Dustin Poirier is a top 4 LW ever. Yay or Nay?

He got some nice scalps on his resume.

Max (2x)

Conor (2x won the trilogy)

Gaethje....

<TheWire1>.

He might be up there on the mma LW mount rushmore.
Not in a rude way, but Max and Conor’s combined Lightweight resumes are absolutely null…

We need to bring up other opponents to make this argument.

In no order, here are fighters better than Dustin at 155lbs if we are considering resume alone.

1. Nurmagomedov
2. Ferguson
3. Oliveira
4. Penn

holy shit people have some kind of strange obsession with BJ Penn. his wins at LW are absolute garbage. the division was dog shit when he won the title and him getting beat by Edgar 3 times proves this. I've got it Kabib, Islam, Olive, DP.

Last edited:
Wtf, really? No ground game? Lol ...Poirier has subbed many elite fighters. Fuck, he just was the first man to ever sub Chandler. Lol, he's been a black belt like forever ffs. Florian and Lauzon wouldn't do shit imo, seriously.
"Many" is some high level yoga stretching. Chandler and Pettis are the wins to talk about in 37 fights.

"Many" is some high level yoga stretching. Chandler and Pettis are the wins to talk about in 37 fights.
To claim that Lauzon or Florian would have anything for Poirier is baffling to me. You forgot Max btw.

To claim that Lauzon or Florian would have anything for Poirier is baffling to me. You forgot Max btw.
No I didn't forget Max.
He was 20
In his UFC debut
His 5th pro fight
1st pro fight was 15 months earlier
I didn't forget him, but beating Max then meant nothing.
Poirier could likely keep it standing but if got to the ground i wouldn't like his chances against Joe Lauzon

No I didn't forget Max.
He was 20
In his UFC debut
His 5th pro fight
Poirier could likely keep it standing but if got to the ground i wouldn't like his chances against Joe Lauzon
his only submission loss in over 30 pro fights.

No I didn't forget Max.
He was 20
In his UFC debut
His 5th pro fight
Yeah, fair enough, I knew you didn't forget Max when I wrote it btw, lol.

DP knows enough to possibly stay outta trouble on the ground imo. It's if Lauzon could've even gotten it there in the first place, he never struck me to be too good of a wrestler, he was good but not great imo. Anything could've happen though, it is a fight after all.

Last edited:
No way on this earth.

Khabib is ahead. So is Islam.

So is BJ. You cannot have Poirier over Charles either.

So without getting indepth about who would be top 4, which may not be easiest thing to do, we know at the very worst there's more than 4 in front of Poirier.

Im not selling Poirier short either, because Im the same guy who made this thread and not many agreed back then.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/is-dustin-poirier-the-best-striker-in-the-lw-history.4190204/

He probably is, but no way he is top 4 LW ever. No way.

And as much credit as I gave Poirier for being a striker he is, Conor is a more talented, better striker prime for prime.

But Poirier put the time and work in. Conor stopped long ago.

Bjs time was easier. Sherk, Kenny ect.

I put DP over Bj.

Khabib, BJ, Benson, Ferguson?

Khabib, BJ, Benson, Ferguson?
I don’t think Ferguson belongs that high personally. The 4th spot should be Alvarez imo.

Most everyone has Khabib and BJ in the top 2 (no need to debate me on this, if you're the 1 out of 10 who disagree - I already know you fools exist).
LOL, BJ is not ahead of Ben Henderson or Frankie Edgar, sorry pal. BJ is top 5, but not top 3. BJ has a devoted fan base, but bottom line is people need to be rational where they place BJ.

upload_2023-6-4_7-29-19.gif

Too high for a someone who never won the belt in a very competitive division through the eras. On one hand, it's too his credit that his still kicking around near the top all these years later. But it's also an indictment that he couldn't make it to the top after the WEC merger like Bendo or Pettis.

Also Conor and Holloway are fine wins but not proper LW wins. Although if Holloway moves up and has success that could change.

Much better career than Masvidal, but the similarities are there.

He didn’t win the belt but it seems clear to me that he could have. I would bet on DP to win if he fought the championship versions of Edgar, Benson, Pettis, Tony (interim).

He needed to get that Oliveira win though. That’s always going to be the fight that haunts him I think.

The only way Dustin is #4 is if you have MJ as #3 because he beat both Dustin and Tony and MJ sure as hell ain’t #3.

BJ, Beeb,Mach,Charles. All ahead. Then its close. Dustin is grouped with 3 others after in RDA , Bendo....

He didn’t win the belt but it seems clear to me that he could have. I would bet on DP to win if he fought the championship versions of Edgar, Benson, Pettis, Tony (interim).

He needed to get that Oliveira win though. That’s always going to be the fight that haunts him I think.
Sure he has that quality. But he never could get over the hump, unlike Bisping. And everyone is undefeated in hypothetical fights.

I'm also not sure he would have beat Edgar or Bendo. His defensive instincts have always been a liability that's been partly shielded by the matchups he's gotten in the era. He didn't have to go through guys like Sherk or Maynard.

He has solid wins. Perhaps top 10 but idk, I don't really rank him any higher than let's say prime Cerrone. Even among fighters who never won the belt I'd put him behind Tony. He's like an eternal top contender but not really champ material. Very solid fighter but was never the best guy. Both at 145 and 155 at no time was he the best guy in either division.

Back