Are/Were You a Fan of the American Version of The Office?

I might have to check it out. I never really loved the original UK version as it's 90% awkwardness. I don't find social awkwardness all that funny when it's done to that degree. A bit can be hilarious but an entire show doing it constantly gets wearing.

Amazing show. Michael Scott was one of the best written characters of any sitcom ever. It fell off a bit when he left but never got bad.

I loved it. They should have called it quits when Michael Scott left. By then the show had run its course.

I really enjoyed the British version too. Ricky Gervais was perfect for that roll. If you haven't seen it, check him out in Extras.

One of the best shows ever. Until Steve Carell left. I wish more shows didn't have the stupid laugh track.

As an Englishman I like both, but would probably give the advantage to the US version on volume alone. As stated above all the side characters in the US version are a lot more flushed out. My favourite being:

Creed-creed-bratton-16100874-512-288.jpg

I loved the original so the US version has never interested me.
I always like Americans saying they love the UK version tho, because over here a lot of people tend to think Americans don't 'get' British humour, which is a ridiculous view to have in my opinion.

As an Englishman I like both, but would probably give the advantage to the US version on volume alone. As stated above all the side characters in the US version are a lot more flushed out. My favourite being:

latest
enhanced-21286-1439150115-1.jpg

I liked the US version of the show. After Michael Scott left, the show really went downhill, and the last season was absolutely abysmal. However, the first few seasons were really good stuff, and the show had some fantastic moments.

I liked it alot up until season 6-7. At that point it basically became a cartoon and everyone except Jim and Pam more or less played the same slapstick part.

Loved it but I think it jumped the shark somewhere in season 6. That should have been the last season IMO.
You also got different version from other countries.
I have to say the funniest boss for me was in the German version that guy was a bit different compared to the Brentmaster and "Michael Scarn", was a real asshole but the supporting cast was shit. Sometimes to the point of being unfunny.

So overall I liked the UK version best followed by the US and last the German one. But they were all great.
I think they also have a french version.

It's a great show, but I have a very low tolerance for cringe humor. I can only watch an episode at a time (and sometimes need breaks) whereas my wife binge watches it. She's probably watched the entire series 5 times.

^

I thought the show was okay overall, but Scott dragged shit down. Really missed the sleaze of Gervais' character (Not that I was a big fan of UK Office either)

Also, for the record

240px-Kelly_Kapoor.jpg

I would
I would too, but I do have the fear that her privates may look like a car wreck.

Watched the pilot and loved it. Continued to watch through the first 3 seasons and lost interest.

I watch reruns. The diversity episode where Michael has people putting derogatory epithets on their foreheads is classic.

I think the main difference between the U.S. and English versions is that they made Michael Scott more likeable because he would have glimpses of being a decent guy that the other characters would respond to, and deep down for the most part the other characters actually liked him, whereas David Brent was more of a schmuck that the other characters despised the whole way through the show. The only time he had a redeeming moment with the rest of the cast is when he gets that laugh at the reunion party. I found David Brent to be a more interesting character in that regard, but Michael is not far behind. I haven't seen the Christmas specials, so I can't comment on them.

Also, the side characters in the U.S. version get more attention and bigger roles, which makes it seem like a fuller show. If I had to say which I like better, I'd say the U.S. version, but English one is still good.

The U.S. show gets weaker after Michael leaves, but it never strays into being a bad show. Like most U.S. television, it went on longer than it probably should.

I liked the show a lot but I thought Jim was a hugemail douche who deserved to get punched in the face.

If you like Dwight check out the movie Super with him and Kevin Bacon, amazing movie.

I liked that show & tried to watch it when I could. I thought it was good until when Pam & Jim got married. My favorite character was Toby and Creed was pretty funny also. It's interesting that he was a guitarist in the Grassroots. I always felt bad for Toby. He seemed like the most decent person on the show.

I thought it was great until Steve C. left the show...it was always very Cringe-worthy.

Back