Craig Jones Will Face Gabi Garcia. Update: apparently just a troll job

As far as the strength gap, I think it's hard to say. Sometimes men who don't lift as much as women are still significantly stronger on a "functional" level. I've seen this in "normal" guys who handily beat female bodybuilders in arm-wrestling, for example. I think it might be a tendon strength differential and perhaps a matter of grips in those cases. Clearly, Jones has pretty high functional strength, though I don't know if it's greater than Garcia's.

It's sort of a silly match, but I think it's kinda fun. Freakshow matches like this can generate press and bring eyes to grappling, just like they brought eyes to MMA and to K-1 back in the day.
They had Gabi grappling with mma fighters on tuf and she was rag dolling 200+ roided out dudes. She seems stronger then she looks. The skill gap is so ridiculously big it won't matter whatsoever.

Lol @ Craig saying he’s 5’6” and making himself look tiny in that pic. That poster gets more hilarious the more I look at it

I just want a woman who looks at me the way Gabi looks at Craig <3
iu

As far as the strength gap, I think it's hard to say. Sometimes men who don't lift as much as women are still significantly stronger on a "functional" level. I've seen this in "normal" guys who handily beat female bodybuilders in arm-wrestling, for example. I think it might be a tendon strength differential and perhaps a matter of grips in those cases

Well, arm wrestling is a matter of technique and positioning too, it's not a very good indicator of strenght.
I know you are probably going to say that those men didn't train in arm wrestling either, but you should consider that most men have more experience than women in arm wrestling since it's common for men to do it for fun with friends growing up and stuff like that.

Also untrained men tend to instinctively have better "technique" than untrained women when it comes to using their strenght effectively in physical stuff like that (just like the way untrained men usually punch, while horrible, is still better than the way untrained women usually punch).

The technical difference is too big, not some gender strength gap. If Gabi had Craigs skill she would be the favourite.
I don't think Gabi would be the favorite with Craig's skills - there are more male advantages at work than pure strength - speed, reaction time, cardio etc

Gabi is definitely strong though - I'll bet she is stronger than Craig overall

I dont know about that. She is strong as fuck. Most guys her weight (ultra heavy land whales) don't have any significant skill either.

Are you serious? Lol most random blue belts have problems with bigger blue belts who don't fall for their tricks. Garcia has a black belt and is roided to the gills. She would eat their lunch

I think you are exaggerating, I think most male blue belts would get crushed by her, especially if they are hobbyst.
She is bigger and stronger than most men and you don't receive a BJJ black belt if you have not at least decent technical skills on the ground, altough it's easy to forget it since we are used to see her bulldoze through her female opponents with sheer power.

But yeah, Craig Jones is going to submit her without breaking a sweat.

What's this, a mod trolling? Ok you got me...come on dude, Gabi is far bigger, stronger, and better technically than an average male blue belt. At the top end of the spectrum where you have high level competitors sure a male blue belt will beat her; but certainly not an average one.

On the topic of this match through, yeah of course Craig Jones will win, the gulf between male and female is far too big for one of the best male grapplers in the world to lose.

No trolling here! I disagree with you guys... Hespectfully, of course. This is f12, after all.

I am firmly on the side of the ‘dudes can kick the shit out of chicks’ camp, and — without meaning to sound mean, just honest — I’m also in the ‘Gabi is not very skilled’ camp, though that’s not something I go around advertising nor making a point of trying to convince others of.

I’m open minded though, and I admire the courage she shows to take on such an insane challenge as Craig Jones — and I also fully admit this probably won’t prove much in the way of my assertions, as even a high level male blackbelt losing to Craig is no shame on his abilities.

Either way, I am looking forward to it, should be fun, even if I do think it is silly for a handful of reasons.

They had Gabi grappling with mma fighters on tuf and she was rag dolling 200+ roided out dudes. She seems stronger then she looks. The skill gap is so ridiculously big it won't matter whatsoever.
She choked out Wanderlei when they rolled on TUF, for whatever that's worth, however hard or easy they were going.

Well, arm wrestling is a matter of technique and positioning too, it's not a very good indicator of strenght.
I know you are probably going to say that those men didn't train in arm wrestling either, but you should consider that most men have more experience than women in arm wrestling since it's common for men to do it for fun with friends growing up and stuff like that.

Also untrained men tend to instinctively have better "technique" than untrained women when it comes to using their strenght effectively in physical stuff like that (just like the way untrained men usually punch, while horrible, is still better than the way untrained women usually punch).
It's an interesting question, about the difference in strength between men and women. As someone who has been using the still rings since high school, one thing I've noticed is that no women I've been able to find, even strong ones who can perform muscle-ups, tons of pull-ups, etc., have been able to perform an iron cross or a legitimate planche. I also had the experience of watching a female friend--who can squat over 300 pounds and has won multiple bench competitions--fail to bend a basic power twister, which was something like 30 kg and which most men, even those who can't come close to lifting what she does, can bend at least a few times (I think). To me, tendon strength might be the common denominator in all the aforementioned phenomena.

But, I don't really know, I workout a lot but I'm no expert on anatomy or that sorta thing. And often people seem to use the term "tendon" strength whenever they are trying to refer to a sort of strength that doesn't seem to be fully captured in weight training. Just some observations.

I've also had experiences, though, where women shocked me with their strength. The friend who couldn't bend a power-twister got annoyed with me when she asked me to push down her legs to give her resistance on a core exercise and I basically found myself unable to move her legs enough to give her the workout she wanted. Basically, her legs were insanely strong. I was actually getting a workout in MY core by pushing down on her legs. And I'm a strong guy, myself. I can think of another instance, where I was doing a drill where we were dragging our training partner off of a punching bag while they tried to hold onto it and ground and pound it. My partner was a female MMA fighter named Aurelia Cisneros and for whatever reason, I straight-up could not pull her off the bag. I don't know if she had her legs locked around the bag or something, but I couldn't dislodge her at all, it was nuts. And I was generally thought of as the strongest guy at that particular gym.

So, my general experience is that men, especially physically mature men, generally seem to have a certain underlying strength that goes beyond what women are going to have. But I have definitely experienced what I presume are outliers as well, where women have definitely shocked me with their strength.

i got 20 bucks on Garcia to win via “feeding the baby”

This should be fun. I see nothing wrong with this. It's BJJ, nobodies going to get hurt.

Anyone know what time this thing starts ?

I think a lot of people are underestimating just how juiced Gabi is. Yes Jones is (a lot) better technically but it's at her home gym and the if the rules are a little relaxed (or ignored) could see her slamming him or fighting dirty.

Either way should be entertaining.

It's an interesting question, about the difference in strength between men and women. As someone who has been using the still rings since high school, one thing I've noticed is that no women I've been able to find, even strong ones who can perform muscle-ups, tons of pull-ups, etc., have been able to perform an iron cross or a legitimate planche. I also had the experience of watching a female friend--who can squat over 300 pounds and has won multiple bench competitions--fail to bend a basic power twister, which was something like 30 kg and which most men, even those who can't come close to lifting what she does, can bend at least a few times (I think). To me, tendon strength might be the common denominator in all the aforementioned phenomena.

But, I don't really know, I workout a lot but I'm no expert on anatomy or that sorta thing. And often people seem to use the term "tendon" strength whenever they are trying to refer to a sort of strength that doesn't seem to be fully captured in weight training. Just some observations.

I've also had experiences, though, where women shocked me with their strength. The friend who couldn't bend a power-twister got annoyed with me when she asked me to push down her legs to give her resistance on a core exercise and I basically found myself unable to move her legs enough to give her the workout she wanted. Basically, her legs were insanely strong. I was actually getting a workout in MY core by pushing down on her legs. And I'm a strong guy, myself. I can think of another instance, where I was doing a drill where we were dragging our training partner off of a punching bag while they tried to hold onto it and ground and pound it. My partner was a female MMA fighter named Aurelia Cisneros and for whatever reason, I straight-up could not pull her off the bag. I don't know if she had her legs locked around the bag or something, but I couldn't dislodge her at all, it was nuts. And I was generally thought of as the strongest guy at that particular gym.

So, my general experience is that men, especially physically mature men, generally seem to have a certain underlying strength that goes beyond what women are going to have. But I have definitely experienced what I presume are outliers as well, where women have definitely shocked me with their strength.

If I remember correctly woman have relatively strong lower body strength compared to men - roughly 60-70% on average (ie untrained women vs untrained men). But that for upper body strength it was much lower at around 30%, and for specific areas like triceps and overhead strength as low as 20% or even less.
Which from experience makes sense as a lot of women in the gym can squat/DL relatively impressive weights but are awful on things like presses and even push ups. Plus punching power for women is woeful - men can hit way harder than women.

"even with roughly uniform levels of fitness, the males' average power during a punching motion was 162% greater than females', with the least-powerful man still stronger than the most powerful woman"

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...th roughly uniform,with time and with purpose.

Does gabi have a chance here?​
Not really.

Gaby just lost to a much smaller chick. She had also lost to Dern in the past. If Dern and the other chick can overcome that size/strength disadvantage, so can Craig and much more easily.

Whatever happens , I just love Jones easy going and self depreciating humor. Guy can strangle 99% of the people in this world within seconds yet isn't full of himself like Gordon or Galvao or basically the majority of the other BJJ elites

Back