Law Did a court ruling just invalidate the electoral college?

The electoral college doesn't give each state an equal voice. Some states have only 3 electoral votes. California has 55. The people from small states (which are predominantly Republican) are overrepresented in Presidential elections because of the electoral college. There are less people per electoral vote in small states than there are people per electoral vote in large states. Which is wrong. A person shouldn't have greater or less say in determining his country's leader based on something as arbitrary the number of people that live in his state.

Yeah. Who cares about minority rights, amirite? I mean, fuck that shit. Majority (mob) rule all day long!!!

Screen-shot-2016-11-10-at-9.57.16-AM.png

Trump was right. It is a disaster for democracy. But it’s a godsend to our republic.

1. Youre an admitted moran.
2. Im not upset, you guys get triggered whenever I call out the cronyism of the system you support, and then you get upset.

You can’t even spell “moron”, moron.

Yeah. Who cares about minority rights, amirite? I mean, fuck that shit. Majority (mob) rule all day long!!!

The electoral system is one where the majority rules so your point doesn't hold up. They just have a system based on the number of individuals rather than counting the individuals. The main effect being to make people not have the same worth.

It’s not an ancient system. You’re just too stupid to understand what it is, how it works, or why it is superior to the popular vote.

If you have to resort to insults then you don't deserve to speak to me. Feel free to put me on ignore.

Because most states have laws against faithless electors (electors who don’t vote for the candidate they are pledged to vote for).

Faithless electors can be fined, censured, or face other legal penalties depending on the state they reside in.

Most electors are chosen by political parties (some through primaries). The reason why electors generally don’t go rogue is because the consequences are too great for them to bear.

If you’re hoping this is going to undo the electoral college, you are going to be disappointed. This ruling reaffirms a reality that anyone who is familiar with American politics already knew.

The judges' ruling says that those electors who decide to vote how THEY want now must have their vote accepted with no repercussions.

Thanks for not reading the OP.

What minority rights? Is being overrepresented when electing a leader a right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not only do I reach out to my representatives I like to hit up regulatory bodies and respond to calls for public comment about issues I care about. The single common theme is they don't give a shit. I'm not rich and I'm not a major donor.
Well that's not a good attitude to have.

Trump was right. It is a disaster for democracy. But it’s a godsend to our republic.

I happen to think we can do better than both the electoral and popular vote system. There's gotta be something. At the extreme least, heavy refinements to the system, namely voting for felons (who have served their debt, thus are taxed, and should have representation), mandatory paper backups, legislation shoring up our defenses against foreign attacks, voting day as a holiday, along with other candidate measures to ensure a higher voter turnout.

I would also support other things in the process itself, like shortening campaign time to 6 months like England, as to shorten the circus, and debate questions being provided to the campaign in advance of debates where long form, thought out answers are required (fuck the fucking MSNBC, CNN, FOX ratings), and other changes, like getting superpacs and dark money out of politics, with the perpetrators hung from the neck on the White House lawn.

I'm more for freedom than you.
<LordRoose>

If there are 30 million people spread across 15 states, and the people of each state get on average 1 electoral vote per 500k residents, they have more say than the people of a single state with a population of 30 million that gets 1 electoral vote per 1 million residents. "States" don't have any say. They're abstractions. People have say, and the electoral college ensures people in smaller states have greater say.
As it should be to protect their interest.

Mob rule.

Sorry for confusing you.
Weird then you made the opposite point by pointing out white people, by virtue of greater numbers, do have greater say than blacks by virtue of numbers.

That was pretty embarrassing for you.

The electoral system is one where the majority rules so your point doesn't hold up. They just have a system based on the number of individuals rather than counting the individuals. The main effect being to make people not have the same worth.

The majority of states (as intended), not the majority of people. My point stands.

If you have to resort to insults then you don't deserve to speak to me. Feel free to put me on ignore.

It’s not an insult, it’s a fact. The sting of a reproach is the truth of it.

What minority rights?

Do you know what the word minority means? Think about it real hard, and you might finally understand why we use the electoral college and not the popular vote. You’re so close already. Just dig a little further.

Is being overrepresented when electing a leader a right?

You still don’t understand how the electoral college works. If you understood, you would not continue to pound this dumb talking point.

The majority of states (as intended), not the majority of people. My point stands.

You can win the election by only winning the votes of 11 states. Does it mean that you think there are only 20 states or that you don't know how the system you're arguing about works? Either way your point does not stand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back