Black SUPERMAN Movie (New Details and the Search for a Director)

So you know why black panther made a killing? It was a decent movie but it made more than what it should have.

Same reason wonderwoman killed it.

Because the marketing of both bullshitted with the narrative that both of those movies were breaking new boundaries in social justice.

So go see wonderwoman! The first ever female super hero movie! And prove to everyone you are not a sexist!

Or

Go see black panther! The first super hero film with an almost entirely black cast and prove you are not racist!

Social justice marketing wins the day! No maga hats allowed though.
I saw Black Panther because he's always been a great character and deserved his own stand alone film.

nah for the hardcore comic book nerds at least its been established for a long time

e7cf00264d659551eebe01f8590c4782.jpg
latest

I find it utterly baffling how upset people get about changing the race of a made up character. I literally can't think of anything I care less about.

I find it utterly baffling how upset people get about changing the race of a made up character. I literally can't think of anything I care less about.

People love these characters.

For some I prefer as little change as possible. This applies when the character has little to no screen appearances, so I like it when the character is faithful to what I grew up with, because it's rare on the big screen.

Characters who have been on film or TV many times, though, I like new imaginings.

People love these characters.

For some I prefer as little change as possible. This applies when the character has little to no screen appearances, so I like it when the character is faithful to what I grew up with, because it's rare on the big screen.

Characters who have been on film or TV many times, though, I like new imaginings.
Maybe that's why I don't care. I never got the appeal of Superman.

They can only make money if people pay to see their movies. If they make bank, they definitely made the right choices.

I think the media has gone right off the rails with identity politics, but at the end of the day, films are only going to get made if people will pay to see them.

I believe studios are influenced by #metoo and girlpower because they may think it's opening new markets for them. If the films make money, they're right, and made the right choices. A lot of times they're wrong, and it changes what movies they choose to make.

If they choose the right actor, the right director and proper writers, I'd love to see a black Superman, so they can count on my dollars. You might not like the choice, and that's your right, but don't think for a second you speak for everyone. You don't. I don't either, but maybe we'll see the market decide.

I desperately hope that Elba is cast as Bond. He's one of my favorite actors these days, and he would be incredible in the role. I wish he had been offered the role a bit younger, but I'll take it now, because he's THAT good.

I agree with most of this. With the exception of the last part. And I really like Elba as well and wish he would get his own property to kick ass in.

What I don't want is for studios to use him as a pawn to placate BLM by perpetuating a lie. You want to wrap a mission impossible like franchise around him? I'm all for that.

Casting him because he's black as a cheap way to piggy back off of media driven identity politics is not my bag. That shit needs to die. And I won't support it with 1 damn dollar.

So your direct comparison to changing the race of one character, is the races of all the characters in another unrelated franchise should be changed?

View attachment 443885

As far as your "how would you guys like it" point goes, changing ethnic characters to white to appeal to a white audience isn't some crazy hypothetical. That's how Hollywood has always worked until now. The only reason it's changing now, is other races have more purchasing power than they used to so now the pandering is going both ways.

This identity politics started with BLM. That was what? 2014? Nothing much has changed otherwise. There is no "advancement in purchasing power" This is a cheap gag to piggy back off of media driven identity politics and anyone who can't see that is a fuckin moron.

I'm fucking glad though that we've moved past the "let's do an all female remake!" bullshit though. I dont know how long this "replace every white lead with a black lead" trend is gonna last though.

My guess is for as long as trump is in office and the left heavy media still feels the need to be outraged by that.

Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up

Ta8Tkaa.jpg

The DC cinematic universe appears to be losing its Man of Steel. Henry Cavill, who has played Superman in three films, is parting ways with Warner Bros., sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. Though neither side is confirming, the British actor, who first donned the blue suit for 2013's Man of Steel, and then starred in 2016's Batman v. Superman and last year's Justice League, is said to be hanging up the red cape.

Warners had been trying to enlist Cavill, who most recently co-starred in Mission: Impossible — Fallout, for a Superman cameo in Shazam!, which stars Zachary Levi and will bow April 5. But contract talks between Cavill's WME reps and Warners broke down, and the door is now closing on other potential Superman appearances.

That's because the studio has shifted its focus to a Supergirl movie, which will be an origin story featuring a teen superheroine. This effectively removes an actor of Cavill's age from the storyline's equation given that Superman, aka Kal-El, would be an infant, according to DC lore.

Furthermore, Warners isn't likely to make a solo Superman film for at least several years, according to another source. "Superman is like James Bond, and after a certain run you have to look at new actors," says a studio source. As such, Cavill will join Ben Affleck, who isn't expected to reprise his role for director Matt Reeves' forthcoming Batman stand-alone film, as a hero on the way out.

A Warners source says the Shazam! deal fell apart because of scheduling conflicts. And that is backed up by the fact that Cavill recently signed on to star in the Netflix series The Witcher. However, another source says that the Witcher commitment came after the Warners impasse, suggesting a change in Warners' strategy.

"There's a recognition that some parts of the previous movies didn't work," says the studio insider. Another source says Warners is trying to hit a "reset" button with the DC universe, steering its ship slowly into another direction.

While Affleck and Cavill are segueing out, others who were seen together onscreen in Justice League are carrying forward. Gal Gadot is returning for Wonder Woman 1984, to hit theaters in November 2019. Jason Momoa headlines a solo Aquaman movie this December. And Ezra Miller remains on board to star in a Flash movie, which is due to shoot in early 2019.

Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara and chairman of Warner Bros. Pictures Group Toby Emmerich are looking to reinvigorate the studio's DC Universe, which is still playing second fiddle to the Marvel Universe in terms of box office and critical acclaim. Just six years ago, when The Dark Knight Rises closed out the Christopher Nolan trilogy, DC was the superhero team with the mojo. But so far, only Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman spinoff has lived up to the promise of the franchise.

What Warners hasn't done is wiped the slate clean in one fell swoop, something that is nigh impossible to do given the years of planning that goes into these films. When asked about the studio Sept. 6 at an investor conference, new WarnerMedia CEO John Stankey said, "Hats off to Kevin and Toby and their team." But he also took a shot at DC. "Some of our franchises, in particular at DC, we all think we can do better."

Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up (Exclusive)

Update: September 12, 2018

Warner Bros. Considering Michael B. Jordan to Play Superman in the Near Future

According to Deadline, the word has been out that Warner Bros. has been mulling a completely different direction with its Superman canon for some time, even considering casting Michael B. Jordan in the role down the road.

c7ECiBg.jpg

Micahel B. Jordan? Really?

This identity politics started with BLM. That was what? 2014? Nothing much has changed otherwise. There is no "advancement in purchasing power" This is a cheap gag to piggy back off of media driven identity politics and anyone who can't see that is a fuckin moron.

I'm fucking glad though that we've moved past the "let's do an all female remake!" bullshit though. I dont know how long this "replace every white lead with a black lead" trend is gonna last though.

My guess is for as long as trump is in office and the left heavy media still feels the need to be outraged by that.

Yeah it's not a bunch of suits looking for new demos so they can make more money. Like Hollywood has ALWAYS done. Somehow it's something to do with Trump or current politics. Because a bunch of corporate suits (also white guys btw) want to make some sweeping political statement. Come on man.

These are business people they can (and have) made a movie starring talking kangaroos if they thought there was money in it.

Maybe that's why I don't care. I never got the appeal of Superman.

I love the epic idea of Superman. The stranger in a strange land, the god who sees himself as human.

There are moments when it feels good to see someone so powerful and altruistic come to the rescue. One of my all time favorite scenes from any superhero movie was in Superman II. The Kryptonian villains are terrorizing the Daily Planet, everyone thinks Superman is gone, all hope is lost, a newspaper boy is in the street selling copy that reads "Superman where are you?" A wind picks up in the street and Williams' epic theme gently crescendos in, louder as the wind blows to a gale, and Superman arrives. I feel like a little kid just writing about it.

Another favorite scene is when Clark saves the bus in Man of Steel. I talk about this one all the time. It's my favorite super scene in recent memory. Perfection.

2empesz.jpg

After nearly a century of whitewashing, why are you so defensive when it goes the other way?

If you insist on tit for tat, we won't get any more white heroes for fifty years.

You're completely right about Cavill, though, they should be building their universe around him, he's fantastic. This has absolutely nothing to do with the race of Superman and everything to do with already having the perfect actor in the role.
Could I ask you a question?

How is it “whitewashing” when the character of Superman is white? Or are you generalizing the whole industry of Hollywood when it comes to putting white/Caucasian actors and actresses into roles that were written originally for say an Asian? Like they did in Dr. Strange with Tilda Swinton?

My opinion, they should have found an Asian actor to play The Ancient One. That’s how it was written in the comics I believe. Saying that, I do believe Swinton has an incredible acting presence that brings a certain emotion with her acting. Tell me she didn’t do an amazing job as that character. However, an iconic character like Superman or Batman should be left alone imo. I mean that Fantastic 4 film that kind of mashed young actors and B. Jordan as Johnny Blaze didnt really work, but the failure of that movie had nothing to do with the race of B. Jordan however I guarantee you the studio lost some audience by that casting. Old school comic book “nerds” did not grow up reading the F4 with a black Johnny Blaze. New kids on the block probably didn’t even know who the character is.

Another question for you. Why does it even need to be changed? Why doesn’t someone or multiple people just start creating different characters of different ethnicities? I believe it’s society that’s forcing these changes.

My humble opinion

We make entertainment for the western culture first with the asian market as an afterthought.

Eitherway your counter doesnt support a need for a black superman.

Asian superman more than any other.

The only reason they feel the need to placate 18 percent of the demographics is absolutely because of identity politics.

If it were not idenetity politics we would be discussing an upcoming movie about “steel”.

But instead we are placating 18 percent of the population because they are fucking bitchy and loud and tend to riot because life isnt fair.
Do you really think making a Steel movie would be a success?

Yeah it's not a bunch of suits looking for new demos so they can make more money. Like Hollywood has ALWAYS done. Somehow it's something to do with Trump or current politics. Because a bunch of corporate suits (also white guys btw) want to make some sweeping political statement. Come on man.

These are business people they can (and have) made a movie starring talking kangaroos if they thought there was money in it.
p31349_v_v8_ae.jpg

I hung in there for too long. It's time to just scrap the DCEU. Jordan is one of my favorite actors but he is too cool to play Supes. Superman has a dorky/boyscout/ultimate do good'er aspect to him. Michael B. Jordan ain't it, chief.

Let's put the shared universe out of it's misery and go back to focusing on DC standalone films.

Absolutely. If played correctly. He could have the same potential as iron man for DC.
Any film done correctly would be a success

I can see why some people wouldn't give a shit about Superblackman and why some would give a shit. Considering how lame Superman is these days, I don't think his skin color being different is an issue. There's much bigger problems with Superman than his skin color.

Any film done correctly would be a success
I don't think we are able truly grasp the obvious like Tiny frequently does.

I mean, honestly, what would we even do with a ton of bricks anyhow?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back