Artists with a run of 5+ "great" albums

Danzig 1 4/5
Danzig 2: Lucifuge 4/5
Danzig 3: How the gods kill 4/5
Danzig 4: 4p 4/5
Danzig 5: blackacidevil 1/5
Danzig 6: Satan's Child 5/5
Danzig 7: 777 4/5

That's a solid run -blackacidevil of course.

I've actually seen Danzig in concert, btw, lol.

Great thread. I love full albums. Many great ones already mentioned. Here's a few more I love listening to from start to finish.

Bob Dylan

Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde on Blonde
The Basement Tapes
John Wesley Harding

Planet Waves
Blood On The Tracks
Desire
Street Legal
Slow Train Coming

Bob Marley & The Wailers

Burnin'
Natty Dread
Rastaman Vibration
Exodus
Kaya
Survival

New Order

Movement
Power, Corruption & Lies
Low-Life
Brotherhood
Technique

Elvis Costello & The Attractions

My Aim Is True
This Year's Model
Armed Forces
Get Happy!
Trust

Steely Dan

Can't Buy a Thrill
Countdown to Ecstasy
Pretzel Logic
Katy Lied
The Royal Scam
Aja

Rolling Stones

Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile On Main Street
Goats Head Soup

In all honesty I can't think of any, there's plenty of artists with 5 good albums in a row, but whenever I think I'm onto something with great, there's always something to fuck it up.

isis (celestial, oceanic, panopticon, in the absence of truth, wavering radiant)

mogwai (imo, all of them... but their sound changed a lot since their first 2 records, so maybe rock action and onward for a string)

and their new record is great. (obviously, since i just said all of them... but)

lolz @ someone mentioning guns n roses and including lies and spaghetti. like wtf, man.

Converge.

how do you get 5?

i can see petitioning through you fail me...

isis (celestial, oceanic, panopticon, in the absence of truth, wavering radiant)

mogwai (imo, all of them... but their sound changed a lot since their first 2 records, so maybe rock action and onward for a string)

and their new record is great. (obviously, since i just said all of them... but)

lolz @ someone mentioning guns n roses and including lies and spaghetti. like wtf, man.

how do you get 5?

i can see petitioning through you fail me...

You don't rate no heroes?

You don't rate no heroes?

the-critic-it-stinks.gif

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

F♯ A♯ ∞
Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
Yanqui U.X.O.
'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress
Luciferian Towers
G_d's Pee at State's End!

Led zeppelin
I
II
III
IV
House of the Holy
Physical graffiti

Probably the most obvious one, Houses of the Holy having The Crunge(actually very good live but overproduced on record IMHO) and D'yer Maker on it maybe a negative but I think the rest of the album is strong enough to still be "great". Honestly I'd push it as a far as Presense myself, Candy Store Rock and Royal Orleans are a bit fillerish but again the rest of the album is all exellent.

Can with...

Monster Movie
Soundtracks
Tago Mago
Ege Bamyasi
Future Days
Soon Over Babaluma

Between two different "bands" but really the same core artists in Micheal/John Head with Shack/The Strands...

Waterpistol
Magical World of the Strands
HMS Fable
Heres Tom With The Weather...
On The Corner of Miles and Gill

Probably the most obvious one, Houses of the Holy having The Crunge(actually very good live but overproduced on record IMHO) and D'yer Maker on it maybe a negative but I think the rest of the album is strong enough to still be "great". Honestly I'd push it as a far as Presense myself, Candy Store Rock and Royal Orleans are a bit fillerish but again the rest of the album is all exellent.

Can with...

Monster Movie
Soundtracks
Tago Mago
Ege Bamyasi
Future Days
Soon Over Babaluma

Between two different "bands" but really the same core artists in Micheal/John Head with Shack/The Strands...

Waterpistol
Magical World of the Strands
HMS Fable
Heres Tom With The Weather...
On The Corner of Miles and Gill

I thought about Can but I dunno if I'd call Soundtracks or Soon Over Babaluma great. The other four are all elite records though.

I thought about Can but I dunno if I'd call Soundtracks or Soon Over Babaluma great. The other four are all elite records though.

Maybe not AS good as the albums around them but I would say mostly great material, Mother Sky, She Brings the Rain and Don't Turn The Light On Leave Me Alone is about 2/3rds of Soundtracks and really only Splash on Babaluma is a little Can by numbers for me.

I think Damo leaving is maybe played up too much as the reason for their decline when really it was more shifting around from the style of recording extended jams and then piecing them together, Landed by comparison I think feels more like trying to record specific songs.

A lot of people didn't love Album of the Year, but I think all of the Faith No More albums are great.

Introduce Yourself (1987)
The Real Thing (1989)
Angel Dust (1992)
King for a Day... Fool for a Lifetime (1995)
Album of the Year (1997)
Sol Invictus (2015)

Maybe not AS good as the albums around them but I would say mostly great material, Mother Sky, She Brings the Rain and Don't Turn The Light On Leave Me Alone is about 2/3rds of Soundtracks and really only Splash on Babaluma is a little Can by numbers for me.

I think Damo leaving is maybe played up too much as the reason for their decline when really it was more shifting around from the style of recording extended jams and then piecing them together, Landed by comparison I think feels more like trying to record specific songs.

Mother Sky is one of the best tracks they've done for sure. I still think it's very good, I guess it depends how strict you're being with the great moniker. Like I say imo I can't really think of any artist that's done five albums in a row I'd consider great.

Fugazi

Repeater
Steady Diet of Nothing
In on the Kill Taker
Red Medicine
End Hits
The Argument

Back