Cyril Gane turned down Aspinall for UFC Manchester in July... and his own fans are getting irritated.

lerobshow

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
So this came out a few days ago in a French media outlet (@Cedricdoumbefanclub on FB).

Cyril Gane claims that they offered him a fight against Aspinall for the UFC Manchester card in July, but he can't make it to the fight because 'he's in the process of shooting a movie and this is bad timing.'

Let's just say that even his own fans are starting to lose patience with him. The movie itself will be directed by Franck Gastambide, who is known for constantly putting out absolutely awful movies (his most popular was Taxi 5, from the 'Taxi' franchise), and it was by far the worst movie of the saga.

So, in other words, Gane has turned down a shot at the title because he has to film a B-rank movie. Many people in France are criticizing him for that, mentioning the fact that he doesn't really take his career seriously and that this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for him, yet he still chose to turn it down.

Some of these comments look like this (from his own French fans):

'It's good, Gane is over at the UFC... The guy loses all credibility... What about his entourage, seriously? He has the potential to be at the top, and he screws up everything... Hoping that his film does not put us to sleep as quickly as Jon Jones did.'

'He's completely burning out... However, I really like this fighter, but if he wants to be champion, he needs to rethink his priorities...'

'He could be the heavyweight champion of the most prestigious MMA organization in the world, but no, he prefers to make films with Gastambide, the worst French director known to date.'

With Gane out of the picture, who do you think Aspinall will fight in July?

The Taxi movies were fucking fun as fuck. I probably saw Taxi 5 too, but can't really remember much about it which is probably telling enough.

And yeah, Gane doesn't seem to take his MMA career that seriously. Dude doesn't seem to take much that seriously, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But if you have fans who want to root for you and your career, it's ehh.. disappointing to them obviously.

Last edited:
If true then yes, I can understand. I'd be frustrated too.

Maybe he fights Sergei Pavlovich?
Source is Cedric Doumbe, who is an French MMA fighter fighting in PFL. Haven't seen the video of it though -- will try to find it.

The Taxi movies were fucking fun as fuck. I probably saw Taxi 5 too, but can't really remember much about it which is probably telling enough.

And yeah, Gane doesn't seem to take his MMA career that seriously. Dude doesn't seem to take much that seriously, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But if you have fans who want to root for you and your career, it's ehh.. dissapiinting to them obviously.
Absolutely... it kinda sucks because on paper at least this fight has the potential to be an exciting one. Two of the most athletics guys that the heavyweight division has seen for a WHILE (last one I can remember is Matt Mitrione)

Their is no way Gane is this fucking ignorant right?!? Lol

And yeah, Gane doesn't seem to take his MMA career that seriously. Dude doesn't seem to take much that seriously, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But if you have fans who want to root for you and your career, it's ehh.. disappointing to them obviously.
I have not seen any of them... might have to look into it. hmmmmmm

i can completely understand it from gane’s perspective. as a marquee fighter, his time as a celebrity is very limited, especially given that he likely cannot become champion. the moment he loses to aspinall, any potential buzz around him as a contender instantly fades away. nobody will be interested in him as an actor after that… unless perhaps he already has some acting credits under his belt. if he’s already been in a few movies, made some connections, then he will have an easier time getting the next gig. this is exactly what marky mark did with “the substitute” (a tv movie) when his music career started to fade. it was a brilliant move, and it paid off.

but for fight fans, it’s annoying because we still have to pretend gane is a title contender. some people have the illusion that he can hold the belt. he knows he can’t, and so he’s making arrangements for life after mma.

I truly believe Gane could have been an all time great if he worked harder on his grappling. Seems like he just doesn't want it that bad, so why should we the fans care? He's developing that Derrick Lewis attitude.

Frustrating news. Really want to see that fight.

I don't blame Cyril though, I think he's doing the smart thing by preparing for what's to come after he's done fighting. Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

Back