Can you tell Chinese/Japanese/Korean people apart?

Well I got 5/18 so I obviously suck at this, but I’m not going to beat myself up over it as I don’t think there really are any real differences. My sister-in-law is Korean and my best friend’s wife is Chinese and they both say you can’t tell the difference on appearance.

what makes identity for a group is a shared language or culture, the aesthetic "race" is very minor and can change radically without the group being effectively any different.

Americans have a strong sense of unique identity, and we've been around for a fraction of the time China, Korea and Japan have been here. Though there's clearly a sort of family relationship in those nations and from our perspective, they can seem to be more alike than different.

This.

Having lived and worked all over the world, I've seen many examples of ethnically different people born and raised in a "foreign" culture. Barring a few assholes here and there, if you walk like a duck, talk like a duck and act like a duck, the majority of people will accept you as a duck even if you don't exactly look like a duck.

Last edited:
I got 6 correct.
I was stationed in Korea for a little over 2 years, and have lived in Japan on and off for around 8 years. I figured I'd ace that test. LOL!

In real life clothing, hairstyles, fashion are all variables. That test accounted for that though.

In real life I could tell the difference between Americans and Europeans. Clothing and hairstyles would be easy indicators. Hint: The shoes are a dead give-away. European Men generally have a better shoe game, and clothing style.

Before anybody gets upset by that observation, I'm American.

Well I got 5/18 so I obviously suck at this, but I’m not going to beat myself up over it as I don’t think there really are any real differences. My sister-in-law is Korean and my best friend’s wife is Chinese and they both say you can’t tell the difference on appearance.

You can tell the Chinese by how quickly they snatch money from your hand when you pay for something.
Money is handed differently in Korean and Japan.

5/18 bc they look all the same. Every Region has ethnicities that look a like. South East Asians look all the same. Far East Asians also and Indians, Pakis, Bangladeshis also.

Same with West Africans (Ghana, Nigeria for example), East Africa (Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea etc).

Or Scandinavia or Balkan or West Asia or dunno bruh.

People are heavily mixed, its not about ethnicities, it's about the region.

I got 6 correct.
I was stationed in Korea for a little over 2 years, and have lived in Japan on and off for around 8 years. I figured I'd ace that test. LOL!

In real life clothing, hairstyles, fashion are all variables. That test accounted for that though.

In real life I could tell the difference between Americans and Europeans. Clothing and hairstyles would be easy indicators. Hint: The shoes are a dead give-away. European Men generally have a better shoe game, and clothing style.

Before anybody gets upset by that observation, I'm American.
Having lived in Arabia I could tell the difference between the local Arabs in the UAE and Levantine Arabs like Lebanese and Syrians. There are subtle difference in their features.

I'm of European decent. For awhile I lived with some asian friends. It gave me a laugh once when one of my roommates commented on European people saying, you all look alike to me.

I scored awful on the test.

I got a 6 so no apparently I can't tell them apart.
Me too but it should have been 7. I always thought I could tell them and to be fair, I think most of them are kind of not obvious examples

tenor.png

You can tell the Chinese by how quickly they snatch money from your hand when you pay for something.
Money is handed differently in Korean and Japan.

LMAO this sounds terrible but I know what you're saying. However, I think this is more to do with socio-economics and there being more lower middle class Chinese tourists than Japanese or Korean. My impression is more well to do Chinese nationals don't fit the rude, cheap, pushy stereotype that Chinese tourists have.

Last edited:
Yes, but then again I've lived in Asia for over a decade

I am Chinese and I scored a 6... I failed miserably. LOL.

I’m Chinese. lol I scored 7 and only got the Chinese ones right.

I see stuff online about people bitching about people not being able to tell a person is Chinese or Japanese. Some even go far as to call people racist because of it.

<Fedor23>

I wonder if those same people would call all the Koreans, Vietnamese and Thais, who thought my Korean friend was Chinese, racist. She was livid when a Korean outside a store in a tourist area spoke to her in Chinese lol.

I may or may not have introduced her as my friend from China when our tour group in Vietnam was doing short introductions.

Koreans have shitty haircuts
Chinese speak loud act very rude but not intentionally
Japanese is what's left over

I had 11, but I corrected a few because I misclicked (fucking sensitive touchscreen) or changed my mind, but they didn't register. i had 3 definitely wrong though. The others I corrected I'm not sure about. But I'm guessing I was right about those, so it should have been 15.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back