Career fulfillment

Man, I feel this job is a transition to something else, just don't know what. I think I can stay with this job for at least a few more months, the pay is really good but the bonuses may not be as good as I initially thought.

Man, I feel this job is a transition to something else, just don't know what. I think I can stay with this job for at least a few more months, the pay is really good but the bonuses may not be as good as I initially thought.

Almost two months later and you still haven't taken my advice?! Tsk tsk tsk, you really are a Dickweed.

I think I'm at a point in my career where money is getting less of an issue to join or stay in company, I am thinking the next step of my career should be more towards enjoying what I do.

I work in tech and started a new job three months ago. After years of working less than stellar pay, I managed to turn it around during the pandemic. Now, I am able to save and spend more which is great but if anything, it tells me that I need to consider getting a job out of tech, or at least something less corporate.

I kind of feel like the next step should be more of a freelance contractor, where I can take breaks when I want and enjoy long vacations or study a short course if I choose to, but that only solves one part of the problem. I'd like to maybe build a small business with a friend and scale it.

Anyone been where I'm at and how'd you go forward?

I think everyone is at a crossroad. I am looking at a pivot and career change. I want domain independence. I want to acquire as much damn money as I can for quality work and as little time as possible.

If you do a assessment on life expectancy, it's scary AF. I sort of want to do the Dana white test. You want better quality of life. I'm not doing commutes. Remote work is the game now and if not my company, I look elsewhere.

If your workplace fumbled or was tyrannical, find employment, and leave. I think everyone should be a hired gun and a bloody mercenary for the highest wage possible like Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

goodfellas-fuck-you.gif

You got this 1 life to live. I see morons piling onto the highway everyday in rush hour traffic in their financed cars and obnoxious sized house to keep wifey poo happy despite their impending divorce in coming when she's not happy. <Lmaoo>

I agree.your new part time job is freelance and consulting. Also applying for jobs just in case. What if you could work 25% less for 10x more income? More money might not be a solution but more free time. How can you freelance or consult? Lean into that.

Everyoshould be doing their part to unshackel oneself to the ball and chain of the corporate world. Not having to get emails or hear from a Karen about her pronouns or something that is stealing away from the little time you have.

Been applying to new jobs recently and just had my first interview with a potential employer. It's a tech company that services shipping companies.

Seems like a great company but I don't feel connected with the industry at all. How big of an issue you think this is with fulfillment and retention?

I understand where you’re coming from and I’m all about passion projects and betting on myself. I have never been happier than when I’m building a company with close friends and enjoying the fruit of our labor. Entrepreneurship is a freeing and gratifying experience beyond words. Although make sure you are filling a need and be careful entering over saturated markets. Think twice act once. If it pays off though it is a wonderful experience.

As the great Suge Knight said, “they give you a paycheck to keep your ass in check”.

Free yourselves sherbros. Just use proper prior planning.
Exactly, if you are in the System, you are in the system. Even with benefits, still a prostitute.

I'm rather poor and still live in the upper 5% of world population than let me dictate by anyone when and where to show up, when to take free etc.

Been applying to new jobs recently and just had my first interview with a potential employer. It's a tech company that services shipping companies.

Seems like a great company but I don't feel connected with the industry at all. How big of an issue you think this is with fulfillment and retention?
Sounds extremely unfulfilling to me. I work with kids, give art classes and make art myself. I couldn't imagine working in some abstract logistic field for some shippind company that is shipping something.
It's bizzare to me, no offense and best of luck!

Come to think of it, almost none if the industries I've worked for are exactly exciting: utilities, insurance, car sales. The most exciting one is this current fintech one.

I made it a point early on in my FD career that I wanted to make sure it didn't become a job, and that path kept me on the line instead of taking an officers position. I have yet to see an officer that was before or came after me that wasn't frustrated with what doing officer work entailed. Sure I'm not gonna retire with a pension as large as a Chiefs, but it's not gonna be that much smaller than a line Lt.'s. I also have yet to see an officer that didn't wish he was back on the line as a senior private like myself. All I do is drive fire engines and boss younger Lt's around, ( j/k, but only sorta, lol.)

Edit: For full transparency, at 22 years on, my zeal has waned a bit, but that's more due to age and health more than the job itself. I'd be considered "in my window" if I was going at 25. Since I need to stay until 30, I got a few more grin and bear it years.
Agreed. I’m taking an officer position once I there is an opening after I hit my 18 year mark. The money may be better but I don’t want to spend 5-8 years being miserable when I can spend 2-3 and then retire.

I quit my job 5 weeks ago, it isn't as easy to look for new employment considering my current paygrade as it was in the last two years when quiet quitting was in full effect.

Looks like I'm about to be offered a pretty easy WFH job but for my baseline pay level. If I go this route, I'll still have to look for supplementary income to make up for my previous compensation. I'm looking for part-time avenues but I'm a pretty shitty salesman so insurance or real estate are out of the question.

Selling stuff on Amazon (arbitrage) may work out but kind of a world of unknown for me.

I work on fixing old walls that are about to fall down.

I sit on my own in the countryside, smoke a pipe and listen to podcasts or music. Sometimes I just listen to the birds.

I make something that I consider to be beautiful.

I don't charge a great deal, I do it by the hour rather than by the job, it takes how long it takes.

In the summer I wear shorts, in the winter I get some other gigs doing any kind of construction work, but I slow it down and do less hours.

I'm on the fence about a different job for when I'm retirement age (I never want to retire). Currently I can charge about £600 to build 1m² of wall. On my own if I really push it I can do one of those every day or two. I could hire a laborer and do one a day easy but that would be a lot of speeding about.

I prefer doing 1 or 2M² a week on my own, being relaxed and zen about it.

It's weird but people doing seem to go into what I'm doing, the only others I see doing it are grey as fuck. So I'll probably be able to charge what I wa t going forwards. All the rich country houses and estates are made of my type of wall around here.

I charge £100 per wall demolition, DM me..........

You'll never be 100% happy at a job. It's work in order to get resources in order to fund your lifestyle.

I don't look for fulfillment in work; I work so I can do fulfilling things.

Thats a somewhat sad take but the reality for many. Ideally you both find fulfilment in work since thats what you spend the majority/a large part of your time doing, and it also funds your lifestyle outside of work which is equally if not more fulfilling.

I think everyone is at a crossroad. I am looking at a pivot and career change. I want domain independence. I want to acquire as much damn money as I can for quality work and as little time as possible.

If you do a assessment on life expectancy, it's scary AF. I sort of want to do the Dana white test. You want better quality of life. I'm not doing commutes. Remote work is the game now and if not my company, I look elsewhere.

If your workplace fumbled or was tyrannical, find employment, and leave. I think everyone should be a hired gun and a bloody mercenary for the highest wage possible like Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

goodfellas-fuck-you.gif

You got this 1 life to live. I see morons piling onto the highway everyday in rush hour traffic in their financed cars and obnoxious sized house to keep wifey poo happy despite their impending divorce in coming when she's not happy. <Lmaoo>

I agree.your new part time job is freelance and consulting. Also applying for jobs just in case. What if you could work 25% less for 10x more income? More money might not be a solution but more free time. How can you freelance or consult? Lean into that.

Everyoshould be doing their part to unshackel oneself to the ball and chain of the corporate world. Not having to get emails or hear from a Karen about her pronouns or something that is stealing away from the little time you have.
I agree with a lot of this. Just not the part about everyone being a hired gun. That is how wages get depressed. Everyone should be in a union.

If you had one shot, or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
One moment
Would you capture it or just let it slip?

<5>

SO THEY POINT THE FINGER AT ME, SO I POINT ONE BACK AT EM BUT ITS NOT THE INDEX OR PINKY OR DA RING OR DA THUMB ITS THE ONE YOU PUT UP WHEN YOU DONT GIVE A FUCC

Wrong track I know
<{hughesimpress}><36><{cruzshake}>

But dat lyricism
:meow:<{natewhut}>

I quit my job 5 weeks ago, it isn't as easy to look for new employment considering my current paygrade as it was in the last two years when quiet quitting was in full effect.

Looks like I'm about to be offered a pretty easy WFH job but for my baseline pay level. If I go this route, I'll still have to look for supplementary income to make up for my previous compensation. I'm looking for part-time avenues but I'm a pretty shitty salesman so insurance or real estate are out of the question.

Selling stuff on Amazon (arbitrage) may work out but kind of a world of unknown for me.
Just interviewed for a new full time job and I think I screwed up by mentioning that I intend to also freelance on the side because it likely won't pay as much as the WFH (side)job I could get. Combining both gigs would be about equal to the compensation level of the job I quit from last month.

Sounds like a hot mess to me. Hoping it works out for you. WFH was the best thing that happened to me, but independent contracting is stressful as hell at times.

Good luck with your career path, dude.

Back