DC Believes Fedor Was 'Average At Best' In 2009

Funny that he brings up Mir lmao. That's one of the biggest feathers in DC's cap. Mir, Roy Nelson, Volk, Derrick Lewis and 1-2 against Stipe. But yea, it's Fedor who is the overrated HW here. To think that Fedor couldn't have enjoyed the same or greater success at HW in the UFC that Cormier did is laughable. Both are put on a pedestal, but Fedor is far more worthy of the praise imo.

DC beat Mir when Mir was ranked #5 and 1 fight removed from fighting for the HW belt.

Fedor meanwhile beat Mir 5 years later when he was unranked, on a 2 fight losing streak, and coming off of a 2 year PED suspension. And Mir still nearly KO'd him in 10 seconds.

It's beyond laughable to pretend they were at all similar situations. I agree DC is overrating his Mir win himself as Mir was past it even back then, but he was obviously a way, way better fighter at the time DC beat him than when Fedor did and it's silly to pretend otherwise.

People have a hard time realizing that their favorite fighter or someone who is held in high regard is potentially average towards the tail end of their prime.

Not only that, but everyone is focusing on the year 2009 only, when the quote from DC clearly says 2009-11. What did Fedor look like during those years? He went 4-7 and lost 3 straight within that time as well. That's...pretty average.

I tend to agree with DC. I think Fedor struggles against Cain and JDS, and already lost to Silva within that timeframe, who was also doing slightly above average in that era. Not coming to the UFC was the best thing Fedor did.

DC would be smashed like all the rest of the US wrestlers verse the Sambo Russian champions

Fedor, Khabib, Islam > all US wrestlers

Prime DC gets humiliated by Fedor.

Fedor ground game > DC ground game

DC is a UFC company man of course he would underrate Fedor drastically. Fedor would have KOed Cain in 2009 even being past his prime his striking was still better than Cain's and I don't think he would have wanted to go to the ground with him either due to his submission game.

Cain is one of the most overrated HWs of all time, he almost never fought anyone that was a threat on the feet and on the ground off their back other than way passed his prime Big Nog and Werdum.

Pime JDS and Cain are bad match ups for any version of Fedor, but Cheick Kongo? C'mon, DC...

I would have liked to see DC in a ring during PrideFC 2004/5...

I am not sure he would have fared as well as he did in the UFC, personally.

DC is wrong again...Fedor beat how many UFC champs from his era?

Fedor has never beaten a single champion from his era, or even at any point in his career period, besides Nog I. Beating someone 14 years after their reign is not the same thing. They're former champions for a reason. Literally only Fedor fans try and pretend otherwise.

Which is funny how comparatively you guys never equally apply that standard to say that therefore Ryan Bader KO'd a Pride champ too. Weird how you understand it's dumb to pretend 2019 is 2007 when it applies to Fedor losses, but not when it's Fedor wins.

Yes, the kind of talk from a mixed-martial arts legend that turns Sherdog to a legit battleground filled with warrior-apostles from either side, trolls, scavengers and gleeful bystanders

He's not wrong... Fedor has been an overrated can crusher since about 2007 when pride ended

I don't disagree. He lost to Werdum in 2010 and looked to be falling off in the Brett Rogers fight which was 2009. In all likelyhood JDS and Cain beat him in that time frame, they were 10 years younger and coming into their primes.

Fedor has never beaten a single champion from his era, or even at any point in his career period, besides Nog I. Beating someone 14 years after their reign is not the same thing. They're former champions for a reason. Literally only Fedor fans try and pretend otherwise.

Which is funny how comparatively you guys never equally apply that standard to say that therefore Ryan Bader KO'd a Pride champ too. Weird how you understand it's dumb to pretend 2019 is 2007 when it applies to Fedor losses, but not when it's Fedor wins.

I don't now or have I ever liked the "era discussions". Chuck and Wanderlei wouldn't have been top 5 fighters during their runs today. The game changes too much. 10 years is a LONG time in MMA.

Fedor was the best of his time. It isn't right or fair to compare decades.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/10...verage-at-best-had-he-come-to-the-ufc-in-2009

“Versus Brock Lesnar, I’ll give you that. I think he beats Brock Lesnar. But outside of that, I don’t think Fedor competes very well in the UFC. I think that, honestly, Fedor not going to the UFC allowed for the intrigue to stay, but the reality of the situation is he would not have done well against those guys like JDS (Junior dos Santos), he wasn’t beating Cain Velasquez, he would have struggled with guys like Cheick Kongo. He was not beating those guys that were at the top of the UFC at that time. I’m certain of it.

“I know you’re gonna say, ‘ Well he beat this guy, he beat (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira and he beat Frank Mir.’ For as great as he is, he would have been, at that time in the sport, average at best. I’m telling you. Fedor Emelianenko in the UFC between 2009-11, average at best.”

Do you agree?

Cocaine is a hell of a thing

I respect Cormier but I don't get how he can say Fedor would have been average when he beat Frank Mir, a former 2x UFC champion and Nog also being a UFC champ. That alone puts him above average.

The Mir fight is completely meaningless, they were both shot by then. DC is specifically talking about the time period from 2009 to 2011, which was right before and including Fedor's losing streak.

JDS had already knocked out the Werdum that submitted Fedor in 2010, I don't see how what he's saying is remotely controversial. Do you honestly believe 2010 JDS would lose to Bigfoot and Hendo?

Last edited:
i think you are a triggered conor casual because these were not the best guys in UFC in 2009

if fedor was so good how come he got knocked out by a middleweight
how come he got knocked out by ryan bader
how come he's going to get destroyed tomorrow night

prime DC destroys prime fedor btw
Yeah. My 2007 join date and my pro mma debut in 2008 and I'm a Conner casual. Right. Lol. Hunt got knocked out by a middleweight who never even won a belt and fought for the UFC HW belt AFTER. At least Fedor lost to a former MW AND LHW Champ after he was on a 2 fight losing streak.

He lost to Bader because he is older, same with Anderson getting beat by barely top ten middleweights not long ago.

He may very well lose tomorrow, I don't think he should be fighting. I also think Anderson and most of the other guys who are getting be by guys they would have wrecked in their prime shouldn't be fighting. Unless it's with each other like Mir or Rampage vs Fedor, or Anderson vs Tito boxing.

Prime DC may have been able to beat him, we will never know unless you invent a time machine.

Last edited:
Fedor was not average in 09 at all. He was the best HW at that time. I do think JDS would have KO'd him at their peaks.

Back