Career fulfillment

When you're sense of joy comes from what you do, you can never be 100% fulfilled or joyful because life is throwing all sorts of situations at us and we don't choose them all. On the other hand, if no matter what is thrown at you, you do it with an utter sense of abandon, and enthusiasm, it will become such a beautiful experience for you. You would be shocked what you've been missing. Because regardless of what people say they want, they are saying they want that because they think it will be a catalyst to create a great experience for them. Why the hell are you not using everything as catalyst to create a great experience for yourself?! Just use everything, absolutely every situation to create a great experience for yourself.

I think I'm at a point in my career where money is getting less of an issue to join or stay in company, I am thinking the next step of my career should be more towards enjoying what I do.

I work in tech and started a new job three months ago. After years of working less than stellar pay, I managed to turn it around during the pandemic. Now, I am able to save and spend more which is great but if anything, it tells me that I need to consider getting a job out of tech, or at least something less corporate.

I kind of feel like the next step should be more of a freelance contractor, where I can take breaks when I want and enjoy long vacations or study a short course if I choose to, but that only solves one part of the problem. I'd like to maybe build a small business with a friend and scale it.

Anyone been where I'm at and how'd you go forward?

Becoming a Dirty Scumbag Contractor for the win dude. I can't really talk to being in a corporate job though as I've always just contracted my entire 23 year career in tech.

The flexibility to take or turn down whatever work you want, name your own hourly rate and take time off whenever you want are gold.

Becoming a Dirty Scumbag Contractor for the win dude. I can't really talk to being in a corporate job though as I've always just contracted my entire 23 year career in tech.

The flexibility to take or turn down whatever work you want, name your own hourly rate and take time off whenever you want are gold.

You're a contractor in tech?

Are you a dev? What's the usual span of time you're in a gig?

Last edited:
You're a contractor in tech?

Are you a dev? What's the usual span of time you're in a gig?

Network and security design, mainly Defence industry. I've had anything from short term 3 month gigs (seriously, NEVER take these) and 5.5 and 6 year contracts. If you're good, they'll want to keep you around.

Fuck full time positions, give me that hourly rate baby :cool:

Network and security design, mainly Defence industry. I've had anything from short term 3 month gigs (seriously, NEVER take these) and 5.5 and 6 year contracts. If you're good, they'll want to keep you around.

Lol isn't a 5 year contract essentially the same as a regular gig? Do you have to get vacation time pre-approved?

I think I'm at a point in my career where money is getting less of an issue to join or stay in company, I am thinking the next step of my career should be more towards enjoying what I do.

I work in tech and started a new job three months ago. After years of working less than stellar pay, I managed to turn it around during the pandemic. Now, I am able to save and spend more which is great but if anything, it tells me that I need to consider getting a job out of tech, or at least something less corporate.

I kind of feel like the next step should be more of a freelance contractor, where I can take breaks when I want and enjoy long vacations or study a short course if I choose to, but that only solves one part of the problem. I'd like to maybe build a small business with a friend and scale it.

Scale up. Freelance. Pivot when you have a client base.

Anyone been where I'm at and how'd you go forward?

Lots of career changers over the pandemic. Particularly seeing how fragile many industries are or evil ones pushing experimental drugs.

Good on you sir. Make moves.don't look back. Have a aim.

Edit - assuming no wife or kids, you are free to maneuver. You can with a family but it's more complicated and much more high risk. Good luck regardless.

Lol isn't a 5 year contract essentially the same as a regular gig? Do you have to get vacation time pre-approved?

No, I just say that I'm going to Europe for a holiday, I'll be back in six weeks. You don't work, you don't get paid so they typically don't care... as long as there aren't any big project deliverables due.

Idk, there’s nothing I enjoy so much that I want it to be what I do for work. Anything I have to do is ultimately going to end up being something I resent doing in the long run. I came to terms with this a long time ago, so I just do what I do to make a salary.

Got certs? Do cloud stuff?

Now you're giving me ideas. What if I want to see the glorious spinning meat by the light of day?
You can do that while you have that name. You can watch it any time you want regardless of your name on sherdog.

Got certs? Do cloud stuff?

Sorry, I missed this question. Yeah: CCNP, CCDP, some redhat and a couple of old MCSE's from back in the day. I haven't done a cert in a really long time though. They're a way to get your foot in the door when you don't have experience so now that I have plenty of that, I mostly just learn on the job and a bit of learning on the side such as ACI and NSX.

I haven't really touched cloud stuff.

Sorry, I missed this question. Yeah: CCNP, CCDP, some redhat and a couple of old MCSE's from back in the day. I haven't done a cert in a really long time though. They're a way to get your foot in the door when you don't have experience so now that I have plenty of that, I mostly just learn on the job and a bit of learning on the side such as ACI and NSX.

I haven't really touched cloud stuff.
All good, agree experience trumps certs any day.

I'm still at a state where I can't wait to get a new contract or start a new career, just don't know which avenue to take. Been thinking though, I might regret taking another step with a pay cut. Tech jobs pay well and I don't know what other path except maybe being real estate broker that can have an upside in cash.

I tend to lean more towards the "lazy girl" but it tends to make a job-hopper out of people which is not good long-term I think.

Back