DC Believes Fedor Was 'Average At Best' In 2009

Fedor definitely loses to 2009 pre-diverticulitis Brock.

I don't know how tactical that was, to be honest, he just over-whelmed Sylvia with speed and power. I suppose you could argue that he took advantage of Sylvia being a slow starter, but that's about it.

What's Cain's best win in that time span to say otherwise?
wait - are you suggesting fedor would be favorite and likely to beat cain in that time frame? you know who he beat in those years as well as how he continued to fight in 2012 and 2013.

No, I like DC, and I do believe Fedor is a bit overrated. But claiming Fedor would struggle against Kongo of all people should remove any credibility DC has as an analyst.
Why not? If I told you Cro Cop would struggle against Kongo one year removed from winning the openweight GP and two years from losing a competitive fight against Fedor. You would think I am crazy too?

In 2009? maybe.

Fedor peaked in 2004-2007. Everything from 2007-2010 was just gravy.

I think you guys are taking average as meaning average across the MMA landscape at HW. DC means average in the UFC which in his mind at HW is like ranking him 8 to 5 or so. Most people don't even talk about the HW's outside of the top 5 or 7. Maybe average was a bad word to use overall.

I think his assessment isn't that far off in reality when talking about moving forward from 2009 Fedor. Look what happen to Fedor shortly after that timeframe he is talking about. Beat by Werdum, beat by Big Foot, and beat by Henderson. Henderson wasn't going to be beating the top UFC HW's, Big Foot surely wasn't either when he came to the UFC shortly after that he went 3-7-1 in his UFC run, and Werdum he is solid and proved that many times in his career. I think Fedor in the UFC say late 2009 to 2012 probably would've had him going like 3-3, 2-4, 4-2 at best but something in that neighborhood which would result in him being ranked in top 10 but probably not top 5 over that time period. Overall average top 10 HW. But far above average in the MMA world overall.

DC was a lot closer to 'average at best' throughout his career than fedor.

In fact I'd say prime fedor beats prime DC almost 10/10 times.

DC lost to Stipe and Jones. Probably the best HW we've seen since Fedor and the overall GOAT, PED's nonwithstanding.

He's pretty far from average as a LHW/HW champion in this day and age.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/10...verage-at-best-had-he-come-to-the-ufc-in-2009

“Versus Brock Lesnar, I’ll give you that. I think he beats Brock Lesnar. But outside of that, I don’t think Fedor competes very well in the UFC. I think that, honestly, Fedor not going to the UFC allowed for the intrigue to stay, but the reality of the situation is he would not have done well against those guys like JDS (Junior dos Santos), he wasn’t beating Cain Velasquez, he would have struggled with guys like Cheick Kongo. He was not beating those guys that were at the top of the UFC at that time. I’m certain of it.

“I know you’re gonna say, ‘ Well he beat this guy, he beat (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira and he beat Frank Mir.’ For as great as he is, he would have been, at that time in the sport, average at best. I’m telling you. Fedor Emelianenko in the UFC between 2009-11, average at best.”

Do you agree?

DC's greatest accomplishment is being second best in his time period at LHW and HW. DC didn't have the sub or stand up threat to beat Prime Fedor. He was a smaller HW and would Fedor would have been the faster more technical fighter outside of wrestling even in DC's prime. His best performance involved eye poking Stipe and probably beating Rumble or Gustaffson. Maybe the Josh Barnett win, but that sure as hell hasn't aged well.

DC will be remembered as pretty damn good, but not quite the best. Fedor had amassed a record of 31-1 before DC even fought mma...

Just facts.

Fedor was clobbered by a 40 year old Dan Henderson who was a MW for that fight and eliminated in the first round of the Strikeforce HW Grand Prix.

DC is giving him too much credit saying he would have been average, he would have done abysmally in the UFC.

henderson-rocking-fedor.jpg

Fedor would have beaten Cain and JDS in 2009.

Just facts.

Fedor was clobbered by a 40 year old Dan Henderson who was a MW for that fight and eliminated in the first round of the Strikeforce HW Grand Prix.

DC is giving him too much credit saying he would have been average, he would have done abysmally in the UFC.

View attachment 886140
So 1 fight dictates how you’d do?
MMA math doesn’t work.

Mostly anyone sitting 185+ can knock out anyone at any weight with the right shot

So 1 fight dictates how you’d do?
MMA math doesn’t work.

Mostly anyone sitting 185+ can knock out anyone at any weight with the right shot

No it illustrates where his skills were relative to the time.

He subsequently lost to much bigger fighters who moved in the UFC after getting knocked out by Dan.

DC's greatest accomplishment is being second best in his time period at LHW and HW. DC didn't have the sub or stand up threat to beat Prime Fedor. He was a smaller HW and would Fedor would have been the faster more technical fighter outside of wrestling even in DC's prime. His best performance involved eye poking Stipe and probably beating Rumble or Gustaffson. Maybe the Josh Barnett win, but that sure as hell hasn't aged well.

DC will be remembered as pretty damn good, but not quite the best. Fedor had amassed a record of 31-1 before DC even fought mma...
why hasn't the barnett (or bigfoot) win(s) aged well?

Fedor, for whatever reason, seemed to lose his edge after the CroCop fight.

I think that was the moment when he felt like he had reached the top of the sport, and it was only going to go downhill after that.

He was still beating guys, but he was getting increasingly sloppy, relying on brawling to get quick wins. You never truly saw the tactical, well-rounded Fedor after that fight.
<Fedor23>

Of course DC is right about Fedor Emelianenko in the UFC between 2009-11. I mean from 2010-2011 , Fedor literally fought and got finished by 3 UFC guys - Werdum, Antonio Silva and a 40 year old MW Dan Henderson.

So yeah, DC isn't even saying anything hypothetical, he's basically just state the facts of the fight results from that time frame.

Now 2008, Fedor might have a hypothetical case at least.

Company shill DC needs to gently close his pie hole.

229_Jon_Jones_vs_Daniel_Cormier.0.0.jpg

DC is wrong......Fedor may or may not have been the champ, but he would have been at the top. Fedor knows how to plant a bomb on the chin of his opponents & from 2009-2011 the UFC heavyweights were slow. It would have been lights out for most of them, just like in Pride!

But then, we are just talking hypotheticals, none of us would never know how Fedor could have done against UFC HWs from 2009-2011!

Oh wait, my bad, Fedor literally fought 3 UFC guys during that period.

upload_2021-10-22_11-22-33.png

Back