Boxers pad their records and collect paycheques like O Malley does…why isn’t it more common?

Bunch of reasons, many have already been mentioned here. Another thing to consider is that the barrier of entry in the UFC and other high-level MMA promotions is very low. For example, Cody Garbrandt got into the UFC with only five pro fights, and lots of guys come in with similar records. If it were harder to break into the major leagues, I'm sure more MMA fighters would pad their records.

Something else is that there are a lot more ways to lose in MMA, so it's not that easy to just pad your record coming up. A fighter might be really talented with a ton of potential, but he/she could run into an opponent on the come-up who they weren't ready for. Tons of great fighters have losses early in their career for just this reason, and many of the guys they've lost to are people none of us have heard of.

As for O'Malley's case, he's clearly taking these fights to troll the UFC. He's said as much in interviews. It's not gonna last much longer, though; Dana's recent comment suggests that the UFC's patience is wearing thin.

Boxers have more power over their own careers and it is ultimately worse for the sport. Guys don't do it because UFC doesn't let them. Fights outside of UFC pay nothing and are looked at as useless by fans and promotions alike (you come to big promos to prove yourself, smaller fights just show you're proficient).

WMMA champs pad their records all the time too. Look at nunes last few fights (aside from GDR).

Well the thing about that way of thinking is that that's exactly what we the fans have always praised MMA for. If more fighters do that MMA will turn into boxing, which is what we've been fearing for awhile now. Slowly but surely we've been accepting more and more of it.

• In boxing, it's not so much about "padding" someone's record (although that definitely happens). It's about building up a young fighter to get them the necessary experience to actually beat more established fighters.
  • I've always thought MMA should take a page out of boxing's book and build up prospects more slowly. But it would require young fighters to fight more often; fighting 2 times a year, which it seems most guys do, isn't enough. I like the idea of fighting 4 or 5 low-level guys in the first year to gain experience and build hype. Then scale things back as you move up the ladder.
  • "Taking out 8-10 scrubs in between good opponents." You're getting carried away, TS.
  • Dos Caras, Jr. isn't a "regular person," TS. Compared to the regular person, Dos Caras, Jr. was a superhuman. The guy was a mountain of muscle and wrestled on the Mexican National Team.
Boxers do it to build a brand so people want to watch them fight. They don’t have the same platform the ufc affords.

O’Malley can only control this for so long.

The problem is in boxing when they are working their way up like that.. they are fighting very often.. sometimes 10 times a year. In UFC guys are fighting like once every 18 months, everyone has so much time off always and always some reasons as to why they can't fight, way too much time off and not enough fighting

When guys in UFC start fighting 10 times in 1 calendar year (like many who are padding and upcoming in pro boxing do) then we can talk.....

One of the things the UFC tries to push is that being a UFC fighter means something, that means with some rare exceptions that they can't bring complete cans in for people to beat up.

Tbh a lot of the guys who pad their records fail when they hit decent competition anyway.
P4p most annoying AV
<mma3>

Because we don't need a bunch of that bullshit

Nobody wants to work their way up. They just want to go straight to the top. Working your way up is the smarter route to go but its also smarter to start young. My big question is why are there so many MMA fighters starting their fighting careers in their late 20's or early 30's? Did they not know about MMA before?
MMA as a sport isn't something that's common among kids. Most fighters were established in one particular combat sport before moving on to MMA.

Pride is dead. NSAC/USADA rule in its stead. MMA is not boxing.
You cant just take scrub fights if they dont want you to have scrub fights. O malley has options other fighters dont.

I think MMA is more physically taxing than boxing due to the multiple discipline that have to be trained. So, it's harder for guys to fight more than a few times a year especially when they get a little older. I wish they would fight more often, so we'd get more good fight cards. But, as it is, the top guys rarely fight more than 2-3 times a year.

Because its very rare that someone makes good money by only fighting top 15 guys like Sean is. Most guys are looking to break into the top 10/top 5 asap to negotiate a better contract. O’Malley probably already has a pretty juicy contract so hes content just merking these dudes, going viral, improving his brand and online celebrity, while also gradually getting better.

Makes sense, but it also shows that hes not confident in beating the top 3.

It doesn't happen in the UFC because usually the UFC won't allow it.

Its probably the best route for a career. But there is a mindset that if you are in the UFC, you are already a top elite fighter that has done their work outside of the organisation so there shouldnt be anymore padding or easy fights.

O'Malley wants to fight better competition but he wants a raise to do it. He's not fighting lesser competition because he's ducking and trying to pad his record. He's trying to get a pay raise equivalent to the level of competition he's fighting.

Boxers need to do it. They don’t have a stage like the ufc to build their brand in.

Because the UFC will only do it if they think you have star-power.

Sage is a good example, but he couldn't consistently beat mediocre competition so it didn't work out.

I think it's alright to a certain extent. For example, Charles Oliveira.
He was thrown to the wolves early in the UFC and some of those defeats shattered his confidence.

After the Paul Felder loss, he had a significant drop in level of competition. I believe this helped him build up his confidence with each win and let him be more fluid in the octogan.
Eventually being more comfortable with top level competition and becoming champ.

O'Malley is over doing it a bit IMO. I think he should've fought someone like Ricky Simon for this fight instead.
Simon isn't a good fight at all for O'Malley. They would never in a million years let that fight happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back