional of muslims ass raping india and destroy Gama.

Kabib will follow the traditional of muslims ass raping india and destroy Gama.
You mean like how Russians ass rape Dagestanis?

Lol Gama was a muslim also but Khabib is like 3 weight classes lower I don't think he would be do well maybe Cormier would've had a shot though.

You mean like how Russians ass rape Dagestanis?

Lol Gama was a muslim also but Khabib is like 3 weight classes lower I don't think he would be do well maybe Cormier would've had a shot though.

Gama wouldn't dare offend a lighter skinned muslim. He will bow down and then be a good henchman to rape india with kabib

Gama wouldn't dare offend a lighter skinned muslim. He will bow down and then be a good henchman to rape india with kabib
Gama was a Muslim but he was Indian still. During the partition I believe he defended alot of Hindu families that were caught up in the Indo-Pak fighting although he eventually moved to settle in Pakistan.

Also I don't think Muslims have a color bias, Arabs always looked pretty brown to me.

Maybe Khabib would rape you though if you ask him since male on male action seems to be your thing.

Last edited:
That's quite an odd argument for them to make??

Messi clearly had balance, pace, agility and an ability to run with a ball extremely quickly while changing direction rapidly that made him the best in a sport full of plenty of good athletes. He was hardly some couch-potato lording it over the football world :)
There is a certain type of American soccer fan. Usually the type one might call a hipster. Whose reason for liking the beautiful game isn’t just because they like it. They like it because they can act like they are more “sophisticated” and know more than your average American sports fan. How they as “progressive and educated people” appreciate soccer because they aren’t one of the rabble. They are often the ones you hear bleating the nonsense about how because soccer is a game of skill and brains obviously.. that one does not have to be the same caliber of athlete to be elite as in other sports.

They’re also the ones who usually talk about how all America needs to do to get better is be enlightened and sophisticated in their training.

Don’t get me wrong. I like soccer lol. It doesn’t change the fact most American soccer fans are usually in it as much for hipster points more so than as just fans.

There is a certain type of American soccer fan. Usually the type one might call a hipster. Whose reason for liking the beautiful game isn’t just because they like it. They like it because they can act like they are more “sophisticated” and know more than your average American sports fan. How they as “progressive and educated people” appreciate soccer because they aren’t one of the rabble. They are often the ones you hear bleating the nonsense about how because soccer is a game of skill and brains obviously.. that one does not have to be the same caliber of athlete to be elite as in other sports.

They’re also the ones who usually talk about how all America needs to do to get better is be enlightened and sophisticated in their training.

Don’t get me wrong. I like soccer lol. It doesn’t change the fact most American soccer fans are usually in it as much for hipster points more so than as just fans.
Sounds like they're idiots.

Top level football players are running 10km-12km per game with about 15-20 flat out sprints per match over long distances against opponents doing the same all while doing the various skill elements of the game at high speed. In the best leagues in Europe the amount of players who aren't classifiable as high level athletes is pretty much zero i'd imagine. They're deluding themselves if they think these aren't people who'd be standout athletes in plenty of other sports too based on their natural stamina, speed, cardio etc.

Also, for most of the rest of the entire world it is actually the sport that gets first pick of the majority of athletes in any given country so they're talking out their arses!

Sounds like they're idiots.

Top level football players are running 10km-12km per game with about 15-20 flat out sprints per match over long distances against opponents doing the same all while doing the various skill elements of the game at high speed. In the best leagues in Europe the amount of players who aren't classifiable as high level athletes is pretty much zero i'd imagine. They're deluding themselves if they think these aren't people who'd be standout athletes in plenty of other sports too based on their natural stamina, speed, cardio etc.

Also, for most of the rest of the entire world it is actually the sport that gets first pick of the majority of athletes in any given country so they're talking out their arses!
Yeah I’m aware. They’ll usually respond with something about how NBA type athletes don’t do well in soccer. And try to ignore the fact that all the best athletes who would play soccer and get filtered out in say Argentina. Instead grow up being filtered through bb and fb.

I’m just happy we made this thread useful for something that’s the racist bullshit many are saying

Man, this thread became pretty weird and racist.

I would never stereotype race or nationality in isolation, but the macro demographics of the country can't be ignored. India has a GDP per capita around USD 2000. For context, that's lower than every country in the western hemisphere except Haiti and Nicaragua. Countries like China and Mexico are around USD 10K and China has an institutionalized system of state sponsored sport.

When combined with a cultural inclination for vegetarianism among Hindus, I think that points to the pool of potential athletes and wrestlers being smaller than India's huge population would otherwise indicate.

That said, the world class wrestlers India has produced are something to be proud of. I love a good underdog story and it should be noted that those guys likely overcame more obstacles than most.

Last edited:
I would never stereotype race or nationality in isolation, but the macro demographics of the country can't be ignored. India has a GDP per capita around USD 2000. For context, that's lower than every country in the western hemisphere except Haiti and Nicaragua. Countries like China and Mexico are around USD 10K and China has an institutionalized system of state sponsored sport.

When combined with a cultural inclination for vegetarianism among Hindus, I think that points to the pool of potential athletes and wrestlers being smaller than India's huge population would otherwise indicate.

That said, the world class wrestlers India has produced are something to be proud of. I love a good underdog story and it should be noted that those guys likely overcame more obstacles than most.
Well, definitely, I mean, the economic obstacles he had to deal with and the lack of government support are one of the reasons why I'm a fan of Sushi Kumar, other than just the fact that he has exciting matches. I think there are actually a number of Indian wrestlers involved in pelwanhi that might have the right stuff but just might not get discovered or have the necessary financial conditions or backing.

Anyway, there's nothing racist about anything you're saying and there ain't nothing racist about discussing the effects of a certain diet. I was thinking of certain other posts in this thread that got pretty ridiculous in my eyes. Although I was misstating things to say that the ridiculousness was merely owing to racist content; we've also got discussion of male on male rape, for example.

Lol no in many areas of Pakistan like KPK, Kashmir, Balochistan, Punjab etc people are born with white skin. I won't lie and say say that mentality isn't partially there but us Paki's are not as white skin obessed to the extent as Indians or other colonial countries.

But this is not the appropriate sub forum for these discussuions so I'll end my spiel here.
Pakistani on dat white privilage plan ;)

Well, definitely, I mean, the economic obstacles he had to deal with and the lack of government support are one of the reasons why I'm a fan of Sushi Kumar, other than just the fact that he has exciting matches. I think there are actually a number of Indian wrestlers involved in pelwanhi that might have the right stuff but just might not get discovered or have the necessary financial conditions or backing.

The great thing about wrestling is that at least in theory, it requires almost nothing to get into it and practice. And they do have as you mention folk wrestling styles. But yeah they need to put more funds in to it if they want to reach world class level more often. I just wonder what the incentive would be for a country in that economic condition. It would seem like funding sports at a level needed to be highly successful would rank pretty low among other things.

Although I was misstating things to say that the ridiculousness was merely owing to racist content; we've also got discussion of male on male rape, for example.

Although the troll on here began that line, I would say that wrestling in general due to its nature has often had homoerotic undertones, the Greek Olympics wrestling competition and practice was done nude for example.

Secondly, blame Adesanya.

Back