Cuban Boxing Fundamentals

I learned this by studying one of the best running coaches in the World. Guy named Colm McKinley (sp) who was the main Coach in the grade school in Iten, Kenya. Basically the dude churned out Gold Medalists. He said their main conditioning focus is core strength. Everything else is secondary. But if the core weakens and fatigues too much during a run then their form and stability goes to shit. The head lolls around, arms flail, legs straighten too much. Then I realized that's exactly what happens to boxers over long periods of time in a fight.

so deep core work, eh ? Transverse muscles etc ?
and of course, the six pack for the masses.

Hearns was known for his core work btw. ES always said that was his main ocus with hearns....on account of him being so skinny.

so deep core work, eh ? Transverse muscles etc ?
and of course, the six pack for the masses.

Hearns was known for his core work btw. ES always said that was his main ocus with hearns....on account of him being so skinny.

I dont think they understood core work for stabilization. They did ab work

Does she come in a mail order ?

Nope.
But I can give you the address of the gym so that you come here and try to pick her up personally, Western boya :) :) :).

Last edited:

What about rotational work in your view ? More for attacking purposes ?

Stabilization....i think stabilization in movement too, no ?
Stabilization during rotational exercises ? important ?

just riffing here but maybe a stiff armed walking forward (or any direction) exercise for the first..........dumbell / MB rotational while deep stance (boxing or horse) for the second ?

What about rotational work in your view ? More for attacking purposes ?

Stabilization....i think stabilization in movement too, no ?
Stabilization during rotational exercises ? important ?

just riffing here but maybe a stiff armed walking forward (or any direction) exercise for the first..........dumbell / MB rotational while deep stance (boxing or horse) for the second ?

I definitely do rotational work with the hips engaged. If you look closely at my YouTube channel and the conditioning highlights, you can spot quite a bit of it. Even a bit of me doing some.

I definitely do rotational work with the hips engaged. If you look closely at my YouTube channel and the conditioning highlights, you can spot quite a bit of it. Even a bit of me doing some.

Got any good results from it ? Like the stabilization work made a difference for hi level boxers with weaker (relatively speaking) cores ?

@Dexter, I did this exercise a lot at the gym today and man the difference it made immediately. I felt way more balance in my punches.

Got any good results from it ? Like the stabilization work made a difference for hi level boxers with weaker (relatively speaking) cores ?

Very quick difference. It's not something easy to spot but as the rounds go on they just dont crumble. Two of my novices are fighting this weekend and next weekend. My welterweight and my heavyweight. They each sparred 7 rounds yesterday (normally we dont do that many but if they're possibly fighting two weekends in a row, I need to know they can handle the stress) working mostly technique, and the sparring partners were almost all higher level than they are. The opponents not trained by me wilted. My fighters did not. One of the opponents is going to the Olympics, National Champ of Haiti...and he does his ab work, he can take body shots. But he doesnt do real core work, so his stance deconstructs over time.

@Dexter, I did this exercise a lot at the gym today and man the difference it made immediately. I felt way more balance in my punches.

Be VERY careful with this exercise, bro, there is a risk of spinal injury.

Very quick difference. It's not something easy to spot but as the rounds go on they just dont crumble. Two of my novices are fighting this weekend and next weekend. My welterweight and my heavyweight. They each sparred 7 rounds yesterday (normally we dont do that many but if they're possibly fighting two weekends in a row, I need to know they can handle the stress) working mostly technique, and the sparring partners were almost all higher level than they are. The opponents not trained by me wilted. My fighters did not. One of the opponents is going to the Olympics, National Champ of Haiti...and he does his ab work, he can take body shots. But he doesnt do real core work, so his stance deconstructs over time.

any special recommendations of your excercises / videos ?
I'll give it a try and feedback you.

Be VERY careful with this exercise, bro, there is a risk of spinal injury.

I went for a 10kg barbell, with slow movement, not planning on upping the weight at all. Are there any other safety steps I should take?

any special recommendations of your excercises / videos ?
I'll give it a try and feedback you.

Well, I try to inform without spoon-feeding, so I dont end up giving away what people pay for. But the key words are core stabilization. Base where you look on that and you're going the right way

Man, it took me a long time to realize ab work was godawful for your spine and didn't actually have any benefit other exercices don't already provide. There's literally no reason not to keep your lower spine straight no matter what you do. Wish I'd knew that when I was in my 20s.

Colleagues, I have a couple of questions :):
1. We have a very widespread rumor about the following approach to training future professionals in US boxing - when a new student comes to the gym with the desire to fight as professional, he is taught the very basics in the shortest possible time, and as soon as possible put up for hard free sparring, to determine how suitable his character is. Therefore, if a person has no eggs, then no one will spend time on him?
2. I noticed that many fighters exhale through the mouth during a punch. And it looks like a common tradition in training fighters in US, Thai, etc. But isn't open mouth quite dangerous in case of a counter strike, as it was, for example, in the Ortiz-Lopez bout?

@Sinister
Here is a training session of one of our boxers/coaches who trained in US. Can you please tell me what the exercise is performed at 5:34, when he jumps around 180 degrees, and then the same jump - back? For what purpose?

2 all

Some S&C exrecises:

1991, amateurs training:

1914, Russia Championship:

Last edited:
That jumping exercise looks borrowed from the Peek-a-boo system. There are a lot of quick jumping turns with both feet in that system. Not sure why he has them turn all the way around, though.

1. We have a very widespread rumor about the following approach to training future professionals in US boxing - when a new student comes to the gym with the desire to fight as professional, he is taught the very basics in the shortest possible time, and as soon as possible put up for hard free sparring, to determine how suitable his character is. Therefore, if a person has no eggs, then no one will spend time on him?
2. I noticed that many fighters exhale through the mouth during a punch. And it looks like a common tradition in training fighters in US, Thai, etc. But isn't open mouth quite dangerous in case of a counter strike, as it was, for example, in the Ortiz-Lopez bout?

Yeah exhalation on the strike is how I was taught

There is important, you deliver one strike or combo, because then exalation is different; not fully exale during first strike in combo.
That's TMA type stuff.
Usually is taught, that exalation should be done trough nose and / or even additionally use openings between teeths but not open mouth. There's nuance that old fashioned tutelage was intended for usage without mouth guard.

Not rarerly that if intent is strike & immediately grab and throw, then athlete might choose not fully exale during blow. Then full exalation is done during execution of the throw.

Opening the mouth used to be a sin in western boxing as well, not sure why they do it so much these days. It's a pet hate of mine.

Back