Elections Canada's Racist Elections

kw7cavk85q701.jpg

You win the Internet today:)

I have no idea.

Here is the list of things you can use..

List of accepted ID to prove your identity and address under Option 2
From a government or government agency
  • band membership card
  • birth certificate
  • Canadian citizenship card or certificate
  • Canadian Forces identity card
  • Canadian passport (accepted only as proof of identity)
  • card issued by an Inuit local authority
  • firearms licence
  • government cheque or cheque stub
  • government statement of benefits
  • health card
  • income tax assessment
  • Indian status card or temporary confirmation of registration
  • library card
  • licence or card issued for fishing, trapping or hunting
  • liquor identity card
  • Métis card
  • old age security card
  • parolee card
  • property tax assessment or evaluation
  • public transportation card
  • social insurance number card
  • vehicle ownership
  • Veterans Affairs health care identification card
From Elections Canada
  • targeted revision form to residents of long-term care facilities
  • voter information card
From an educational institution
  • correspondence issued by a school, college or university
  • student identity card
From a health care facility or organization
  • blood donor card
  • CNIB card
  • hospital card
  • label on a prescription container
  • identity bracelet issued by a hospital or long-term care facility
  • medical clinic card
From a financial institution
  • bank statement
  • credit card
  • credit card statement
  • credit union statement
  • debit card
  • insurance certificate, policy or statement
  • mortgage contract or statement
  • pension plan statement
  • personal cheque
From a private organization
  • employee card
  • residential lease or sub-lease
  • utility bill (e.g.: electricity; water; telecommunications services, including telephone, cable or satellite)
Letters of confirmation
  • letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee
  • letter of confirmation of residence from a First Nations band or reserve or an Inuit local authority
  • letter of confirmation of residence, letter of stay, admission form, or statement of benefits from one of the following designated establishments:
    • student residence
    • seniors’ residence
    • long-term care facility
    • shelter
    • soup kitchen
    • a community-based residential facility

Other pieces of ID may be added. We accept e-statements and e-invoices. Print them or show them on a mobile device.

Im aware of all of that.

Most countries also believe in strong border controls, especially Canada. Yet somehow the Democrat party in the US thinks borders are racist
We dont have strong boarder controls. You can literally walk across fields in places. Like a screen door on a submarine

Well, that sucks. Guess my junior school age daughters and their cat won't be voting in this election.

We dont have strong boarder controls. You can literally walk across fields in places. Like a screen door on a submarine
I should have re-phrased. Obviously since Canada only borders the US their borders with 5 or so
states are loose. What I meant is how hard it is to become a Canadian citizen through ways other than anchor babies…

The shining city on the hill definitely has some 3rd world shithole tendencies. Thinking that voter ID is racist is one of them.
It's never been that requiring ID was a problem, it's when Republicans mandate it then throw up obstacles to obtaining it.

I should have re-phrased. Obviously since Canada only borders the US their borders with 5 or so
states are loose. What I meant is how hard it is to become a Canadian citizen through ways other than anchor babies…

Canada also has a points based system for immigration that prioritizes skill and education. Something that even Trump has praised and said he wants to emulate for America.

Why do all the Canadian posters on here care more about American politics than Canadian politics?

Voting is pretty easy in Canada, as it should be.

Plus the entire system is run by a faceless bureaucracy called Elections Canada.

Why do all the Canadian posters on here care more about American politics than Canadian politics?

Because Canada is like a mouse on the back of an angry elephant, things that happen in America have great effect on Canadians. For example when America elects a populist wall building president Canada all the sudden has trade and migrant issues. Canada's economy is 1/10th the size but still linked in many very important ways. Political trends that play out in America are often exported to Canada and we're seeing some of that this election cycle.

Furthermore, Canadian politics is very stable, relatively speaking there are only small differences in the two major parties, so no matter who ends up in power at a federal level things mostly remain the same. Compared to crazy pendulum swings every 4-8 years in America, one could make the argument the results of an American election have more influence on Canadians.

Voting laws themselves aren't racist.

Just because sensible propositions are put forth by bad people that doesn't mean they should be dismissed.

I understand the "logic" and history behind the idea. Doesn't mean it's not an utterly dumbass idea. People need to get their shit together and move forward, not cut off their nose to spite their face. Legitimacy should be the #1 criteria when assessing elections and allowing any avenue to cast doubt should be avoided.

A racist told me to eat vegetables and exercise. I will do no such thing!!

I'm not as prepared as you to ignore the fact the GOP resisted numerous attempts at voting security legislation and are fixated on this one that specifically hits the black community the hardest.

Just like the prohibition on voting specifically during a time period that has been incredibly popular with the black community for decades. For reasons?

Can't you vote with just a piece of mail here?

Or someone just says "Oh yeah, this is Steve.".

If you don’t have ID, you can still vote if you declare your identity and address in writing and have someone who knows you and who is assigned to your polling station vouch for you.
I had to provide ID 2 hours ago when I voted even though 4 out of the 8 people running the show knew me.

It's racist because the only reason it's happening is the fact they identified that black people are less likely to have ID.

I worked in fraud prevention for a decade. You don't put measures in place unless you're confident they'll prevent fraud (if preventing fraud is your goal). No measurable fraud would be prevented by requiring ID where it isn't already required, this isn't about that.

It's just one of many measures that were created to suppress the vote, like specifically barring voting on Sunday mornings, which is specifically when black congregations go to vote (after church).

All this noise about non-existent fraud is just cover so they can create suppressive voter restriction laws.
Do you honestly believe fraud is going to be prevented by any of the dozens of new laws that were created?

If black people are that much less likely to have ID, you’re saying a large amount of them are driving around without a license?

Oh fuck, most Canadians live to tell other people how to live. Ontarip is the province of boring rules. If Trudeau gets in he's going to ban protesting at hospitals and make it a criminal offense cause there were a couple of recent protests and it's an election.

We have become such a country of pussies it's embarrassing and it is almost all Trudeau's fault. I mean he literally said he prefers the term "peoplekind" in place of the misogynistic "mankind" word. He also recently referred to the pandemic recession as "she-session" and we need a "she-covery" as we know women were the hardest hit by the pandemic. I'm dead serious too. City people in Canada eat this shit up.

If black people are that much less likely to have ID, you’re saying a large amount of them are driving around without a license?

How would I know?

Studies revealed members of the black community (and poor people in general) are less likely to have valid ID.

After the studies came out, the GOP started pushing for identification to vote.

America is weird. Like do you know in super liberal Sweden most parents get school vouchers to send their children anywhere? That would never fly here. I paid like $16,000 out of pocket ea. a year to send my kids to a not very great private school (not like $60,000 Philipps academy or anything) because liberals hate private school here. A lot of things are reversed. We'll never get UHC - ultra conservative Saudi Arabia has UHC.

Last edited:
It's an interesting system. I like that their voter ID system doesn't require you to have an ID.

https://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx?section=id&document=index&lang=e

Option 3: If you don't have ID
You can still vote if you declare your identity and address in writing and have someone who knows you and who is assigned to your polling station vouch for you.

The voucher must be able to prove their identity and address. A person can vouch for only one person (except in long-term care facilities).

The person who vouches for you has to have one, and they have to put their name on the line for you.

Because Canada is like a mouse on the back of an angry elephant, things that happen in America have great effect on Canadians. For example when America elects a populist wall building president Canada all the sudden has trade and migrant issues. Canada's economy is 1/10th the size but still linked in many very important ways. Political trends that play out in America are often exported to Canada and we're seeing some of that this election cycle.

Furthermore, Canadian politics is very stable, relatively speaking there are only small differences in the two major parties, so no matter who ends up in power at a federal level things mostly remain the same. Compared to crazy pendulum swings every 4-8 years in America, one could make the argument the results of an American election have more influence on Canadians.

Center Left - Liberal Party
Center Left - NDP
Center Right - Conservatives

Only 20 minutes? I guess your local government isn't shutting down polling places.

I vote at the local catholic highschool so we should all just blame religion for making it so easy?

I vote at the local catholic highschool so we should all just blame religion for making it so easy?

Unfortunately the Supreme Court gutted an important part of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, allowing states to go back to discriminating against minorities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fullmetalharts
Back