Do you think music sucks because you don't like it?

"your not" eh?

Anybody that can read?

<36>

Is your goal to look as idiotic as possible? If so, mission accomplished.

my position is that music that glorifies crime and rape and sexual degeneracy and promotes pride and materialism and the seeking of shallow and empty fame and notoriety is bad music and as bad for humanity. i also think that there is no skill level involved in the making of this kind of music from any genre that justifies the morally degenerate content.

my position is that music that glorifies crime and rape and sexual degeneracy and promotes pride and materialism and the seeking of shallow and empty fame and notoriety is bad music and as bad for humanity. i also think that there is no skill level involved in the making of this kind of music from any genre that justifies the morally degenerate content.

You're not John Lennon though, you don't get to start over.

You lied and your position is as terrible as your comprehension and reasoning skills. Take care bud.

You're not John Lennon though, you don't get to start over.

You lied and your position is as terrible as your comprehension and reasoning skills. Take care bud.

this is the position i took which began our conversation. you just have no defense against it nor for your own position so you have moved the goalposts. here it is restated for you to consider.

my position is that music that glorifies crime and rape and sexual degeneracy and promotes pride and materialism and the seeking of shallow and empty fame and notoriety is bad music and is bad for humanity. i also think that there is no skill level involved in the making of this kind of music from any genre that justifies the morally degenerate content.

this is the position i took which began our conversation. you just have no defense against it nor for your own position so you have moved the goalposts. here it is restated for you to consider.

my position is that music that glorifies crime and rape and sexual degeneracy and promotes pride and materialism and the seeking of shallow and empty fame and notoriety is bad music and is bad for humanity. i also think that there is no skill level involved in the making of this kind of music from any genre that justifies the morally degenerate content.

Lol at moving goalposts.

You spent an entire thread lying and crying, and now you want to try to start over.

<36>

You can't even separate musicianship from words. You have the intelligence of a peanut. On top of that, you're a liar:

you mocked my position. i think that is hateful so i used the common turn of phrase "hating on".

i cant understand the hate for a person speaking out against greed pride...

No one hates you sweet pea. I hope you've accepted that now...

Maybe you could enlighten me.

Do you like any piece of classical music? If not, you may never like any operatic song.

If so, you need to familiarise yourself with the story first and then the songs. Listen to the songs while reading the lyrics in English.

Personally, no opera storyline really grabs me - but individual songs do. I’d know every part of those songs (in English) before I go and hearing them live would blow me away.

Do you like any piece of classical music? If not, you may never like any operatic song.

If so, you need to familiarise yourself with the story first and then the songs. Listen to the songs while reading the lyrics in English.

Personally, no opera storyline really grabs me - but individual songs do. I’d know every part of those songs (in English) before I go and hearing them live would blow me away.

I actually do. I enjoy all of it. It would take me a while to get into the concept, after that it's an amazing experience. My kids dance and play instruments. I love it.

You stole my heart.

<Oku04>

I actually do. I enjoy all of it. It would take me a while to get into the concept, after that it's an amazing experience. My kids dance and play instruments. I love it.

Well, there are loads of good operas but you can’t go wrong with the three that I mentioned. I hope you end up going and you enjoy it. It’s a night out - something different.

What do your kids play?

It depends on what music/music artist.
There are some bands/solo artists you don't have to like but you are supposed to respect them because they are generally held in high regard (i.e. Pink Floyd or David Bowie).
And there are some bands/solo artists that you don't like and you think they suck because they are generally not respected (i.e. Nickelback or Justin Bieber).

There are definitely pieces of music that are 'good' that I don't personally enjoy listening to.

It depends on what music/music artist.
There are some bands/solo artists you don't have to like but you are supposed to respect them because they are generally held in high regard (i.e. Pink Floyd or David Bowie).
And there are some bands/solo artists that you don't like and you think they suck because they are generally not respected (i.e. Nickelback or Justin Bieber).

So do you think they suck, or do you just not like them?

I just say it's not to my taste. There's loads of music that's loved by the public and critics alike that just isn't for me. I'm not a fan of the Doors for example, but I can respect that loads of people like them.

I wouldn't say food that isn't to my taste sucks, I'd just say I don't like it. I can't see why it'd be any different with music.

So do you think they suck, or do you just not like them?

I just took them as examples (Floyd, Bowie and Bieber, Nickelback). I didn't say how I feel about them.
I like and respect Floyd and Bowie and I absolutely dislike and don't respect Bieber and Nickelback and I absolutely agree on the general consensus about them, they suck and their music has no musical or artistic merit and credibility.

For example Bob Dylan never appealed to me, but I respect him and must acknowledge that he is a great artist indeed.

Only style of music that I think is out to lunch is "mumble rap".

I'm not sure if that's even a genre, tbh. But I trust you get what I mean.

Is it because I'm getting older? Probably.

But then, I disliked that style of music when I was 14 as well. I didn't even like Rap as an entire genre at that age.

To me, music sucks when it lacks good musicianship and good lyrics. Those are two things you can quantify.

But I also understand, that everyone likes what they like. So if it does it for you, you do you.

Music is about bringing joy to people, who am I to judge what brings someone joy, even if it does the opposite for me.

When I hate music it's because it has no depth or just sounds irritating.

There really isn’t a difference. How do you define music that sucks? Is it super simplistic, and lacking any and all technical ability from the writer and/or performer? Because some great, great songs are like that.
Is good music very complex, with key changes, quarter note displacements, and other deeper musical elements? Because jazz has all of that, and so much of it fucking sucks.

It's music that moves people the most, and it doesn't matter how complex it is if it cannot do that.

I really think a lot of the jazz/bebop love was just a pose. Only the technical virtuosity is impressive about lots of music, classical included. It's impressive but if it doesn't move emotions it means next to nothing.

There's music I don't like which I recognize has objective value, as a matter of craft, and there is music I don't like which has no objective value, and I will scorn you to argue that it does.

The former I just ignore. The latter I hold in contempt.

It's music that moves people the most, and it doesn't matter how complex it is if it cannot do that.

I really think a lot of the jazz/bebop love was just a pose. Only the technical virtuosity is impressive about lots of music, classical included. It's impressive but if it doesn't move emotions it means next to nothing.
I agree completely about a lot of jazz. It’s just a showcase for the musicians to exhibit their technical ability. Most of it doesn’t move me at all. With classical, it’s more like a study of music than a showcase. I’m not huge into it, but there is a lot of classical I find very moving.

Oh, and there is nobody in this planet more arrogant, and undeservedly so, than wannabe jazz musicians. I took a music class in college which, unbeknownst to me, was basically a class so the jazz band could have fuck around time with the jazz teacher. They all were not very good, and all of them were arrogant. They had very little technical ability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back