Edson Barboza breaks his silence and talks about the fight against Khabib Nurmagomedov

He had hip space multiple times and didn't capitalize. Seriously, just go watch a highlight of the fight and you will see it for yourself. Khabib has great pressure, indeed, and Barboza wilted beneath it more than he should have.
I’ve watched it three times, I disagree. Guys like johnson and Edson don’t get held down easily. Khabib did a great job of controlling edson’s legs and Edson struggling to get up is part of what exposed him to eat all those shots.

I don’t think he broke at all. I think he had no answer to khabib that’s all. Khabib is better

He had hip space multiple times and didn't capitalize. Seriously, just go watch a highlight of the fight and you will see it for yourself. Khabib has great pressure, indeed, and Barboza wilted beneath it more than he should have.

and whom will be able to capitalize on Khabib giving them "hip space"?

Yeah that’s true. He’s improved in a lot of those areas as well under Mark Henry but you have to be lights out for someone like Khabib.

He actually started pretty strong, even made khabib run into the cage at one point early. but I think in one exchange he got caught against the cage (not circling) and got taken down. From there, it was a beating and he did seem rocked the rest of the fight.
i remember his boxing looking very good against pettis and melendez but then again, neither of those guys have great hands either.

i would have loved to see him circle out, plant his foot and make one really count (ala stipe/werdum) but it was clear he didnt have it that night.

If you have been around for a while, you know no one at LW has that amount of great names in their resumees
Yes he lost sometimes, but never ducked anyone and always came to fight, respect, no matter what i'm forever a fan, war Barboza!

b0e046072a87f51bddaf8875aa8d74d0.png

23a6be26a3802578941cb4ec85578ecd.png

He is legit as it gets. Top dog. Much love for Edson.

and whom will be able to capitalize on Khabib giving them "hip space"?

Hard to say. But that doesn't negate the point, either way, if I cannot provide an example.

But just for fun, I'd venture Conor would be quicker to take advantage of such a gift.

I’ve watched it three times, I disagree. Guys like johnson and Edson don’t get held down easily. Khabib did a great job of controlling edson’s legs and Edson struggling to get up is part of what exposed him to eat all those shots.

I don’t think he broke at all. I think he had no answer to khabib that’s all. Khabib is better

I didn't say he broke, I said he wilted. He never broke, but he did seem to wilt during certain moments of the ground battle.

Khabib is a better grappler, this is obvious. And Edson needs to work on his ability to use whatever space awarded, to pop back up in the face of such an enormous grappling threat.

If Khabib gives you even a second of hip space, you better take it. Or you're fucked.

Khabib looked impressive but he manhandled him for 3 rounds and could not get Barboza in a submission hold or make him quit by a long shot.
A bloody nose and mouth is all he had, not a big deal after being held down for 3 rounds and controlled basically.
Khabib has a finish over maybe one significant fighter and that is Michael Johnson and everybody is talking like he is king kong

Khabib looked impressive but he manhandled him for 3 rounds and could not get Barboza in a submission hold or make him quit by a long shot.
A bloody nose and mouth is all he had, not a big deal after being held down for 3 rounds and controlled basically.
Khabib has a finish over maybe one significant fighter and that is Michael Johnson and everybody is talking like he is king kong

Michael Johnson is the most overrated fighter ever on here, i don't understand why the guy is ranked. He loses most of the time, his record is garbage. I don't rate him highly at all, he is a mid-tier fighter and nothing more. He doesn't even have a winning record in UFC.

It's scary to think that he trains with Frankie and still had zero answers for Khabib's takedowns and grappling.

I seen that asswhooping coming a mile away, Edson didn’t see it? Must be blind.
ray-charles-i-cant-see-shit.jpg

Edson did his best but got beat up. It happens.

Hard to say. But that doesn't negate the point, either way, if I cannot provide an example.

But just for fun, I'd venture Conor would be quicker to take advantage of such a gift.

I didn't say he broke, I said he wilted. He never broke, but he did seem to wilt during certain moments of the ground battle.

Khabib is a better grappler, this is obvious. And Edson needs to work on his ability to use whatever space awarded, to pop back up in the face of such an enormous grappling threat.

If Khabib gives you even a second of hip space, you better take it. Or you're fucked.
I get that, but he did get up in rounds two and three.it may seem easier than it is to capitalize, MJ talked about it recently in an interview how people watching don’t understand how good khabibs control is but he knew what edson was going through and how impossible it feels to create space. Khabib is a different animal.

Edson has created space and gotten to his feet in literally every other fight he’s been taken down.

Also, Conor is literally terrible at getting to his feet in past performances. He’s less athletic and stares at the ref while eating shots

I get that, but he did get up in rounds two and three.it may seem easier than it is to capitalize, MJ talked about it recently in an interview how people watching don’t understand how good khabibs control is but he knew what edson was going through and how impossible it feels to create space. Khabib is a different animal.

Edson has created space and gotten to his feet in literally every other fight he’s been taken down.

Also, Conor is literally terrible at getting to his feet in past performances. He’s less athletic and stares at the ref while eating shots

MJ is a better, more experienced wrestler than Barboza. I'd have to rewatch that fight, but I'm willing to bet Khabib gave him less leeway.

Khabib is clearly a different animal than anyone Barboza has faced. But space is space. Had he attempted to take advantage and had been stuffed anyway, I'd have nothing to say. However, some of the few opportunities he did have, he simply failed to act upon.

Perhaps that's a product of being made to feel helpless. You do not see the oportunity when it is there.

Conor can wall walk quite well. And he's got better command over his legs than Barboza does from bottom. If Khabib gives him the opportunities he gave Barboza, against the cage, Khabib will probably have to re-scoop those legs to resecure top control.

It would help Edson if he settled his feet a little bit more. When you're being pressured, you can't bounce around, because you will never have enough time to pivot. He wants to counter with kicks too, which is very hard to do moving backwards. He kinda gave up on body shots, but they were actually effective at halting Khabib's forward movement. If he just planted his feet a couple times and stood his ground, that would make the fight different. Obviously, he'd still gotten taken down, but maybe he'd scored a body shot TKO...

It's gonna take a someone with a strong counter game to KO Khabib. He'll give you the opportunity when he walks you down, you just have to have the right timing and power.

{<Mcgoat}

This is professional fighting and if you wrestle-fuck your opponent and beat the living shit outta them from up top it's all fair game. Khabib will do the same shit to TFerg and Conor.

There's something almost tragic in knowing exactly what your opponent wants to do and finding out, once in the cage, that you are just like all the other dudes you have seen him crush and you can't do anything about it.

That just shows how good Khabib is.

Edson knew what the gameplan was, prepared for it, and still left with a 30-24.

Dude sure is one dominant fucker.

Back