Demetrious Johnson vs elite kickboxers

Fair point. What about just general striking though? DJ is faster than almost any MT fighter but he definitely seems less powerful.
That is seriously debatable. Maybe faster in that he'd likely start the fight at a higher pace and has quick footwork, but speed of technique I don't agree.

Hopefully we won't need to debate this and he'll fight in this rule set when he's recovered from his last fight.

That is seriously debatable. Maybe faster in that he'd likely start the fight at a higher pace and has quick footwork, but speed of technique I don't agree.

Hopefully we won't need to debate this and he'll fight in this rule set when he's recovered from his last fight.

That would be interesting at least. Give him some decent veterans and see how he hangs in there

As someone being a wrestler with muay thai experience I don't think MM would have any advantage in the muay thai clinch. Maybe a small advantage in a situation with double underhooks. Might have it easier to catch kicks and I expect this to be his most used defense against kicks.

The thai clinch is way to different from regular wrestling. Their upright stance makes them very vulnerable to wrestling throws, however those throws are banned in muay thai. At the same time the muay thai takedowns are very different from wrestling takedowns and will probably catch him off guard. I think MM would be better off avoiding the clinch.

In most of the cases there isn"t a debate. Like kickboxers are inferior to the pro-boxers, the same the MMA artists are under kickboxers.

In most of the cases there isn"t a debate. Like kickboxers are inferior to the pro-boxers, the same the MMA artists are under kickboxers.

McGregor won a couple of rounds against Mayweather. I think he'd be able to beat the average professional boxer/kickboxer.

McGregor won a couple of rounds against Mayweather. I think he'd be able to beat the average professional boxer/kickboxer.
He"s an exception, plus he began his career with boxing. If Mayweather really didn"t let him for a few rounds.

I can tell you even with some old background in boxing, he can"t beat any top boxer. And I have doubts he can beat even average boxers. And the kickboxers are inferior to the boxers. On punches of course, because all 3 are different sports.

We barely know kickboxers who have made it in boxing. While you know kickboxers who have made it in MMA. I have this feeling, that the boxing level of the kickboxers is better. And then MMA is not in discussion at all with boxing.

Additionally, kickboxing is still more global and practiced at the world level than MMA. Though less rich. Another funny fact, at some point in Europe there definitely were more kickboxing promotions than boxing ones. Sad situation, there are also bodies which are not giving anymore belts in kickboxing promotions but they are present in minor promotions and they do hold a lot of competitions such as Worlds and Euros.

Also, there are MMA fighters who can be quite good on boxing. Because I suppose we don"t talk about either of kickboxing kicks/ground fighting.

As someone being a wrestler with muay thai experience I don't think MM would have any advantage in the muay thai clinch. Maybe a small advantage in a situation with double underhooks. Might have it easier to catch kicks and I expect this to be his most used defense against kicks.

The thai clinch is way to different from regular wrestling. Their upright stance makes them very vulnerable to wrestling throws, however those throws are banned in muay thai. At the same time the muay thai takedowns are very different from wrestling takedowns and will probably catch him off guard. I think MM would be better off avoiding the clinch.

I think the grappling martial art that would probably compliment someone in MT the most would be Judo.

I think the grappling martial art that would probably compliment someone in MT the most would be Judo.

True, because they throw above the hip.

Also, there are MMA fighters who can be quite good on boxing. Because I suppose we don"t talk about either of kickboxing kicks/ground fighting.

What do you think of Mighty Mouse's kickboxing? He was elite for MMA but is that enough to be considered "average" for kickboxing?

There are many fighteres who are good on sambo, judo!

RvR is a judo black belt but doesnt seem to help...

It's not gonna compliment everybody that's for sure, but for some it would absolutely help with dump defense.

What do you think of Mighty Mouse's kickboxing? He was elite for MMA but is that enough to be considered "average" for kickboxing?
I've never heard anyone call Mighty Mouse an elite MMA kickboxer before.

Who is an average kickboxer? I really don't think he has a good chance against most solid kickboxers.

Take some fighters who range in the top 10-30 at 70 kg such as Dmitry Varets, Dylan Salvador, Davit Kiria, Anatoly Moiseev, Marouan Toutoh, Josh Jauncey, Jonay Risco, Sergey Kulyaba, Victor Nagbe, Enriko Kehl, Nordin Ben Moh, Dzhanis Zuev, Khayal Dzaniev etc and I would in most cases still put the money on the kickboxer.

McGregor advantages
+ Accurate hands
+ Good fight IQ

McGregor disadvantages
- Poor low kicks and mid kick
- Poor teep
- Poor knees
- Weak power in hands when boxing gloves are on
- Poor stance for kickboxing, can not block properly
- Weak cardio, will gas after 3 rounds

Most of the fighters above, as long as they don't get knocked out would most likely outscore him. Even if he gets a knockdown, in kickboxing, fights do not get stopped as easily as in MMA. Fighters could get knocked down and still come back and beat him.

Last edited:
Back