Canelo Alvarez vs Jermell Charlo September 30th PBC Showtime PPV

I think so too. I'm going to pick Canelo but its debatable where Canelo is in his career. Maybe people are a little too hard on him for looking bad against Bivol but he looked bad against Golovkin the 3rd time too. I thought he looked OK against Ryder but not like he did when he fought, say, Saunders.
Charlo has never impressed me much but he's pretty fresh and well rounded.

Ryder hurt him.

Man he had one fight at welterweight and he was damn near a teenager then.
That shit don’t count.

undisputed Vs undisputed only counts if you’re in the next immediate weight class. Two, almost a three, is a travesty. The actual undisputed Vs undisputed should’ve been Crawford Vs Charlo which these idiots ruined.

Dude’s been a SMW for his last 9 fight. Two of them at light heavyweight ffs
Height / reach don’t matter as much as weight and natural size. I mean Dwight Qawi was 5’7 / 70 inch reach which is a little less than Teofimo Lopez for chrissakes. And he fought at heavyweight and cruiserweight with success.

This is a mismatch. Anything short of an annihilation of Charlo is embarrassing for Canelo.
The ginger fuk has a made a habit of these kind of shenanigans. He pulls 140pounders, past their bests old heads, functioning alcoholics, dehydrated bodies etc etc as “showcases”.
He has a few ….very few, legit matchups like Lara and Bivol but those are few and far between.

Man he had one fight at welterweight and he was damn near a teenager then.
That shit don’t count.

undisputed Vs undisputed only counts if you’re in the next immediate weight class. Two, almost a three, is a travesty. The actual undisputed Vs undisputed should’ve been Crawford Vs Charlo which these idiots ruined.

Dude’s been a SMW for his last 9 fight. Two of them at light heavyweight ffs
Height / reach don’t matter as much as weight and natural size. I mean Dwight Qawi was 5’7 / 70 inch reach which is a little less than Teofimo Lopez for chrissakes. And he fought at heavyweight and cruiserweight with success.

This is a mismatch. Anything short of an annihilation of Charlo is embarrassing for Canelo.
The ginger fuk has a made a habit of these kind of shenanigans. He pulls 140pounders, past their bests old heads, functioning alcoholics, dehydrated bodies etc etc as “showcases”.
He has a few ….very few, legit matchups like Lara and Bivol but those are few and far between.
eh.
in previous eras there was no 168, 154 or 140.

this is undisputed vs undisputed

eh.
in previous eras there was no 168, 154 or 140.

this is undisputed vs undisputed
In the previous era, people were a lot smaller and packed closer together.
In that previous era, 180-190 lbs were heavyweight champions.

There’s a massive difference between 168 and 160 (considered the hardest jump along with light heavyweight to Cruiserweight).

And from 154 to 168 ? Fuhgedaboudit.

Canelo definitely peaked around the BJS fight. It was actually the span of one year, where he fought 4 times and has never looked better. From Smith to Plant.

He's only 33, but he's had a long career, and it seems like he's on the slide now. Pacquiao and Floyd were very much prime at 33, and they also had long careers, but everyone ages differently and those two are as elite and special as they come.

You could think it was just Bivol that made Canelo look terrible. Lethargic, and lacking the speed and sharpness of previous fights. That's what I thought at the time, that it was all Bivol + weight, but man he didn't look good in his next two fights either. Even against Ryder who should have been a gimme.

Anyway, not sure how much Canelo has left. If he's still on point he should win comfortably, but I wouldn't be shocked if Charlo won. Especially considering he looked really good in his most recent fight, one of his best performances.

Canelo definitely peaked around the BJS fight. It was actually the span of one year, where he fought 4 times and has never looked better. From Smith to Plant.

He's only 33, but he's had a long career, and it seems like he's on the slide now. Pacquiao and Floyd were very much prime at 33, and they also had long careers, but everyone ages differently and those two are as elite and special as they come.

You could think it was just Bivol that made Canelo look terrible. Lethargic, and lacking the speed and sharpness of previous fights. That's what I thought at the time, that it was all Bivol + weight, but man he didn't look good in his next two fights either. Even against Ryder who should have been a gimme.

Anyway, not sure how much Canelo has left. If he's still on point he should win comfortably, but I wouldn't be shocked if Charlo won. Especially considering he looked really good in his most recent fight, one of his best performances.

I don't know what happened to Canelo, but he's definitely regressed. I don't think it's just a matter of him not being in his physical prime anymore. There's a lot of technical stuff he's abandoned in the last few years. Focuses on throwing with power without setting them up, doesn't use his jab (his jab was impressive even against Floyd), throws one or two shots instead of putting combinations together, etc. Those are all things he can still improve regardless of physical ability. I thought after his loss to Bivol his team would change things up but he seems to be doing the same. Even in footage of him training for Charlo, it's the same. His bag work is uninspiring and he almost looks bored. Maybe his heart isn't in it anymore.

I suspect Charlo is going to tag him a lot as Canelo tries to step in with his hook like he always does. Charlo is going to score a lot as Canelo tries to close the distance. I think Charlo has a good chance here unless it becomes a repeat of the Plant fight where Canelo eventually accumulates enough damage. The biggest problem with Charlo for me is that he doesn't move his head off center when he punches. Canelo can catch him if he counters Charlo's counters. Charlo by UD or Canelo by stoppage in the later rounds. Or the judges screw Charlo over.

I dunno why but I’m feeling charlo for the upset here. I’m worried he’s going to come in nervous but I think he has the attributes to give canelo problems.

I’ll wait until weigh ins before I make a bet but I’m getting those upset vibes big time.

Im getting the feeling of Canelo ripping him apart in about 4 rounds, or a Canelo UD with scores of 116-111 and 117-110 (2x).
I think Charlo gets dropped for sure at some point, for those wondering why the scores look the way they are.

Canelo was shell shocked when Bivol was not only standing, but was fresh heading into the 8th round of their fight. That's the key for Charlo. He needs to bank early and then still be spry enough on his feet by the 8th to move around effectively and stay away from the ropes. If his legs get heavy late in the fight, and he starts inside fighting and getting backed up into the ropes, he's finished.

Gaining the kind of weight required will undoubtedly limit him.

Back