Are there actually any cases of "you can't win in thailand unless you get a KO"?

Kanka

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I'm sure many of you guys have heard this before. I have not really investigated it but my impression is that it's a myth. I've yet to seen a non-thai get blatantly robbed in Thailand in a major stadium or promotion.

When i watch Ramon Dekkers losses for instance, i consider them legit based on my understanding of Muay Thai scoring. When non-thais score better, in my experience they usually get the decision.

Haven't watched a whole bunch of fights though so maybe i've missed a lot of fights, i don't know. But if there is actually no evidence supporting the saying, i'm suspecting some people just hear a rumour and decide it's true.

So does anybody have some examples that were actually blatant robberies?

Last edited:
Several. The top Thais will out class will out class the best of the elite foreigners 70% to 90% of the time depending on the weight class. With odds like that a knock out is the only way many foreigners can win a fight against a good Thai. As far as foreigners getting robbed I’ve never heard anything convincing to support that. Losses aren’t something the Thais are afraid or ashamed of like we in the West tend to be.

not really remember one in MT but I saw it in boxing a lot.
invite unknown foreigners to pad they record and hold title as long as possible

Honestly, I think westerners just don't understand Thai scoring enough to say half the time. The amount of times I still hear people say that the fighter coming forwards wins on Thai scoring, which is just not true - otherwise Ramon Dekkers would have been undefeated in decisions. It's easy to feel like you're being robbed when you don't quite get the scoring.
Hell I've seen fights in Britain where people have claimed the UK guy was robbed against the Thai, and people say 'yeah but punches don't score in muay thai' even though in the UK they DO score. In the West you're fighting full thai rules with kickboxing scoring, but even in the west people seem to think they're fighting Thai scoring, until they get out there for real.

The only obvious one didn't go to the decision, it was Nikiema's fight for the lumpinee belt. Morad Sari had already won the title earlier in the night and they couldn't lose 2 belts (It's the reason I heard from the french side). As Nikiema was dominating Nuengtrakarn the referee stopped the fight during the fourth round saying Nuengtrakarn was paid to lose which made it a no contest. No rematch of course.

I've only heard the fench side of the story so I don't know the details and it might be bias but It looks like it was true imo.

Last edited:
The only obvisous one didn't go to the decision, it was Nikiema's fight for the lumpinee belt. Morad Sari had already won the title earlier in the night and they couldn't lose 2 belts so as Nikiemea was dominating Nuengtrakarn the referee stopped the fight during the fourth round saying Nuengtrakarn was paid to lose which made it a no contest and he kept the belt.

I don't have more details it's a story that's very known in french Muay Thai.

Is the fight on YouTube ? I might be able to put subtitle on it .
Or I could just give the info .

Same happening in Europe in minor promotions. Mother fuckers, especially in the lighters!

The only obvisous one didn't go to the decision, it was Nikiema's fight for the lumpinee belt. Morad Sari had already won the title earlier in the night and they couldn't lose 2 belts (It's the reason I heard from the french side). As Nikiema was dominating Nuengtrakarn the referee stopped the fight during the fourth round saying Nuengtrakarn was paid to lose which made it a no contest. No rematch of course.

I've only heard the fench side of the story so I don't know the details and it might be bias but It looks like it was true imo.

Great example. I though it looked like a foul at first. Similar to this fight below.it was a foul but i think Kanongsuk really took a dive in this fight against Youssef

Kanka
The Yussef fight was definitively a fake .
Later I heard some guy backstage saying "Lom Muay Nai Non" meaning = "He surely fall a fight" or faked .

The vast majority of fights in thailand are scord pretty farely between a thai and foreigner. That whole you can only win in thailand if u get a ko is like a ready made excuse. To fight in a sport and not even know how it is scored is kind of ridiculous but is actually true of some thai fighters. Its like me playing soccer and thinkin i score a goal by kicking the ball over the bar. The fairest foreign country for scoring muay thai is england in my opinion. France no1 then italy then australia can be pretty biased towards hometown fighters but are all getting better. Morrocans always think they win no matter what happens in the fight

Dida getting beaten pretty soundly in thailand

The vast majority of fights in thailand are scord pretty farely between a thai and foreigner. That whole you can only win in thailand if u get a ko is like a ready made excuse. To fight in a sport and not even know how it is scored is kind of ridiculous but is actually true of some thai fighters. Its like me playing soccer and thinkin i score a goal by kicking the ball over the bar. The fairest foreign country for scoring muay thai is england in my opinion. France no1 then italy then australia can be pretty biased towards hometown fighters but are all getting better. Morrocans always think they win no matter what happens in the fight
By 'thai fighters' above i mean foreign thai fighters

I've only ever been to lower level Muay thai fights in Thailand and the judges seem fair.

I've only ever been to lower level Muay thai fights in Thailand and the judges seem fair.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were some robberies in Bangla or whatever stadium in Thailand, but it could just aswell be in favor of a non-thai. If there are robberies, i think it would be more due to people pursuing personal financial gains rather than because of nationalism.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some robberies in Bangla or whatever stadium in Thailand, but it could just aswell be in favor of a non-thai. If there are robberies, i think it would be more due to people pursuing personal financial gains rather than because of nationalism.

This.
Something I routinely here is that Thai's who want to see an entertaining fight prefer farang fighters to Thais. I'd be shocked if there wasn't shady shit going on in places like Bangla, Patong etc. especially areas where tourism is big.

Happens literally 80% of fights in Australia, Hometown boy usually wins lol

This.
Something I routinely here is that Thai's who want to see an entertaining fight prefer farang fighters to Thais. I'd be shocked if there wasn't shady shit going on in places like Bangla, Patong etc. especially areas where tourism is big.
In phuket there is a whole industry of gyms where there main income is farang paying pretty large amounts of money to train. If they organise a fight for them they are more likely to stay longer and spend more money on privates etc. Often the foreigner will want to be able to say they fought and beat a thai in thailand. So they organise a fight against any random thai dude in bangla. Could be a tuk tuk driver who did a bit of muay thai in his youth. These guys often take dives cos the money is not worth it. I don't know whether they are told to or not. After the win the foreigner is also more likely to stay on than if he got outclassed or the shit beaten out of him.

Back