International Coronavirus Breaking News, v13: Over 21,000 Healthcare Workers From Around The U.S Heading To N.Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Sydney several precautionary measures have also been introduced, including closing aquatic and fitness centres and placing restricted hours on libraries and community centres.

In Sydney several precautionary measures have also been introduced, including closing aquatic and fitness centres and placing restricted hours on libraries and community centres.

lol @ anyone using the libraries in sydney

better off installing hand sanitizer at the VLTs

No, you literally just had to order some testing technologies that were already available internationally. Korea had a testing capacity of 1 million per week @ under $20 per test just 1 week after their first detected case. Then all you had to do was provide free doctor's visits, free tests, test EVERYONE including people that just come in contact with people who were infected, and contain the spread. Then the number of people infected would have stopped growing without even needing the extra hospital capacity, let alone a military style mass mobilization.

For some reason we didn't buy any testing technologies that were already available though.. and, MONTHS LATER, people who have flu like symptoms and stuff still can't get tested.. networks of people who came in contact with infected people still aren't being tested..

Good point. I don't remember all of the specifics of the testing fiasco (CDC failures, bad tests, when it was evident we should go to plan B); doing that one thing right would have made everything else a lot easier. But, if I understand correctly, there was always a very good chance this was going to impact us hard, and our healthcare system wasn't/isn't adequate in terms of personnel, training, protective equipment, or hospital space, nor are our EMS or other first responders equipped to do their jobs safely in such a contagious environment. We had time to put a huge responsive apparatus into movement, but we didn't. With our healthcare system, it would have also required slashing through a lot of red tape, and quickly. So, given where we started, I would still say it would have required a massive effort at the federal level, even had we acted sooner.

iu

iu

iu

We've gone full mask before, we can do it again. Even strapping napkins over your mouth and nose is better than nothing.

Times and mentalities have changed my friend. There are too many selfish people in the west now. I'll let you know the response I get when I go back to work tomorrow masked and gloved up. I think I know what it's going to be.............
<Dany07>

Can anyone recommend a good emergency radio? Now that factories are shutting are down everywhere, there will be a big electronics shortage in a few months, and if my phone and PC, both of which are already running on borrowed time, break, I won't have any access to news.

Overall, the CDC estimates that 12,000 and 61,000 deaths annually since 2010 can be blamed on the flu. Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year.Feb 11, 2020

I think were overreacting...

Maybe we're overreacting, but the problem is this. Covid-19 has the potential to kill millions, not thousands, which will put the flu in the dust. That's the problem bud. We can do nothing and hope for the best and say look, now we aren't overreacting, but it might cost us millions of deaths.

Overall, the CDC estimates that 12,000 and 61,000 deaths annually since 2010 can be blamed on the flu. Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year.Feb 11, 2020

I think were overreacting...
And opinions can be wrong

Daily Dutch update:
- 346 new cases, bringing the total to 2051 (485 HCW);
- 15 new fatalities, bringing the total to 58 (aged 63-95);
- total of 408 hospitalisations.
https://www.rivm.nl/nieuws/actuele-informatie-over-coronavirus
That curve doesn't seem to be flattening any time soon.
Made a little graph, and holy fuck, not looking good. I know, we're only three days since the stricter measures have been put into place, and we're still testing practically no one, but still. Djeez. Lockdown in 3, 2, 1...
90497531_10156950543146024_3015786998569893888_o.jpg

Maybe we're overreacting, but the problem is this. Covid-19 has the potential to kill millions, not thousands, which will put the flu in the dust. That's the problem bud. We can do nothing and hope for the best and say look, now we aren't overreacting, but it might cost us millions of deaths.

Whats the economic and misery cost of all of this overreacting bud?

Times and mentalities have changed my friend. There are too many selfish people in the west now. I'll let you know the response I get when I go back to work tomorrow masked and gloved up. I think I know what it's going to be.............
<Dany07>
I can't help imagining you in the whole 1918 getup, sorry! How's the kiddo today?

Can anyone recommend a good emergency radio? Now that factories are shutting are down everywhere, there will be a big electronics shortage in a few months, and if my phone and PC, both of which are already running on borrowed time, break, I won't have any access to news.
Which ever one you get, make sure it has both a hand crank, and a solar option, and one that has a USB-outlet to charge your phone...

Read the hypothesis from a prominent German virologist that it probably depends on whether you deeply inhale the virus (= pneumonia) or not (= sore throat, mild symptoms).

I'm not in charge, but I would assume a modern plague killing millions would be something we need to try to avoid at all costs. The human cost, at least to me, exceeds the economic cost.

Read the hypothesis from a prominent German virologist that it probably depends on whether you deeply inhale the virus (= pneumonia) or not (= sore throat, mild symptoms).
Could you link to source, please? We can use translate.

This has been the Catch-22 all along. It would have taken a military-style response and mobilization to have tests ready, test widely, prepare healthcare workers and first responders, have protective gear, medical equipment, and expanded hospital capacity (including ICU) ready. We could have shut down flights from China and torpedoed all cruise ships a long time ago, and taken other measures as we learned more and this thing kept spreading, but we didn't.

I'm of a better-late-than-never mindset about most of the above; the virus is going to hit different areas in waves and maybe we can still do better for some. (Caveat—I see no sign that the federal government is capable of taking necessary steps in terms of testing/readiness/hospital capacity. The tone has definitely changed from just-the-flu, but I don't know how to interpret that. It would hardly be surprising to see under-reaction morph into military over-reaction overnight.)

That's the worst case scenario: a military response against the populace rather than the virus. In NY, you're in the middle of it more than most of us; wondering what you're seeing, specifically, that has you convinced this is the trajectory we're on—or if maybe you're just six moves ahead.

We have a very fine line to walk brother. One wrong move in either direction could be disastrous. These are unprecedented times and I think the best thing to do is stay as informed as possible, be willing to accept some things that most of us feel is overreach but push back when necessary.

Even if the death tolls aren't extremely high, 20% need hospitalized. More people than our hospitals can handle. That will result in other non Corona infected people dying because there is nobody or equipment available to help them. Gotta look at the big picture bro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back