Media Dustin Poirier working the bag

He spams too many hooks IMO, they take longer to get to the target than straight punches so that wasn’t fast enough to catch Khabib. MJ was the only one to do it cause he has the fastest hands.

He spams too many hooks IMO, they take longer to get to the target than straight punches so that wasn’t fast enough to catch Khabib. MJ was the only one to do it cause he has the fastest hands.
He did catch Khabib though, but Khabib had/has a rock solid chin. Plus, he usually only spams hooks after he has the fighter hurt these days, and even then you'll find that he mixes in other strikes.

Impressive. He used to have terrible hands earlier in his career.

Dustin started off as a grappler training out of Tim Credeur's gym, he had 3 armbar wins in his first 6 fights. Tim's gym had a reputation for gym wars, but a talent like Dustin outgrew the place. He wasn't going to become a world class striker there but he got good MMA grappling and ultimately a black belt.

He joined ATT in 2012 transformed his game. IMO waited too long moving to 155lbs in 2015.

I think its likely his hips are shot judging the way he moves. Had some solid low calf kicks against Conor and thumped them, but I don't think he has the flexibility or range of motion to head kick. Dustin moves with the signature rocking gait many wrestlers/grapplers with bad hips have.

Fortunately for him he's well rounded enough to keep out of trouble and rely on his excellent boxing.

solid work. I regret to say that Dustin is a fighter I have written off many times. He's a solid talent and receives unwarranted hate

You can throw from anywhere. Once you are good enough you can throw punches and hooks from anywhere. For example everyone is taught to pivot your foot for the hook, but in real fights and for real power and being able to throw multiple hooks, you plant both feet. It's all in the hips and the pivot can be skipped and is skipped by high/elite level boxers. That's just an example of how different textbook technique that is taught is different than actual application in fights. For reference you can look at some of boxing best lead hook fighters. Like De La Hoya, Ryan Garcia, Canelo, Tank Davis, etc and watch their feet hitting bags, and watch their feet during fights.

Great point!
Obviously these guys are all high level; so WTF do I know?

I guess I'm speaking from my own limited personal experience.
When I did box, I had a nasty hook that I could hit from anywhere (even with my hands down,) but that was usually accompanied by a lot of head movement, 'weird angles,' and a lot of emphasis on timing; as I wasn't super fast.

Those (for me) wide open hooks never came off of flurries.

That said, I guess that my 'concern' would be that he seems to be opening up (especially on the first few hooks) a bit; and considering how strong and dynamic that Chandler's is, I'd be concerned about Poirier getting clipped by one of his opponent's big shots and being stopped or stunned long enough to get hit with an easy TD.

Of course, we all know that Poirier's the man; and I guess I'd have to re-watch some of his former fights, but I thought he was more of a Philly shell as opposed to a bob and weave (my preferred approach) kinda guy I was.

Can’t really return your hands directly to your head when you are throwing flurries of combos like that. But it was from his shoulders. Not waist level lol

Right, I was really more concerned with the the shots that he was throwing in the beginning of the video as opposed to the quicker flurry at the end; further explanation of my concern.

You did make a valid point, though!

Last edited:
Great point!
Obviously these guys are all high level; so WTF do I know?

I guess I'm speaking from my own limited personal experience.
When I did box, I had a nasty hook that I could hit from anywhere (even with my hands down,) but that was usually accompanied by a lot of head movement, 'weird angles,' and a lot of emphasis on timing; as I wasn't super fast.

Those (for me) wide open hooks never came off of flurries.

That said, I guess that my 'concern' would be that he seems to be opening up (especially on the first few hooks) a bit; and considering how strong and dynamic that Chandler's is, I'd be concerned about Poirier getting clipped by one of his opponent's big shots and being stopped or stunned long enough to get hit with an easy TD.

Of course, we all know that Poirier's the man; and I guess I'd have to re-watch some of his former fights, but I thought he was more of a Philly shell as opposed to a bob and weave (my preferred approach) kinda guy I was.

Right, I was really more concerned with the the shots that he was throwing in the beginning of the video as opposed to the quicker flurry at the end; further explanation of my concern.

You did make a valid point, though!
Bag work is a bit different, usually people work power, speed, timing, rhythm, patterns on it. Some work their defense into it as well but it's usually for high reps and full power. So he's just working his overall punch mechanics and punching power. So it's more about the full motions of the punches and connecting the punches together, like repeated hooks back to back. So for that you will naturally open up more. When you do textbook style of these punches and you just want to focus on one hook, then yeah you can tighten that up. But any repeated hooks will always be a bit open. Look at Tyson's hooks, he's probably considered one of the best to do repeated hooks alternating hands and multiple hooks from the same hand and he will widen up the punch to increase power.

Pretty much real application in fights you have to open up more. This is the problem many that critique technique fail to realize. Too many are too focused on doing the moves to look like how you do it in demos and drills. But with the change in height, reach, distance, range, movement, footowork, head movement, etc all moves and techniques have to be adjusted in the moment. No one stands still and upright like pad holders and like when you do drills. So of course things look different in a real fight because they are moving around trying not to get hit and also punching back trying to hit you at the same time.

Also if your pad work doesn't transfer over to your real fights, then all that is just theatrics. They say the same thing in boxing, your pad work has to be able to transfer over to your real fights. I see a lot of pad work in mma but they do none of it in their fights. So there is a disconnect there for many fighters/coaches/trainers.

Bag work is a bit different, usually people work power, speed, timing, rhythm, patterns on it. Some work their defense into it as well but it's usually for high reps and full power. So he's just working his overall punch mechanics and punching power. So it's more about the full motions of the punches and connecting the punches together, like repeated hooks back to back. So for that you will naturally open up more. When you do textbook style of these punches and you just want to focus on one hook, then yeah you can tighten that up. But any repeated hooks will always be a bit open. Look at Tyson's hooks, he's probably considered one of the best to do repeated hooks alternating hands and multiple hooks from the same hand and he will widen up the punch to increase power.

Pretty much real application in fights you have to open up more. This is the problem many that critique technique fail to realize. Too many are too focused on doing the moves to look like how you do it in demos and drills. But with the change in height, reach, distance, range, movement, footowork, head movement, etc all moves and techniques have to be adjusted in the moment. No one stands still and upright like pad holders and like when you do drills. So of course things look different in a real fight because they are moving around trying not to get hit and also punching back trying to hit you at the same time.

Also if your pad work doesn't transfer over to your real fights, then all that is just theatrics. They say the same thing in boxing, your pad work has to be able to transfer over to your real fights. I see a lot of pad work in mma but they do none of it in their fights. So there is a disconnect there for many fighters/coaches/trainers.

Right on!
Good call.

Thank you!

Dustin can box
Had he decided to follow a career in boxing instead of mma? I think he would have done well

World champion? Probably not, but I definitely think he has legit skills

Dustin can box
Had he decided to follow a career in boxing instead of mma? I think he would have done well

World champion? Probably not, but I definitely think he has legit skills
No offense to the Conor fans, but I believe he could have done better than Conor in boxing, which isn't saying much imo. Lol

Wouldn’t 90% of those strikes be to the chest of an opponent?

Seems like the bag should be a little higher or lower to be to the head or core.

I guess Chandler is very small though, so they may be head shots
The chest and the chin are inches apart - if he can't make that adjustment live then he doesn't sell hot sauce.

If, during the fight, he keeps hitting Chandler in the chest (not always a bad strategy, mind you) then come back and bump this thread.

No offense to the Conor fans, but I believe he could have done better than Conor in boxing, which isn't saying much imo. Lol

100%
Conor obviously has(had) decent hands, but Dustin actually throws/moves like a boxer. He really has great skills for mma standards

In pure boxing he would beat max/conor/jorge/nate etc imo

100%
Conor obviously has(had) decent hands, but Dustin actually throws/moves like a boxer. He really has great skills for mma standards

In pure boxing he would beat max/conor/jorge/nate etc imo
I think so to, I just didn't want to say it with this place being filled with looneys. I thought this for a very long time, and not because I'm a homer. Lol, Masvidal might give Poirier fits though, but I think he could still win.

After he beats Chandler he should face Gaethje for the next title shot, then they should keep rematching until all of them get title shots.
Why Gaethje? Straight to fight Islam for it.

Back