Donald Pump's "Let's Make F13 Great Again" Pub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bacon seasoned with Montreal steak spice. Been doing this for 15 years and it doesn't disappoint.

I'm not saying bacon isn't eaten any more, I'm just saying it in 2006 there was this fad that bacon and bacon fat were gods gift to man and should be put on, weaved around, or accompany everything. That seems to largely have passed. I love me some bacon, and I don't have a problem cooking with bacon fat, but I'd take ghee as a cooking fat or regular butter as a topping most times, and if we're talking bacon wrapped, honestly I'd rather have it on the side (scallops and filet mignon I'm looking at you) or blended in (meatloaf and meatballs).

Scallops are particularly troublesome for me, because most of the time you overcook the scallop trying to get the bacon to be done. You can par cook the bacon, but for all the trouble of doing that, just cook some to be served on the side. I like my scallops just barely cooked in the middle and seared heavily on the outside. To achieve this, break out the turkey fryer and your cast iron skilled. Add about a tablespoon or two of fat (bacon fat since you have no doubt cooked bacon to have on the side) and set the heat to 11. when your fat is just about to smoke, add some large diver scallops (like 1.5" in diameter).

now count 60 seconds.

now flip them over and count 60 seconds

now take them out of the pan.

Done. Eat with bacon if you like. maybe wilt some greens with the leftover heat in the skillet or something.

Edited to add: I DEFINITELY bought into the bacon fad at the time.

Bacon was my gateway meat when I finally started eating like a normal person again...

Ya know what? I think I'll have bacon for breakfast in the morning. Omelettes have been my go-to for a couple years now, but I do love some crispy bacon, especially with a grilled banana.

I had scrambled eggs with bacon and sweet potato hash for breakfast, just like in the good old days.

It was bacon on fried bread for me this morning, now about to tuck into chilli for the second day running.

I had bacon for breakfast, with some fried eggs. I could eat bacon at every meal. Some days...I do just that.

Fried bread=toast+butter for those of us in north america.
The bread was fried in the bacon fat, and no butter was added, I'm not sure what US toast is like, but fried bread over here is quite different from our "normal" toast.

The bread was fried in the bacon fat, and no butter was added, I'm not sure what US toast is like, but fried bread over here is quite different from our "normal" toast.

I do my grilled cheese in bacon fat / duck fat. Game changer.

This sounds delicious, I will give that a try.

Fresh basil or parsely,
Asiago cheese
Butter the inside of the bread.
Pancetta/guanciale in the sammich.
Pancetta/guanciale grease or duck fat for the pan pending direction you are going.

I recommend a seasoned ketchup, not a plain heinz. Red duck ketchup (brand has a similar name, i dont know it off hand).

Its not needed but most ppl like it, and i dont like that plain heinz shit.

A good-quality tomato sauce has so much more to it than some of the plain shit. I have basically a shelf full of different condiments, each one has its place.

How is Urban not dead? I figured he would have died in a drunken attempt to jump a fence by now. Explain yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back