Social Do you realize your ancestors were black?

That s inaccurate I am afraid. Herodotus writes with great respect about Egyptians and other warm climate civilisations. I would need to check again but I think Ethiopians are super highly ranked. He talks in different terms about the more northern people like Scythians but tbf I don t recall if he even mentions Celts and Germanic people. It could be that the were simply unknown to Greeks in 5 centuries BC ish which I think is when Herodotus lived.

You say these sources are biased? Greek an Latin sources are literally all we have from that period.

That's just the Greeks. And they had plenty of biased things to say about foreigners. My point was that you'll find plenty of negative attitudes towards foreigners throughout the ancient world, not confined to northern peoples in Europe.

My biased source comment was about the bias of the people who wrote the comments.

Ah, right wingers and their room temperature IQ.

If you read closely, I'm not taking Greeks and Romans' comments about Germanics as "proof that they were less intelligent," but rather as proof that ALL weather-based theories about the intelligence, work ethic, are stupid, whether they're made in antiquity or today.

You were using comments from ancient writers about northern Europeans as proof that they weren't very bright, so I turned it around on you. Don't backtrack now, Possy.

I dispute the headline is all my man
OK but did you didn't even read the whole article. The one man from Spain was a different study. There were 83 samples; they were from Spain and 2 other countries.

That's just the Greeks. And they had plenty of biased things to say about foreigners. My point was that you'll find plenty of negative attitudes towards foreigners throughout the ancient world, not confined to northern peoples in Europe.

My biased source comment was about the bias of the people who wrote the comments.

You were using comments from ancient writers about northern Europeans as proof that they weren't very bright, so I turned it around on you. Don't backtrack now, Possy.
Well I am using Herodotus as a counter example of a Greek who didn’t look down on anything which isn‘t Greek, as again, he praises other civilisations. I think the part you may not be aware of is that Greeks despised what they called „barbarians“ but not other civilisations systematically.

An observation I have is that the American obsession about race, ethnicity and skin colour as markers of identity, which has contaminated other Western societies, has side effects. One being that white people, who 20 years ago didn‘t give a flying fuck about race, are starting to look into their ancient ancestry as means of identification with White/Aryan/Indo European/Germanic/etc.

Who would have thought that telling the vast majority of people in the Western world that they are guilty for being born White would have any consequence at all? Stupid games.

An observation I have is that the American obsession about race, ethnicity and skin colour as markers of identity, which has contaminated other Western societies, has side effects. One being that white people, who 20 years ago didn‘t give a flying fuck about race, are starting to look into their ancient ancestry as means of identification with White/Aryan/Indo European/Germanic/etc.

Who would have thought that telling the vast majority of people in the Western world that they are guilty for being born White would have any consequence at all? Stupid games.
It's obviously and induced obsession. i remember going to america first in 2003 and never hearing people talk about it. now, the same people i know speak about horseshit things like systemic racism and you can't be racist against white people. this shit was induced.

I suspect it's how the wealth class reacted to occupy wallstreet. it captured all "progressive" people into an ever-hysterical identity politics spiral to get them away from the real questions about economics and wealth capture. it's an astounding victory for the wealth class, and a confirmation of a theory i hold quite dear - the progressive noise is mostly made by 100 IQ midwits and the smarter progressives, that lose courage through their better equipped mind, just go along. and the wealth class, who are the smartest of us all and also employ the smartest of us all, quickly maneuvered the dumb progressives, that in turn hold the smart progressives hostage. and this is where we are.

The story of human skin color, specifically the evolution of light skin, offers a stark illustration of how recent certain adaptations are in the grand tapestry of human and hominid history. The Homo genus is believed to have emerged around 2.5 million years ago, with Homo sapiens, our own species, making its appearance roughly 300,000 years ago. For the vast majority of this timeline, humans and their hominid ancestors inhabited regions with varying degrees of UV radiation, sporting dark skin as a protective adaptation against the sun's intense rays. This trait was crucial for safeguarding folate levels, essential for DNA replication and repair, and for protecting against UV-induced damage.

The shift towards lighter skin pigmentation, as recent discoveries suggest, occurred astonishingly late in the course of human history. It was only around 8,000 years ago that genes associated with lighter skin, such as SLC24A5 and SLC45A2, began to spread rapidly among European populations, propelled by the migration and interbreeding between Near Eastern farmers and indigenous European hunter-gatherers. This adaptation was driven by the need to maximize vitamin D synthesis in regions of lower sunlight exposure.

When placed in the context of the Homo genus's existence and even the narrower timeframe of Homo sapiens's history, the last 8,000 years represent but a brief moment. To quantify, the period during which light skin has been a common trait in some human populations is less than 3% of the existence of Homo sapiens and a mere 0.32% of the Homo genus's timeline. This perspective underscores how dynamic and responsive human evolution is to changing environments, even within what, on an evolutionary scale, could be considered a blink of an eye.

Moreover, this brief period has seen significant cultural, technological, and societal advancements, from the development of agriculture to the rise of civilizations, and more recently, the technological boom of the last few centuries. Yet, despite these rapid changes, the genetic adaptations we carry, such as those for lighter skin in certain populations, are a reminder of our species' long journey through a variety of environments and the relatively recent nature of our current genetic makeup.

In summary, the evolution of light skin is a testament to the recentness of some human adaptations in the grand scheme of our history. It highlights the importance of viewing human diversity and traits through the lens of evolutionary biology, recognizing the profound impact of environmental changes on our species' development over time.

#SherdogLivesMatter

It's obviously and induced obsession. i remember going to america first in 2003 and never hearing people talk about it. now, the same people i know speak about horseshit things like systemic racism and you can't be racist against white people. this shit was induced.

I suspect it's how the wealth class reacted to occupy wallstreet. it captured all "progressive" people into an ever-hysterical identity politics spiral to get them away from the real questions about economics and wealth capture. it's an astounding victory for the wealth class, and a confirmation of a theory i hold quite dear - the progressive noise is mostly made by 100 IQ midwits and the smarter progressives, that lose courage through their better equipped mind, just go along. and the wealth class, who are the smartest of us all and also employ the smartest of us all, quickly maneuvered the dumb progressives, that in turn hold the smart progressives hostage. and this is where we are.
Absolutely. That is also a theory of mine. That the class warfare energy in the population was redirected from wealth distribution to identity is extremely lucrative for private capital. That‘s why so powerful stakeholders in society are going along with it.

OP is race obsessed and likes the "divide the people" aspect of using race as some determining factor in our lives as opposed to intellect, work ethic, integrity, or culture.

Shit wasn't an issue when I was a kid. We were well on our way to moving past the "they're different from us" way of thinking but modern liberals and Democrats in general pushed victimhood and a partisan divide.

Hence "No whites allowed" becoming more prevalent, "Black / Hispanic / Pacific Islander" days or months of celebration becoming a thing, and today's college campuses reverting back to segregation with "put the blacks in their own dorms" though of as progress.

Short sighted people with less than good intentions are marching us right back to the Civil Rights mentality of us / them.

We were once close to coming together, and not caring about your color. Maybe not as close as some would have liked, but the difference between the late 90's and now is incredible. If you were to tell us ricker/hippy folks back then what today would look like, we would have said you're full of it. Here we are though.

It was only around 8,000 years ago that genes associated with lighter skin, such as SLC24A5 and SLC45A2, began to spread rapidly among European populations (...) this brief period has seen significant cultural, technological, and societal advancements, from the development of agriculture to the rise of civilizations, and more recently, the technological boom of the last few centuries

So what you're saying is that as soon as humans turned white, they developped civilisation ?

<mma4>

I'm old and not a single fucking person or organization has ever told me I should feel guilty for being white. Not one. Never fucking happened. It's a non-event made up by people who should feel guilty for their racist treatment of others but want to pretend they've nothing to feel guilty about. That's what I observe.

I'm old and not a single fucking person or organization has ever told me I should feel guilty for being white. Not one. Never fucking happened. It's a non-event made up by people who should feel guilty for their racist treatment of others but want to pretend they've nothing to feel guilty about. That's what I observe.
Bro…..do you even read the papers? Do you even listen to center left politicians? This shit is EVERYWHERE.

We were once close to coming together, and not caring about your color. Maybe not as close as some would have liked, but the difference between the late 90's and now is incredible. If you were to tell us ricker/hippy folks back then what today would look like, we would have said you're full of it. Here we are though.
I think the people who have issues with race were still there but were kept quiet by social pressure. That pressure is no longer there, especially on social media and in private discussion groups in particular.

I think the people who have issues with race were still there but were kept quiet by social pressure. That pressure is no longer there, especially on social media and in private discussion groups in particular.
I don't discount the possibility, but the levels it is at now is shocking to me, having lived in a relatively chill time in regards to race. Nobody pressured you one way or the other to take such extreme stances. Of course, this is only my experience growing up in a mixed area in Florida. It could be very different depending on the place.

Back