Eddie Alvarez doesn't like Michael Chandler's chances against Gaethje: "Terrible Matchup"

Peli

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
E2QF_JmXMAcW74Y

Source - I guess media is recycling old interviews as new news.

Last edited:
Chandler blew it. He had the easiest UFC road to the title one could ask for. Now he has to swim in an ocean full of sharks.

This is a particular bad matchup because Mike doesn't react well calf kicks at all, which happens to be Justins thing. Would be a brutal fight while it lasts though. Someones soul has to go. Book it.

E2QF_JmXMAcW74Y

Source - I guess media is recycling old interviews as new news.

I think it's a terrible match up as well. Chandler hasn't shown the chin that Gaethje has and his legs seem especially susceptible to leg kicks, which is one of Gaethje's greatest weapons. Chandlers only hope IMO would be to take him down consistently and control him on the ground, perhaps even get a submission (Khabib made that look easy against Justin) or maybe a perfectly placed KO punch against Justin (unlikely).

Agreed. Both have big power, but Gaethje has the chin advantage, and that will be the difference maker.
I disagree with the chin advantage. Chandler has one more loss by strikes more than Justin which isn't a big discrepancy and take into consideration Justin nearly got finished by MJ & Tony by strikes as well.

I disagree with the chin advantage. Chandler has one more loss by strikes more than Justin which isn't a big discrepancy and take into consideration Justin nearly got finished by MJ & Tony by strikes as well.
That's the difference in the fights. If you look at the boxscore, you'll see that, but if you see the abuse he's taken from guys in recent fights and recover, He has the advantage. I don't think Michael Chandler at 35 could have taken that shot Michael johnson gave him. He gave khabib a good shot too. Knocked out dustin and gave Tony problems, that MJ was different.

If what I saw from Gaethje vs Khabib is true, a D1 Wrestler like Chandler will have no time making him tap in 1 round lmao
he's only 10-8 as a D1, compared to Gathje whose 6-6 as a D1, the difference also is in their MMA career trajectories. He kind of pales in comparison to Gathje hence Eddie's comment, everything he's good at Gathje is a lot better at.

If what I saw from Gaethje vs Khabib is true, a D1 Wrestler like Chandler will have no time making him tap in 1 round lmao
You won't like to hear this. You might even think I'm being an UFC shill. But gaethjes tdd> Chandler's takedown defense.

Gaethje successfully sprawled on khabib. Khabib just countered it.

NegligibleUnfoldedCreature-size_restricted.gif

Chandler isn't going to do this. Not in his skillset. Neither is wrestling against the fence.

Chandler only has two chokes, arm triangle and rnc. Gaethje would be okay

Last edited:

Justin has proved he has a good chin in epic wars with Poirier and Alvarez... he took a ton of punishment before finally going down. Chandler hasn't shown the same punch resistance against guys like Pitbull, Will Brooks, and Olivera.

Lol, Eddie is yet another fighter who knows dick about predicting fights but hes finally right about this one. Chandler fights any of these top guys- 2nd straight loss. Dan Hooker is overrated and played the part of fools gold .

Justin has proved he has a good chin in epic wars with Poirier and Alvarez... he took a ton of punishment before finally going down. Chandler hasn't shown the same punch resistance against guys like Pitbull, Will Brooks, and Olivera.
Granted it does take a lot of punishment for Justin to finally go down compared to Chandler but I still don't see Justin having a chin advantage maybe a recovery advantage. I think their chin is damn near dead even.

Back