Media Daniel Cormier: "I love what Jones is doing" in trying to duck Aspinall

I like Aspinall but I feel like there aren't many real fans. Aspinall was not mentioned when Jon debuted in HW. He was pretty much wrote off. The flavor around that time was Pavlovich. A lot of supporter for Jon's opponents are just people who don't like Jon. We don't hear any peep about Pavlovich being a champion anymore. It's a damn shame too because he is a decent HW too.

He ain't ducking fam lmfaoolll Tommy boy ain't even hit 50k on di Power Kube how's he supposed to get excited aboot dat fight fam real talks 🗣️ 📠 🚫 🖨️

Part of me feels like he's just saying that to avoid looking like a sore loser since pretty much EVERYONE except Jones fanboys think Jones is ducking. So instead of joining the pile on, he's taking the high road. I'm completely speculating though.

I like Aspinall but I feel like there aren't many real fans. Aspinall was not mentioned when Jon debuted in HW. He was pretty much wrote off. The flavor around that time was Pavlovich. A lot of supporter for Jon's opponents are just people who don't like Jon. We don't hear any peep about Pavlovich being a champion anymore. It's a damn shame too because he is a decent HW too.
Pavlovic was on a win streak. Aspinall was out with injury at the time.

Eventually Aspinall beat pavlovic so he’s the man now.

When Jones fought Gane in March 2023, Aspinall wasn't active in the division. That's why.

He was still recovering from a torn MCL and wouldn't even return until that July.

And yeah a lot of people jumped on the bandwagon when he starched Pavlovich, but a bunch of us like myself and @Poirierfan have been saying Tom is THE guy at HW for a long time.

It's already obvious that the UFC is "staging certain fights that fit better for Jon." That's the whole reason people are universally calling for the Aspinall fight, and it hasn't stopped the UFC from moving forward with the Stipe fight.

You guys don't seem to realize that the UFC can do whatever it wants. They're already passing up legitimate contenders (and an interim title holder) for a retired 42-year-old who got flatlined in his last fight and hasn't won in 4 years. They could just as easily pass by Aspinall again after the Stipe fight. Just like they did with Bisping fighting 46-year-old Hendo and then a retired welterweight while guys like Yoel, Whittaker, and Jacare were the rightful contenders.

Could Jones-Aspinall happen after Stipe? Sure. But it's certainly not a guarantee. At this point, I think the more likely scenario is that Jones retires. But if Alex goes in and starches Ankalaev (or whomever he fights next), I wouldn't be shocked if he skipped Aspinall. Again, the UFC can do whatever it wants.

Aspinall's clearest way to a title fight is to make himself as marketable and hyped as possible, i.e., becoming the "money fight." And the best way he could do that is to impressively defend his title multiple times before the Jones-Stipe fight ever happens.

The Stipe fight I can understand and at the least make sense of. As much as Tom deserves it more and it's the fight to make, I can justify the Stipe fight. But Perreria over Tom would just be insane.

The Stipe fight I can understand and at the least make sense of. As much as Tom deserves it more and it's the fight to make, I can justify the Stipe fight. But Perreria over Tom would just be insane.

Yeah even though Stipe arguably doesn't deserve it, at least the fight with Jones & him was originally lined up before Aspinall got the interim belt. So it makes sense from the UFC's perspective not to "punish" Stipe for Jones injury by not giving him the fight now. But yeah Pereira somehow leapfrogging Aspinall (if he can successfully defend the interim belt) would be pretty hard for them to defend.

Yeah even though Stipe arguably doesn't deserve it, at least the fight with Jones & him was originally lined up before Aspinall got the interim belt. So it makes sense from the UFC's perspective not to "punish" Stipe for Jones injury by not giving him the fight now. But yeah Pereira somehow leapfrogging Aspinall (if he can successfully defend the interim belt) would be pretty hard for them to defend.

No doubt. And tbh, Stipe vs Jones is a fight I really wanna see no matter how old Stipe is. It's a rare fight between two divisional goats. I wanna see it just to see it.

I have a feeling once Tom beats whomever, likely Blaydes in July things will heat up for the HW unification. And I genuinely believe that Jon wants to fight Tom, he's just building the fight. Jon knows he's not fighting Tom next so he's just playing games in the media to build it. Likely knowing he's gonna have to fight Tom eventually after Stipe.

He loves what jones is doing because it's what he did twice. Once when he decided Gus didn't deserve the LHW title shot and when he said stipe is acting "entitlted" Even though stipe had just broken the HW title defense record..... He opts to fight Derrick Lewis. Why did he do these 2 things? because of exactly what jones is talking about getting the "right" match up. What was gus next fight? title fight. Stipes next fight? title fight. They both clearly deserved it most.

No doubt. And tbh, Stipe vs Jones is a fight I really wanna see no matter how old Stipe is. It's a rare fight between two divisional goats. I wanna see it just to see it.

I appreciate that you admit that. Most people try to explain why it's merited lol

Last edited:
Which is rich considering Fatso tried to duck the entire HW division for a Brock fight that never happened
Which is rich to bring up considering that on top of being HW champion he was also reigning and defending LW champion and sucessfully defended both belts at the same time.

Isn't it obvious Jones will never fight Aspinall, just like he was never going to fight Ngannou.

Has nothing to do with flavors of the month you maybe missed actual fights happened. Blaydes broke Tom's leg so nobody cared to see him fight Jon. Then Pav ko Blaydes and people were excited about him fighting Jones. Tom has now ko Pav so everyone wants him to fight Jones not the guy who suffered a ko loss.

That's a nice subtle diss, DC style. Half of the people won't get it probably.

all the hype on Pavlovich was only from people who see him KO people and start saying "he has 1 shot KO power! he's the White Ngannou!" which tells me and anyone else who has 2 eyes and a working brain that these people are casuals/idiots/bots. that was literally ALL of his hype, that he's some 1 shot KO artist just like Ngannou except he pretty much never KO's anyone with a single punch and most guys don't even get knocked out. he's the exact opposite of Ngannou, he wins by volume. they also totally dismiss the Overeem fight where he got completely destroyed everywhere. their defense to this? "Khabib said he is good at wrestling"... even though he never once had to display grappling since then and people wanted him to fight Jon Jones? lol, he would've Gane'd Pavlovich too.

my point here is, just because a bunch of idiots jump up and down and rave on about someone shouldn't really hold any weight. he was never what they said he was. as far as Aspinall not getting any hype until now? well yeah, now he's a champion. of course people want to see the interim champion fight the champion, that's the whole point of having an interim title.

How exactly can you justify Stipe getting a title fight? He's retired with a full-time job, will be 42, got flatlined in his last fight, and hasn't won a fight in 4 years.

I would say that Alex getting a shot makes MUCH more sense than Stipe. He's not retired, he's a current champion, he actually won his last fight, and would be attempting to make history as a 3-division champion.

That being said, Aspinall-Jones is actually the only justifiable fight.

Back