Fighters who flipped your opinion on them.

T-800
@purple
Reaction score
I have watched Jorge Masvidal since the Kimbo Slice backyard brawl days. I was a fan for years.

After watching an interview about how he described himself as the sucker punch king and then sucker punching Colby after getting beat fair and square I think he's a dirty mofo.

On the flip side I used to hate Jon Jones. Every fight I wanted him to lose early in his career. I root for him now though. Maybe because I respect how he throws caution to the wind and I can relate with his fuck ups.

Any fighters you used to love or hate that changed your mind in the other direction?

I used to really like Khabib, loved his ”just send me location”, I thought it was so bad ass. How he humbled Conor, just brilliant. Liked his fighting style, going for the finish, etc.

But when he retired and went full dagestani Wallid, talking shit about other fighters, demanding this and that for his team mates, I lost all the respect for him. I wish he would have stayed right away from the spotlights and just enjoyed his retirement. I guess it just showed his true colors, but it spoiled the athlete and his achievements for me.

Colby making an ass of himself and saying dumb shit about Leon's late dad or whatever it was, only to completely job and get his ass whooped made me shift my opinion of him. I was going to remove him from my sig, too, only to find out that if I did, I'd lose a grandfathered feature about having a certain number of lines or something. And, well, we can't have that!

Speaking of stupid ideas by the sherdog staff, why did they remove the ability to see 50 posts per topic? Oh, I know why. They have ads everywhere, don't they lol? This is a cheap trick to try and get people to see more of them since they'll have to constantly click the next page. And, of course, the site won't work if you're using adblock.

But those simpletons don't even check for ublock origin or anything. I still don't see any ads but sherdog thinks I do. lol, lmao.

I have watched Jorge Masvidal since the Kimbo Slice backyard brawl days. I was a fan for years.

After watching an interview about how he described himself as the sucker punch king and then sucker punching Colby after getting beat fair and square I think he's a dirty mofo.

On the flip side I used to hate Jon Jones. Every fight I wanted him to lose early in his career. I root for him now though. Maybe because I respect how he throws caution to the wind and I can relate with his fuck ups.

Any fighters you used to love or hate that changed your mind in the other direction?
The exact polar opposite on Jones.

I initially loved him, and his spinning elbow shit.

Over the years with the endless drug fails, criminality, dirty tactics, being stripped, fake Christian while coked to the gills tweet and delete nonsense, he's probably my least liked fighter.

I haven’t completely “flipped” but I’ve warmed up a lot to Izzy

He was one of the few fighters I actively rooted against. Then when he lost to Alex I appreciated the way he handled it without too many excuses & came back & beat him the next fight. His personality still bugs me, & still wish he would face/beat a dedicated grappler like Silva did Chael, but he’s earned my respect & I no longer want to see him lose.

I use to dislike Shogun but the beating he took from Jones and the blood and guts wars he proceeded to put himself through made me a fan. He's 1 tough fucker

Also Overrem for some reason I just hated him, but flat out respect him now. I've never seen a man getting brutally finished on so many occasions and bounce back as if nothing happened.

Used to really not like anyone from the chutebox academy back in the pride days and then after time kinda started liking them all as they became legends of the sport.

The sucker punch stuff changed my view on Masvidal in a negative way as well.

I was a fan of Jones early on, before he won the title and shortly after. But, after all the cheating, not anymore.

o'malley vs yan. thought o'malley was going to get dominated. he proved he's elite instead.

would have been more appropriate if he lost the decision still.

Can agree with Jorge wholeheartedly, and I now look back fondly on Tony Imada choking the soul out of him.

I used to hate O'Malley, but he's a lanky exciting striker in a division that has a lot of great matchups for him if he can get past Merab, with him vs Sandhagen having potential FOTY written on it IMO

I liked Redman in Def Jam: Fight for NYC but disliked him later in Def Jam: Icon as they watered down his move set.

Last edited:
I used to really like Khabib, loved his ”just send me location”, I thought it was so bad ass. How he humbled Conor, just brilliant. Liked his fighting style, going for the finish, etc.

But when he retired and went full dagestani Wallid, talking shit about other fighters, demanding this and that for his team mates, I lost all the respect for him. I wish he would have stayed right away from the spotlights and just enjoyed his retirement. I guess it just showed his true colors, but it spoiled the athlete and his achievements for me.
What shit did he talk about other fighters?
Is there something specific to which you're referring?

Be careful with your opinions on fighters. I’m seeing a lot of judgement based on what a fighter said. MMA media is horrible but wonderful at grasping at straws for a headline.

What shit did he talk about other fighters?
Is there something specific to which you're referring?
He has been quite disrespectful since he retired. The absolute worst he was in the build up to Charles vs Islam 1 and even before that fight was announced.
Hard to say if it’s a language barrier, he saying things, that he thinks are funny, but come clumsy to everyone elses ears or wtf that all is?
I just hoped, I could have kept my illusion of him being a humble and respectful guy. Turns out he was not that during his career either. All the episodes like making a homeles man do pushups etc. is just not what I think is cool to do, no matter who you are.

A lot of fighters I just hated during their career cause they were either rivals of my favorites or just were cringe/annoying. Most of them I soften on once they stop fighting -- DC, Bisping, Cruz, Chael, etc. I've all developed some degree of liking them when I previously couldn't stand them. I guess seeing them as normal people made me realize how foolish I had been.

That being said, I still have mad fighters I passionately hate lol.. for now

The only reason I stop liking someone is if they are RACIST.

Other than that I’m good

Back