Ben Askren will break Jake Paul, he will use Pressure and smother him close

Ben askren will grind Paul and get in close and wear him down and make it nasty

people forget no leg kicks, watch some old boxers they were slow and plodding like askren but they used a cross guard to wear guys out as they walked forward, the mover tired out and then the slow plodder would just throw pitty pat punches and wore them out.

Watch this so you can see Askren has power in his punches, also he wont have to worry about a take down

I hope you're not putting money on this fight and saving it to getting the fuck out of California.

Hinderance to his movement due to a hip replacement leaves him a sitting duck in a boxing match with somebody 12 years younger. Ben is not knocking him out. This could be an ugly fight for him. I really hope he's getting paid good.

He didn't get a hip replacement, he got a Birmingham hip surgery, they put a metal cap on the top of the femur bone and clean everything out in the hip. It's much better for still competing and has better range of motion in the hips than a complete replacement.

I love boxing and I am particularly fond of the cross guard style and the fighters who implement it effectively, such as Archie Moore and George Foreman.

I was thrilled to see Yoel Romero adapt cross guard to mma and feel it is a brilliant strategy for him due to his tremendous explosiveness and power but limited cardio, it is a great way for Yoel to conserve energy and keep his power throughout the fight.

I see absolutely nothing to justify Ben being effective with this strategy or any boxing strategy.

I can’t stand Jake Paul. He is the epitome of what I hate about the younger attention seeking “look at me” “I’ll do anything for a ‘like” narcissistic generation.

but this is a boxing match. And Jake has shown boxing skills in boxing matches (however low level they have been) and Ben Askren has shown absolutely atrocious striking.

Ben can have all the Olympic mentality in the world and it won’t make him an effective boxer in 6 weeks.
Glad to see another legit boxing fan who really studies and enjoys the techniques such as Cross Guard, but have faith brother, don't underestimate the power of belief, Ben seems like a smart guy, and I hope he knows about the cross guard or slow plodding pressure fighter swith solid chins who just pummel guys on the ropes and rest their head on the opponents chest, old school grind em out phone both in fighting. Ive seen many fighters break down from this type of pressure, the only downer is its only 8 rounds, if it were a 10 rounder Id see Ben breaking him to his point and Paul going down from exhaustion in round 9.

What are the odds? if Paul is a BIG favorite, I will put a hundo on Funky.
You gotta put that money down when the odds are high, I can see Ben being a huge underdog, but then narrowing by fight night, remember also this will be Askrens professional boxing debut, its not an exhibition or amateur fight, Jake Paul Turned Pro already no head gear.

If Askrens prediction of breaking down Paul by round 7 and having him quit comes true that could be a 50 to 1 bet or higher. A lot f these youtubers will put money down on Jake Paul

I hope you're not putting money on this fight and saving it to getting the fuck out of California.
Brother if the odds are high Ill put my $5 grand on Askren by stoppage, if the odds are like 50 to 1 or even 75 to 1, Ill put it down, then ill have enough money to move outta Cali.

He didn't get a hip replacement, he got a Birmingham hip surgery, they put a metal cap on the top of the femur bone and clean everything out in the hip. It's much better for still competing and has better range of motion in the hips than a complete replacement.
Ben said he moves a lot better now, its crazy how he was competing with a stiff hip and pain and still winning. with a repaired hip he will be a foot faster and able to break down Paul and get in close and just grind him head on chest old school grinding.

You gotta put that money down when the odds are high, I can see Ben being a huge underdog, but then narrowing by fight night, remember also this will be Askrens professional boxing debut, its not an exhibition or amateur fight, Jake Paul Turned Pro already no head gear.

If Askrens prediction of breaking down Paul by round 7 and having him quit comes true that could be a 50 to 1 bet or higher. A lot f these youtubers will put money down on Jake Paul
Bovada has Askren at +195 right now and Paul -250. If you wait you could probably get even better odds with Ben.

Everyone laughs at that Logan fellow but he's not a bad boxer and has some power in his hands. Ben is slow and has no respectable power. Ben is going to look like that little basketball guy that got put out cold. Bisping would have been a better match up to make mma look good. Ha

This shit is set up to benefit Paul. He's the 'star' here.

i get that, but if they warn Askren for every single clinch and he gets DQ'd cuz of that it doesn't really benefit Paul.

Jake Paul has to whip his ass in order to keep his train rolling. anything less than a KO will be overshadowed by how shitty the fight turns out to be.

You still need to know how to box to use that strategy, or any other strategy. Im also not buying Jake Paul gassing, why would he? Hes been training boxing for a while, had a couple of fights, is athletic, has wrestled in high school, so he has a history of training and competing.

People are assuming he's soft, just because he acts like a dork and makes YouTube videos.

How many punches has Ben thrown in his life, if anyone will gas from boxing with bigger gloves, it will be Ben, unless he's in SERIOUS training, all that wrestling endurance doesn't translate to throwing punches

Ben Askren is going to get absolutely mopped. Anyone saying otherwise is a troll or a fool.

Glad to see another legit boxing fan who really studies and enjoys the techniques such as Cross Guard, but have faith brother, don't underestimate the power of belief, Ben seems like a smart guy, and I hope he knows about the cross guard or slow plodding pressure fighter swith solid chins who just pummel guys on the ropes and rest their head on the opponents chest, old school grind em out phone both in fighting. Ive seen many fighters break down from this type of pressure, the only downer is its only 8 rounds, if it were a 10 rounder Id see Ben breaking him to his point and Paul going down from exhaustion in round 9.
Ben has shown a great chin and solid cardio when he is in control of the fight.

Do you know what weight they are fighting at?
Jake Paul fought Nate Robinson at 195 iirc.
If he has to cut a bunch of weight and hasn’t done so in a while (he was a wrestler so he likely has some experience cutting weight and competing) .... maybe he get tired.

I don’t share your outlook that Ben will win, but if there were to be a path to victory for him,I suppose it would be surviving the early rounds and then capitalizing on a gassed opponent.

But in order to beat Jake with a pressure style, Ben would need to be able to keep Jake moving backwards and not get hurt while coming forward to do so.

How will he do that without a crisp jab?
How will Ben earn respect with his punching without power, speed or technique?

Regarding cross guard, the fighters I have seen utilize it effectively already had establish a very solid foundation of the basic. It isn’t a beginner style.

Archie Moore is generally considered the good standard of cross guard fighting. In addition to using the cross guard to block, he had exceptional slips, footwork and head movement, great timing, cardio and unfathomable amounts of experience in the ring.
Foreman was highly effective with cross guard, but he was physically imposing, had devastating power, granite chin.

George used it to “plod forward” like you said, but he did so as generally the bigger stronger harder hitting man. Ben is giving up height, reach, speed and age.

I just don’t see how Ben can win this fight under boxing rules.

people forget no leg kicks, watch some old boxers they were slow and plodding like askren but they used a cross guard to wear guys out as they walked forward, the mover tired out and then the slow plodder would just throw pitty pat punches and wore them out.

Watch this so you can see Askren has power in his punches, also he wont have to worry about a take down

Oh I get it... This was posted in jest.

Punch upchucks

Yeah his striking is horrible. I said he has the worst striking for a high level mma fighter. You dont need to have ko power or even hit hard to win in boxing.
So we agree that he has no power. Can we also agree that he has no skills?

Askren’s only chance may be to make it an ugly, John Ruiz, hugging bear, jab-and-grab, type fight and go the distance...

Hopefully, he gets a ref that doesn’t break them up too quickly when he gets a hold of him.

Askren’s only chance may be to make it an ugly, John Ruiz, hugging bear, jab-and-grab, type fight and go the distance...

Hopefully, he gets a ref that doesn’t break them up too quickly when he gets a hold of him.
John Ruiz is a good example Askren needs to clinch and make it dirty

If anything i'm hoping Ben will have superior cardio and can win the fight in the later rounds.

Back