International Controversy and Uproar as blonde woman wins Miss Universe Zimbabwe beauty contest

BTW, definitely got an Anya Taylor-Joy look about her.

True, but have to say ATJ bring to the table some extra goods
88baac34d29c20637253f7603e8f703b47576133.gif

er4p4xp7vs591.gif

q0k2xwjoeb2a1.gif

I don’t think straight men were ever the demographic that those shows appealed too. I mean a lot of the winners are surf boards. I think it appeals more to some women but not most, gay dudes, and sexual predators

I think its the same with women getting finger nails or their puffy lips.
Guys dont like it, its for other women to talk about

True, but have to say ATJ bring to the table some extra goods
88baac34d29c20637253f7603e8f703b47576133.gif

er4p4xp7vs591.gif

q0k2xwjoeb2a1.gif

Damn, I don't watch RomComs, but I might be able to talk the missus into watching one...

Emma, apparently...

I was more shocked that there were still white people in Zimbabwe after all the rapey killy expropriation stuff in the 90’s.

maybe they chose her as part of their years long pitch to lure the white farmer back.

“Hey, we chose a white woman as Miss Zimbabwe..so you know we won’t kill you if you come save our agriculture industry and economy”
She probably doesn't live there. It's like how the Jamaican soccer team has some White American girls. They have some connection to the country and since it's easier to model/play for that country they go there.

I don’t think straight men were ever the demographic that those shows appealed too. I mean a lot of the winners are surf boards. I think it appeals more to some women but not most, gay dudes, and sexual predators

I've always seen them more as something for the 'catty' types to watch and slag off/insult the women taking part. I honestly can't imagine any straight man I know sitting down to watch something like that, in the slightest - so who is watching it?

https://www.thezimbabwean.co/2023/0...ooke-bruk-jacksons-win-sparks-mixed-reactions
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ancestors-rolling-graves-white-woman-170937448.html

52d54-16953527939256-1920.jpg

In a dazzling night of beauty and competition [Saturday the 16th of September] Brooke Bruk-Jackson emerged victorious, clinching the title of Miss Universe Zimbabwe 2023 after a 22-year hiatus.

The Hippodrome in Braeside set the stage for this momentous event, but the excitement surrounding her win is marred by a wave of mixed reactions.

Some vocal critics argue that her selection as the winner of Miss Universe Zimbabwe 2023 is tainted by racial bias. A section on social media suggested that she secured the crown because she is white.

These critics contend that a black contestant should have been chosen as the winner, not Brooke.

ef5c0cf173710496dccd29dc030ad465.jpg

Check out some of the reactions:

@chloe_e9431 - The girl who won is not representing the majority of Zimbabwe. See, she is [light] skinned, meanwhile Zimbabweans are black colour of skin.

@haynum263 - Guys how did she win her walk is not even modelling material from the clip you have shown…I guess the chakuti privilege worked for her coz hazviko izvi.

On X one person exclaimed, “All those beautiful melanated women and you telling me the European woman won a contest for black people!!??” Someone else responded, “Extremely tragic and disappointing! I agree with you.”

“So disappointing to see these colonisers representing an African country,” wrote one person. “My ancestors rolling in they graves!!!!” wrote a second user. And a third commented, “This is sad and disgusting y'all literally have to be the face of everything?”

Amidst the controversy, a group of social media users vehemently defended Brooke’s victory.

They argue that her triumph is well-deserved, pointing to her exceptional ability to answer questions and her modelling prowess as reasons for her win.

772a6-16953596854159-1920.jpg

Check out some of the reactions from Miss Universe Zimbabwe 2023 Instagram page:

@ Terry Tashie Maruma - She definitely had what it takes to win that crown..makorokoto Brooke

@Caroline Chadenga - Her answering techniques were good - Beauty with brains!

@kiri_mrsm - Zimbabweans’ reactions are so shameful and distasteful. Brooke IS Zimbabwean period! She only needs the universal language of English to represent us anyway. She is no different from any other contestant and deserves the crown she was bestowed with this morning. Well done Brooke!

@feminine_villian - Brooke deserved to win, she worked hard for that crown and her walk was so graceful. Her answer was powerful, short, and precise. Well deserved. Congrats to her.

More than 90 countries are expected to be represented when the Miss Universe pageant is televised from El Salvador this autumn. Hosts for this year’s competition have not been announced yet.

I think if a 6’5, muscle bound male born dude won the pageant, these crazy people would be cheering on.
<{anton}>

She probably doesn't live there. It's like how the Jamaican soccer team has some White American girls. They have some connection to the country and since it's easier to model/play for that country they go there.

It seems she was born there and lived there until 18 but currently lives in South Africa.

80397733-12999809-image-m-10_1706083386380.jpg

"There have been racial barriers, and it has been challenging to be accepted as Japanese."

That's what a tearful Carolina Shiino said in impeccable Japanese after she was crowned Miss Japan on Monday.

The 26-year-old model, who was born in Ukraine, moved to Japan at the age of five and was raised in Nagoya.

She is the first naturalised Japanese citizen to win the pageant, but her victory has re-ignited a debate on what it means to be Japanese.

While some recognised her victory as a 'sign of the times', others have said she does not look like what a 'Miss Japan' should.

Her win comes nearly 10 years after Ariana Miyamoto became the first bi-racial woman to be crowned Miss Japan in 2015. Back then, with a Japanese mother and African American father, Ms Miyamoto's victory raised questions about whether a person of mixed race should be eligible to win the competition.

Now, the fact Ms Shiino has no Japanese parentage has upset some on social media. [Priyanka Yoshikawa, a half Indian, also won Miss World Japan in 2016].

61942167-angry-japanese-woman-with-thumbs-down-gesture.jpg

"This person who was chosen as Miss Japan is not even a mix with Japanese but 100% pure Ukrainian. Understand she is beautiful, but this is 'Miss Japan'. Where is the Japaneseness?" said a post on X, formerly known as Twitter.

"If she was half [Japanese], sure no problem. But she's ethnically 0% Japanese and wasn't even born in Japan," said another comment.

Others said her win was sending the 'wrong message' to others in the country.

"I think that Japanese people naturally (would) get the wrong message when a European looking person is called the most beautiful Japanese."

Ai Wada, the organiser of the Miss Japan Grand Prix pageant told the BBC that judges had chosen Ms Shiino as the winner with 'full confidence'.

"She speaks and writes in beautiful and polite Japanese," Ms Wada said. "She is more Japanese than we are."

As well as becoming the first person not born in Japan to win the title, Shiino is also the oldest person to ever win the competition.

0d98b7839828687776b9b0c4d7effbe1

80397733-12999809-image-m-10_1706083386380.jpg

"There have been racial barriers, and it has been challenging to be accepted as Japanese."

That's what a tearful Carolina Shiino said in impeccable Japanese after she was crowned Miss Japan on Monday.

The 26-year-old model, who was born in Ukraine, moved to Japan at the age of five and was raised in Nagoya.

She is the first naturalised Japanese citizen to win the pageant, but her victory has re-ignited a debate on what it means to be Japanese.

While some recognised her victory as a 'sign of the times', others have said she does not look like what a 'Miss Japan' should.

Her win comes nearly 10 years after Ariana Miyamoto became the first bi-racial woman to be crowned Miss Japan in 2015. Back then, with a Japanese mother and African American father, Ms Miyamoto's victory raised questions about whether a person of mixed race should be eligible to win the competition.

Now, the fact Ms Shiino has no Japanese parentage has upset some on social media. [Priyanka Yoshikawa, a half Indian, also won Miss World Japan in 2016].

61942167-angry-japanese-woman-with-thumbs-down-gesture.jpg

"This person who was chosen as Miss Japan is not even a mix with Japanese but 100% pure Ukrainian. Understand she is beautiful, but this is 'Miss Japan'. Where is the Japaneseness?" said a post on X, formerly known as Twitter.

"If she was half [Japanese], sure no problem. But she's ethnically 0% Japanese and wasn't even born in Japan," said another comment.

Others said her win was sending the 'wrong message' to others in the country.

"I think that Japanese people naturally (would) get the wrong message when a European looking person is called the most beautiful Japanese."

Ai Wada, the organiser of the Miss Japan Grand Prix pageant told the BBC that judges had chosen Ms Shiino as the winner with 'full confidence'.

"She speaks and writes in beautiful and polite Japanese," Ms Wada said. "She is more Japanese than we are."

As well as becoming the first person not born in Japan to win the title, Shiino is also the oldest person to ever win the competition.

0d98b7839828687776b9b0c4d7effbe1

- I dont know why. But i laughed!

Honestly.. kinda blows my mind that these pageants still happen even

Yeah, in this day and age it's hard to imagine women competing against each other based on how attractive they are.

sarcasm

Back