bjj - what is the first submission you learned, and your favorite "go to" submission

First I learned was an armbar from closed guard - and since then, I learned how bad it is haha.

My go to is probably an armbar, but from side-control/mount. Kimuras are cool too

First submission I tapped someone with was a kimura after hitting a hip bump sweep.
My go-to is the guillotine, though.

The first submission ever learnt was the kimura from guard.

The first submission I hit was a cross collar choke in practice. And ironically even today this is the submission I hit the most in competition.

Go to submission is armbar from any position

First learned was kimura from guard... Never hit one in my life.

I always work to get into a armbar from the top position, but I like to switch it to rear triangle or standard triangle to finish

First submission I ever learned was an omoplata. Set up from closed guard that I still use to this day .

Favourite submission these days is the arm in ezekiel or single arm rear naked (Marcelo style)

The first submission I ever really loved was the Kimura. First one I ever learned to the point where I could apply it on people was the RNC.

Guillotine. I got nicknamed Killatine for a while. Guillotines, toe holds and heel hooks are my go to. They're like grenades, throw enough and you'll catch someone!

Arm bar with kimura grips on side control

First submission I ever learned was a rolling loop choke. Never hit it once in my life.

Arm bar, my favorite is heel hook and the kimura

First submission I ever learned was a rolling loop choke. Never hit it once in my life.
The first submission I was formally taught by someone was certainly the step-over toe hold, at a high school wrestling camp held at Michigan State Unversity. We were basically taught it as a classic "concession hold", i.e., a move that hurts so much it would make someone concede the pin. And along your lines, I basically never used it, at least not in high school. And not for years and years after.

The 1st sub I learned was the rear naked choke.

My go to is the guillotine. I heard Rener Gracie say people treat the guillotine/brabo/anaconda game how they treat sushi: most people either love sushi and eat it a lot or they almost never eat it. There aren't a lot of casual guillotine chokers. But if someone like the guillotine they really like it.

That's definitely me. I've changed how I do it a lot over the years. I was Marcelo Garcia style exclusively for a long time and then I got into the arm-in guillotine. Now I do a lot of arm-in setups and then switch off to finish with the Marceotine. I'm also trying to get the DDS style high-wrist position figured out. It's been a mixed bag so far in terms of results. When I get the position it's tight as hell but sometimes I have a hard time getting it.

First sub I ever learned was RNC. Most successful for a log time was a guillotine. Recently been using the triangle a lot

Armbar from guard. But Triangle choke from guard is my bread and butter, whilst simultaneously threatening armbar and omoplata.

1st: Kimura

Fav: McKenzitine

First submission For me was an Ezekial Choke.

Go To now would be Bread Cutter Chokes.
It's pretty close between the Bread Cutter and Darce Chokes though.

Back